1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Priest and Wine

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Jul 26, 2010.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus had quite a bit to say to the Pharisees about cultural practices. We best just stick to what God says is right and wrong.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But it really DOES make a difference when the Scripture gives us liberty. It's the "meat offered to idols" thing. :)

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly Ann....your spot on here :thumbs:

4. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

The Gospel Doesn't Entertain the Flesh

The gospel has nothing to do with entertaining the flesh or relieving the sinner of circumstances that his sin has induced. It has everything to do with declaring the holiness of God, the depravity of the human condition, and of the awful price that Jesus paid to reconcile fallen sinners to an impeccable God. It is a message to sober the frivolous, to humble the proud, to awaken the indifferent and careless ones; a message to break the blasphemer, silence the scoffer, and to cause the sinner to repent. It is a message to prepare new creatures for heaven, not rehabilitate sinners to live more comfortably on the earth or more prosperously in this world.

--Dick York, missionary and founder of Shield of Faith Mission International.

http://www.thebereancall.org/node/8733

Does drinking alcohol "entertain the flesh" or glorify God?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Does eating cake "entertain the flesh" or glorify God?

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I use to say the same thing until I came accross the scripture that says we kings should not drink wine nor strong drink. I couldn't find a way to twist it into anything but what it clearly says....kings are not to drink wine nor strong drink.

Rev 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him [be] glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Pro 31:4[It is] not for kings, O Lemuel, [it is] not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
    Pro 31:5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet we see Jesus making wine, Paul telling Timothy to drink wine and God telling His people to buy wine and strong drink and enjoy.

You DO realize that the verse in Proverbs was a directly spoken condition to Lemuel - and to kings as in rulers. When I rule my own country, I will be sure to not drink wine or strong drink. ;)

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So this is how you dismiss the proverb? You say it is just for Lemuel?

You are a king Ann, that makes you a ruler. You can accept your God given title or you can pretend God never said it. That is your liberty in Christ.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What is my kingdom? Is this verse speaking to rulers of earthly kingdoms (what a typical "king" means) or is this spiritual? If it's spiritual, then it applies to me - but alcohol is not spiritual.

Was Timothy a king? What about Jesus' disciples? Were they kings? The early church? Were they kings? They all consumed alcohol.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Luk 17:21Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Seeing that it has been entered into the holy scriptures for our learning it would carry a earthly and a spiritual application.

What does alcohol not being spiritual have to do with it? It is not for kings - which one you are - to drink wine or strong drink. You are a king in the kingdom of God and are left here on earth to represent Jesus Christ as one of His kings. You lead a ministry - as all Christians do - and that makes you a "leader - ruler - king" in the kingdom of God. Your own conscience and spirit convicts you that you should abstain because of your ministry to teens. Follow the Spirit in this no matter what your ministry is at any given time. Always be prepared to lead and never allow yourself to be caught off guard with a drink in your hand.

Yes, see Rev 1:6.

That is what the pro-alcohol camp would have us believe. I don't believe the scripture supports this view.

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Alcohol consumption is not forbidden in scripture when it is used for medicinal purposes.

The problem lies within the attitude of the heart.

God judges the motives of the heart.

If one pursues alcohol for the purpose of getting a buzz then it is sin.

If one pursues alcohol knowing it will cause a buzz then it is sin.

Christians are to steer clear of mind and mood altering drugs of any kind. As kings of the kingdom of God and living here on earth we are to soberly lead the lost towards Christ.

#91 steaver, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010