1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pride

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of curiosity, having skimmed the pages of this thread: Are we discussing what level of self-flagellating monk-hood we should strive to attain?

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

In Psalm 47:4 looks like you have found some poor translation that has used the word pride which is totally improper. In that context it means exaltation, majesty so no all pride is still sin according to scripture.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually FAL the English word "pride" in Psalm 47:4 derives from the same Hebrew word as in the following passage:

NIV Psalm 47:4 He chose our inheritance for us, the pride of Jacob, whom he loved. Selah​

KJV Job 35:12 There they cry, but none giveth answer, because of the pride of evil men.​

In each passage the Hebrew word is the same: ga'own

TWOT Lexicon #299e: ga'own Proud, pride, majesty ,exaltation.
    Comment in the Lexicon: The word "pride-ga'own" can be used positively or negatively in the OT.

So depending upon the inner motivation of the heart ga'own (pride) in the scriptures can be good or evil.

HankD

#23 HankD, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Thank you...It's nice to have smart people around. :smilewinkgrin:

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks.

FAL is smart.
    Sometimes he (like all of us) forgets to do his homework or doesn't realize things are not always as simple as they seem.

He has called a lot of important things to our attention.

HankD

6. Andy_S

Andy_S Member

I also have struggled with this issue. There seem to be some examples in scripture of people feeling satisfied with their work and achievements, but for me, the boundaries with pride are often blurred. I often feel that I have had some success in something, but I do wonder if this is, again, pride!

7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

OHHH!!! Apoligies to FAL...It was not my intent to say he was not smart, simply that you (Hankd) are smarter than me for finding the Hebrew word meaning that I failed to find.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OOPS, my bad, I'm sorry.

HankD