1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pretrib Rapture via the Socratic Method

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Jul 7, 2007.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

Hey all,

Seems that we go over the same verses over and over and no one can agree on interpretation nor accurate terminology. Let's try the Socratic method: starting from "square one" intellectually and asking provocative questions. Then, once the all the terms are accurately defined and all the facts presented, the truth is what is left (according to Socrates). Here's a verse to start with:

Luke 21:35-36 -- "And take heed to yourselves ... so that day come upon you unawares. For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

What is "that day?"

What is the "snare?"

Who will "dwell on the whole earth?"

Who is "worthy to escape?"

What does "escape all these things that shall come to pass" mean?

What does "stand before the Son of man" mean?

Who is the "Son of man?"

skypair

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

Here's another that seems so parallel as to give us the answers -- Rev 3:10

"Because thou hast kept the word of my patience [worthy], I also will keep thee from [escape] the hour [that day] of temptation [snare], which shall come upon all the world [face of the whole earth], to try them that dwell upon the earth. Behold, I come quickly [I come on you unawares]: hold that fast which thou hast [watch and pray], that no one take thy crown [before the Bema, standing before the Son of man]."

"That day" = DOTL and DoC, tribulation on earth, Bema in heaven

"Snare" = testing, tribulation

"Earth dwellers" = those left behind on the earth

"Worthy to escape" = believers, saved in Christ, "His at His coming" 1Cor 15:23

"Things that shall come to pass" = judgments of tribulation

"Stand before Son of man" = Bema, 1Cor 3:13, 2Cor 5:10, where we get crowns.

"Son of man" = Jesus

skypair