1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Priest Proclaims Potter Poofter

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by mioque, Oct 6, 2005.

1. mioque

mioque New Member

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1813617,00.html
    Teacher expelled 'offensive author'
    By Simon de Bruxelles

ONE of Britain’s bestselling children’s authors has been thrown out of a secondary school for offensive language and describing Harry Potter to children as “not the only gay in the village”.

Graham Taylor, author of the fantasy novel Shadowmancer, was giving a talk to 120 pupils at a secondary school when Barbara Vann, the head teacher, stepped in and stopped him. Mr Taylor, a former vicar, said that he was shocked when asked to leave the premises during a questions-and-answers session. Mrs Vann said that he had used inappropriate language, including such words as “crap, tits, fart and arse” and was “on the verge of using the F-word” when he stopped himself. She also said that the comments he made about Harry Potter, the chief rival to his books, were “homophobic”.

Mr Taylor’s books are second in popularity only to the Harry Potter series, written by J.K. Rowling. The 47-year-old author from Scarborough, a former police constable and Anglican priest, was giving the talk at Penair Secondary School, in Truro, Cornwall, as part of a nationwide tour to promote creative writing among schoolchildren. He was speaking to the children in a language they understand, he said. “The language I was using is the sort that you hear in playgrounds. In any playground you will hear language that is far in excess of that.”

He also denied being “homophobic”, although he admitted to describing Potter villains as wimps. “I said that Harry Potter was not ‘the only gay in the village’. It was a joke. A joke from Little Britain that the children would know. I was having a bit of a laugh and the children laughed.”

Mrs Vann said: “We know that children use inappropriate language but we don’t have staff using that language. He was very over the top.”

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

He said it was a joke. It was a bad joke. C'mon, Taylor, not an appropriate comment to say in front of kids.

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The actual words he used that supposedly caused offence were 'fart','bum' (which in the UK means backside not Gentleman of the Road), and 'gay'; the average 12-year old in this country is sadly conversant with far stronger words than that. Even the 'gay' word was used in the context of the series Little Britain, which has surely crossed the Pond by now so y'all know what we're talking about here (Dafydd: "I am the only gay in the village"), so he wasn't actually calling Potter a pooftah, just making the comment that Rowling's creation was far from unique.

Political correctness gone mad...I don't know. He call himself an ordained Anglican minister and he uses language like that. All this modern language, huh. Where were the 'Thees' and 'Thous', a few 'Yea verily I say unto yous' wouldn't go amiss either. What is the Church of England coming too.

4. mioque

mioque New Member

It felt just wonderfull to use a pastiche of a cheesy British tabloid headline. [​IMG]

5. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

It's one thing for children to experiment with "bad" words, and quite another for an adult, particularily of Taylors stature to do so in their presense.