1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Priesthood of the Believers

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Oct 6, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Exodus 19:5,6
    Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Do you believe that this doctrine is only a New Testament Doctrine? If so why?

2. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Yes, I believe the "holy nation" aspect was specifically given to Israel. I think the NT reiterates the basic promise of blessings for anyone following God, but the NT deals with individuals and not nations.

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

When it is mentioned again in the NT the phrase is used again most likely because Peter is quoting Exodus 19. I do not believe there is any different intent between Exodus 19 then there is in 1 Peter 2. Israel being a called out nation is another subject.

4. tjfkbrawny

tjfkbrawny New Member

It was an OT promise too. The verse quoted shows it, am I right? Do I get a prize?

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Moses and his disciples received the promise in this verse --- by FAITH!!!

You and I as disciples of the Lord Jesus receive the same promise --- by FAITH!!!

I'm preaching a series on the Ten Commands ---- the message to Old Testament believers was

the same Lord God who etched the commands on tables of stone would one day come and etch the same commands on tables of flesh

Yes --- the promise was to those OT saints who received it by faith

Can you imagine the native Canaanites as the Israelites passed by???

"Boys!!! There's somethin' pecular about those Hebrews --- we just can't put our fingers on the source of their pecularity!!!"

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"their sandals look REALLY old!" :D

7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Yes, I believe that Priesthood of the Believers is a second covenant truth. I look at the nation of Israel in the Old Testament and in my view they represented anything but this doctrine. They were a Theocracy with Moses directly communicating with God and with a designated group serving as Priests. I don't think the average citizen felt that they had the ability or the right to interpret God's law or to directly communicate with Him.

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

In what passage of scripture does it say that the doctrine of the Preisthood of believers deals with the indiviual interpreting scripture or communicating with God?

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Before v.9 Peter has already mentioned that NT believers are a holy priesthood in v. 5 of 1 Pet 2.

2. Not will be, but actually are a holy priesthood. This is part of our new identity as the people of God.

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

When you say new are you meaning as in New Testament or as converts in Christ.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I don't think there's a difference here. Peter was addressing a church of both Jews and Gentiles.

12. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: One aspect of the Priesthood of believers is that we can go directly to God. Are there other aspects or responsabilities of being a part of the Priesthood of believers? If so, what are they?

13. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

How do you define Priesthood of all believers (with scriptural support)? I'll find scripture for my view. Actually, it's what I've always been taught as a lifelong Baptist.

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

2Tim, I see this as a conditional promise ... "IF you obey My voice and keep my covenant." It's kinda like the land covenant ... "If you will obey, you will prosper in the land but if not, you get the boot!

We know of OT priests who were slain by God, not worthy to be priests, right? Wasn't it Samuel's sons? And he main point of obedience that allowed them even to perform the ceremonies was bringing their own sacrifice and cleansing before doing so for the tribes.

In the NT, believers obey and keep the covenant through Christ. So yes, we are priests -- something that was nigh impossible for the OT saints.

skypair

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Outside of those who fell, there were always faithful priests to God--Ezekiel the prophet was also a priest.

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

Umm -- OK. But I would consider "nigh impossible" to be a handful of those millions that lived at any one time, wouldn't you?

skypair

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How then should we understand the Remnant that was preserved by God through 70yrs of Babylonian captivity, to return to their homeland in the times of Nehemiah, Ezra and Zerubbabel?

18. skypair

skypair Active Member

Not as all "priests." In the OT, priesthood required lineage of Levi, right? Christ came along as the exception, He being a priest after the order of Melchizedec -- that is, not of Levi but of Judah. They were the only ones who could serve before God.

What you may be thinking of is "prophets" or just believers.

skypair

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Are you saying that only Levites were preserved as the Remnant of God under the OT? Do you have Scripture for that?

20. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

The right to read and interpret scripture is another major aspect. Catholics had their beliefs dictated to them by the Pope and their priest. Baptists held to the belief that each individual Christian had the right and the responsibility to work out their faith by studying scripture and prayer (and Bible study and preaching).

Phl 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.