1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preterism is the only honest way to understand bible prophecy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Logos1, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

The parable of the ten virgins and the parable of the talents in Matthew 25 both point to a long delay before Jesus returns.

Mat 25:5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

Mat 25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.

There is also this;

Luk 12:45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink and to be drunken;

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=1706986#post1706986

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=1707038#post1707038

This is bad information that you persist in disseminating.

"It was written in Patmos about A.D.68, whither John had been banished by Domitius Nero, as stated in the title of the Syriac version of the Book; and with this concurs the express statement of Irenaeus (A.D.175), who says it happened in the reign of Domitianou, ie., Domitius (Nero). Sulpicius Severus, Orosius, &c., stupidly mistaking Domitianou for Domitianikos, supposed Irenaeus to refer to Domitian, A.D. 95, and most succeeding writers have fallen into the same blunder. The internal testimony is wholly in favor of the earlier date." (Concise Critical Comments on the Holy Bible, by Robert Young.”

In other words a 'stupid mistake' by Sulpicius Severus and others has resulted in A DOMINO EFFECT of bad information down through the centuries

It's not a fact, it's bad information which you persist in passing along.

Then you desperately need to expand your library. It's as Gill says about it, “the more commonly received opinion” is the late date, and as this shows, these opinions have been based on BAD INFORMATION.

#22 kyredneck, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
  3. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    FYI,

The book of Revelation was put to paper in the last decade of the first century and therefore cannot be used to support the preterist position, in-fact, it is an huge agruement against the system. Proof: Because I said so.

Now run along and have a nice day.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Anything that discredits your position is "bad." :rolleyes:
    So all the editors of history books, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and commentaries are dumb enough not to do their own homework and simply clones of someone else's mistakes? Get a grip!
    I am not one perpetuating myths here. Did Christ come back with dinosaurs also?? Who saw them? Who saw Christ come back? Where is the evidence? If you can't provide the evidence: that he came back with his mighty angels in the glory of his Father; that every eye saw him, and yet at the same time there were no witnesses to record this event then something is obviously wrong with this view.
    My library is over 2,000 books, not counting all the books on my computer and of course the access to the internet. It is extensive.

5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

messiah foot will stand upon the mount when he returns...

jesus will come back to earth SAME WAY he departed, in His bodily form...

ALL the nations ON earth shall go up to jerusalem and pay homage to the KING of God, on HIS throne in the holy city of God

messiah, King, will rule all nations by rod of iron

All people shall know God, as His rule over all the earth

ANY of that fulfilled yet when jesus came back on AD 70?

6. JesusFan

Think that this is actually part of the discussion for eschatology , as depending on being Dispy or covt really govern how read scriptures!

So that we are on same terminology here...

How do you define Covenant/Dispensation from biblical perspective?

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No....it was a coming in judgement as He said in Mt 24....thats all.

Where do you think Jesus returned to in 70AD....
    who saw Him??? where did he go to??

#27 Iconoclast, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
  8. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

DHK and Thomas,

Greetings brothers,

I think it is fair to say that you have tacitly admitted that the bible doesn’t support the notion of a physical return of Christ since you didn’t try to ascribe meaning to unrelated bible verses.

Hey you guys are learning and I commend you on that.

The fact that you drudge up the tired old argument of when Revelation was written to make another feeble run at discrediting Preterism proves you can’t lick Preterism when it comes to examining bible verses so you resort to trickery to attempt to discredit it. (If you can’t beat the argument then discredit the one making it so to speak—I understand you gotta do what you gotta do and your options are pretty slim.)

We’ve covered this ground so many times it is pointless to waste my time on it again. Several Preterists (thanks again Kentucky) have proven that they can more than match you on citing the book of Revelation being written before 70 AD.

But you just keep hammering away at it since you can’t find support in actual bible verses to make your case for futurism and a physical return. Not one verse for either of them—a less dedicated man might think it’s time to re-evaluate his position when the facts don’t line up with his opinion, but you guys can hug the dear life out of a preconceived notion.

After a while it just becomes child’s play beating you guys up with actual bible verses and laughable watching you squirm with trickery to make a counter point.

9. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Yes Sir it was all actually fulfilled you just refuse to acknowledge any of it.

I might point out the obvious—not a single verse you allude to here actually says Christ will return in a physical body you just choose to interpret them in a way that you claim supports your position. Also not a single verse says he will return a long time into the future.

messiah foot will stand upon the mount when he returns... It doesn’t say a physical foot. This is allegorical as when God rides a fast cloud against Egypt, or throws down the mountains, or throws lightning bolts at the enemies of David.

jesus will come back to earth SAME WAY he departed, in His bodily form...uh, read verse 9 he disappeared out of their sight so if he came back the same way that would be invisible or spiritual, but actually this passage doesn’t even refer to his coming back it is about the ascension.

ALL the nations ON earth shall go up to jerusalem and pay homage to the KING of God, on HIS throne in the holy city of God….The Holy City is the New Jerusalem which is the New covenant and all nations are apart of it.

messiah, King, will rule all nations by rod of iron…yep rule over them through the New Covenant.

All people shall know God, as His rule over all the earth…Yep, the gentiles have been brought into a relationship with God through the New Covenant.

What not a single verse that actually said Christ would return in a physical form or body?????????????

