1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pretrib quotes before the 1800s?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by BrianT, Jun 12, 2002.

1. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Benjamin Keach, writing in Expositions of the Parables in the Bible (1671), on page 643, takes a pre-trib pre-mil position.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you type out the quote or is it too long?

Ken

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see anything in the quotes by Tertullian and Ambrose that could be definitively called "pretrib premill". Any of the eschatological schools could read their ideas into them. All eschatological schools teach that there is a "rapture". It is the timing of it and what happens after it that differentiates them.

Amill but galloping toward postmill, [​IMG]

Ken
    Were it not for grace...

4. DocCas

DocCas New Member

It is the consenses of opinion that Tertullian was a Chiliast. That does not make him either pre-trib or dispensational, but it does make him pre-mil.

5. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Hi DocCas, I've been waiting for a response from you. [​IMG] Can you provide the quote (and any necessary context), explaining where/how Keach teaches pretrib. I have seen a snippet of this quote (talking about a "precursory...spiritual coming"), but not enough to see in what form Keach thinks this coming takes, or how it teaches or even supports pretrib. I saw nothing in the quote about rapturing the church.

Also, you mention pretrib quotes from the church fathers as early as the 3rd century. Can you provide any quotes/references from them?

Thanks,
    Brian

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a lot of Chiliasm during the first three centuries of the church. But they were not of the Darbyite type of pretrib, premill variety of the past 30 years.

Of course the first few centuries of the church also produced the papacy, so I'm not sure anything past the first century would be a reliable gauge of what was taught while the apostles were alive. But, even better, we have the Bible from the Holy Spirit. It's just that on certain subjects that are bathed in symbolism Christians don't agree on what He meant when the Bible was written.

Ken

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I don't believe you will find a full "Darby" position in the early church because it took a "Darby" to propound it.

All we can do is find parts and pieces as I attempted.

However, I lost my interest in this subject because it took so long to sift through all the early church writings concerning the Second Comming.

BTW, I'm not a Darby-ite myself although I would comsider myself a chiliast with Christ returning before it starts.

In a nutshell and for what its worth, I see the "tribulation" coming upon the entire world with the Church hidden and protected from the wrath of God (as Israel and the Passover) while yet present in the earth.

HankD

8. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I'm not looking for a specifically "Darby" quote, just anything where the church is raptured prior to the second coming. Parts and pieces are OK, if the context supports it. Tertullian was obviously not pretrib though. [​IMG]

Chiliasm is basically "premill". It does not state Christ will return before the trib, only that the 1000 year reign begins with his coming.

From your second comment about protection, it sounds like you hold a type of posttrib viewpoint. Have I understood you correctly? If so, I would be interested in hearing (in a different thread, to keep this one on topic) how you believe Christ comes before the trib, but the rapture doesn't happen until after the trib.

Brian

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally I believe Christ comes ending the tribulation and that we (the church) protected from the wrath of God will meet Him at His coming in the air to go to the Mt of olives to witness the final put down of His enemies. Then comes the millenium.

This is by way of preference not of conviction.

HankD

10. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Hi DocCas, I've been waiting for a response from you. [​IMG] Can you provide the quote (and any necessary context), explaining where/how Keach teaches pretrib. I have seen a snippet of this quote (talking about a "precursory...spiritual coming"), but not enough to see in what form Keach thinks this coming takes, or how it teaches or even supports pretrib. I saw nothing in the quote about rapturing the church.

Also, you mention pretrib quotes from the church fathers as early as the 3rd century. Can you provide any quotes/references from them?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Bump for DocCas.... Still interested and still waiting... [​IMG]

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't remember but didn't dispensational teaching have it's roots in a theory developed by a Roman Catholic priest, (I want to say Rivera or something like that) picked up by Issac Watts and then to Darby? Not sure but pretty sure any help?

12. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Are you thinking of Lacunza? There is a pretty good article on the history of dispensational development at http://www.geocities.com/lasttrumpet_2000/timeline/index.html which seems fairly complete, so I'm very interested in any pretrib support prior to 1800, especially obtaining the details of DocCas's claims - hint hint, DocCas! ;)

Brian

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    See my post third from the bottom of the first page of this thread.

Ken

14. BrianT

BrianT New Member

bump - still interested. [​IMG]

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

See the article in the most recent issue of BibSac. It deals with this topic.

16. BrianT

BrianT New Member

What's BibSac? Is it online?

Thanks. [​IMG]

17. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

"And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power." (Mk. 9:1)

Wow! There are some 2,000+ year old people walking the earth as we speak!

18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

BibSca is Bibliotheca Sacra, the theological journal of Dallas Theological Seminary. The recent issues are probably not online though you should be able to view it at a good library.

As for the 2000 year old people walking around, Glen missed the next chapter when those standing there did see the kingdom of God in its glory, so much that they wanted to stay right there and not come back. Christ told them they had to come back though. That is the most normal explanation of that passage considering all things. However, it does not deal with pretrib quotes before the 1800s and thus is not in the purview of this thread.

19. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Thanks, I'll try and check it out. There is a good Baptist seminary near here that may be able to help me with that. However, if anyone is able/willing to post the details of that article here in the mean time, I wouldn't be offended. ;)

Brian

20. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

The reason there is a shortage of pretrib quotes before the 1800s is because:

1. THEY DO NOT EXIST.
    2. If they exist, they were quotes from Catholic writers (ahhh, what a connection!).
    3. Quotes after 1830 trace their source to a Margaret MacDonald who spoke in a trance while being demon-possessed (yikes, another occultic connection!).

If I said it a million times, I'm gonna say it again, there was no doctrine of a pretrib rapture from the time of Christ to the early 1800s.

Old MacDonald (and the demon inside her) originated it. If only pretribbers would examine the doctrine's historicity with an open mind...and an open heart. :rolleyes: