1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Priesthood of Believers

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by drfuss, Oct 11, 2007.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Exodus 19:5,6
    Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

In the Old Testatment, Israel was intended to be a "kingdom of priest". In the New Testament, we are "a royal priesthood". Is there a connection between the two?

In what ways are we a royal priesthood?

Are there specific responsibilities for us as being a royal priesthood?

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Its one of the most wonderful truths for us as christians.

Under the old covenant, there were men who acted the the "go betweens"...connecting the regular people to God.

God has now abolished that mindet. Under the new covenant we are a "royal priesthood", meaning of course...every single believe is a "priest" so to speak. No "go between" to connect us to God.

We are all connected directly. Its made beautifully clear where the scriptures teach that all of us, every born again person, is already, right now, viewed as "seated in the heavenlies, in Christ Jesus".

At the same time, Jesus said "in that day you will know that I am in the Father, and the Father is in me, I am in you"
    Jesus Christ is alive, through the Holy Spirit, in every single born again person.

Unfortunetly, some false organisations such as the Catholic Church refuse these truths from their victims, and instead they construct a Godless "Priesthood" who *supposedly* are the "go between" regarding the regular people and God.

What hidious error that is, buts a great way to keep their people in bondage to "The Hierarchy"

Sadly,

Mike

3. drfuss

drfuss New Member

The scripture says "you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation."

A kingdom of priests 'for God?

Would this be different than a kingdom of priests for men?

What role would each play?

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Christ is our High Priest and King, so that makes a Royal Priesthood.

5. D28guy

D28guy New Member

We...all of us...are Gods "representatives" on earth. He lives in us and guides and empowers us. We have the Holy Spirit alive in us. Every believer is available to share the good news of Gods gospel, with Gods anointing, for any of the "whosoeverwills" that cross our way.

Isnt it wonderful? :thumbs:

Mike

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes "you are a royal priesthood" as Peter states. All the special designations given to Israel - are given to the saints in the NT.

Paul addresses this point in Romans 9 "they are not all Israel who are sons of the flesh... but sons of the PROMISE".

Israel as a nation of priests - was to evangelize the world just as we as Christians - are also a royal priesthood with the job of teaching others about the Word of God and the same plan of salvation "preached to US JUST as it was to THEM also".

in Christ,

Bob