So let me ask you this Jesusfan, would you actually admit that there isn’t even one single verse in the bible that actually states Christ would return in a physical body—and if not would you be so kind as to actually reference the verse as in providing a book, chapter, and verse number.

10. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Iconoclast you just did a new post with pretty much the same old ruse.

Where do you think Jesus returned to in 70AD....
    who saw Him??? Since his return was in judgement (no scripture contradicts that) Just refer to Isaiah 19:1 Where it says God rides a swift cloud against Egypt. No one saw the body of God then either did they. But we know those who saw the Assyrian army saw the manifestation of the judgment of God against Egypt so to answer your question those who saw the Roman Army saw the manifestation of Christ’s return. Pretty simple to understand that don’t you think.

where did he go to?? He went to Jerusalem in judgment, but in a larger sense he went everywhere since this ushered in the New Age through the new Covenant.

Read Luke 21:22 For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written.

All things foretold in prophecy must be fulfilled at this time according to Jesus. You are arguing with Jesus not me.

11. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

After 25 posts we see Preterism standing tall and not a single actual bible verse registered against it. Not one. Not a single one. We also not a single bible verse saying Christ would return a long time into the future. Not a single bible verse saying Christ would return in a physical body.

Futurism, dispensationalism, tall tales of raptures, and antichrist figures ruling the world just don’t exist in the bible. They are a sham, a fool’s errand, and an embarrassment to Christianity.

Preterists can point out to Christ saying his Kingdom would come without observation. Luke 17:20

That he told his disciples some would live to see his kingdom come in Luke 9:27

That he told the high priest and those who stabbed him they would see him return.

Seven times in revelation he would come quickly.

There is just no way to deny Christ promised to return in the lives of the first generation of believers. If you believe the words of Christ and his Apostles he said it and that settles it. They never once disputed the soon return or contradicted it.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Logos....I like and believe all these verses...just think you are pushing them ...to far....come back to the mainstream
    All of the covenant curses were coming upon Jerusalem...deut 28-32...thats fine....but I do not over work the verse....

I suspect you mean this as owen spoke of new heaven and new earth...being the nt administration

I

#32 Iconoclast, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is quite apparent that if you were given the Scripture (and you have), that you would simply dismiss it.
    As someone said to an atheist: "If I could give you absolute proof beyond any degree of doubt that Jesus Christ rose from the dead demonstrating that He was God, would you accept my proof?
    His answer would still be no.
    As many Scriptures as I give, your answer would still be "no."

And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven. (Acts 1:9-11)

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

That Jesus will return in a real physical body is shown in Job.

Job 19:25 For I know my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
    26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
    27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Here Job speaks of the resurrection. He will not be a spirit, but actual flesh. And he will see Jesus. Jesus is not invisible here. It also says Jesus will stand upon the earth.

Now, if Job will be flesh, then Jesus will also be flesh. This is shown in 1 Cor 15, the chapter on the resurrection of our physical bodies.

1 Cor 15:49 As we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

This verse says we shall bear the image of Jesus. And Job shows we shall be resurrected flesh. Therefore Jesus will also return in the flesh.

15. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist

We have reached the part of this thread where preterist Iconoclast and preterist Logos1 go head to head on in pitched battle in a dispute on the issue of Jesus actually having returned in AD 70. Diversity within the unity or to the victor goes the spoils?

Kindly pass me the popcorn.

16. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking for myself and my guess is that others here would agree that pointing out Biblical proof for a position one time is enough to make the point. While you never seem to get tired of repeating the same thing over and over, I take it as a sign that you don't either listen or simply don't believe the plain meaning of the words of Scripture, which is of course your personal right.

By the way and take this for what it is worth coming from someone who you don't know. I find your attitude as expressed in the title of the OP and the tone of your follow-up to be somewhat arrogant, condescending and even childish. Perhaps it is your goal to get some negative reaction to make a claim of victimhood but the truth is the preterist position has so many problems both theological and historical that it is difficult to engage in serious debate with a stright face.

17. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Logos 1, you keep saying this, as if to convince yourself that it's true. But repeating it over and over again doesn't help your case, because it simply isn't so.

As has been pointed out by several others, Acts 1:9-11 is the absolute deathknell to the Hyper-preterist system. It simply blows it out of the water.

'This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.'

It's the same Jesus, the flesh and blood One (Luke 24:39) who went into heaven; it's the same One who will return. He left 'as they watched' (Acts 1:9); people will watch Him return. He was received out of their sight by a cloud; the clouds will part to reveal Him (Rev 1:7).

The Job 19 text is also a clincher. Either of them absolutely destroy your case. So please stop wittering on about H-P standing tall. Actually, it's lying dead on the carpet.

Steve

18. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    A question Covenant A-mills and by extension post-mills and preterists cannot answer is if we as born again believers are living in the kingdom promised to the Israelites, the Messianic Kingdom or the Millennium with Jesus ruling on the throne of David, then why will we need changed and glorified resurrected bodies?

19. JesusFan

I will answer you if you answer this!

was jesus raised up as a physical resurrected body, same one he had, but glorofied?

Will there be a physical resurrection from/of the dead in Christ or not?

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thomas,
    This is not a problem at all.It suggests you have not read many of those you easily seem to set aside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.