1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Primary Translation

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by neal4christ, Jun 12, 2003.

1. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I was wondering the same thing. ;)

Neal

2. aefting

aefting New Member

The KJV is the official version used in the preaching and teaching at my church. It's easier to follow along using a KJV. And of course, when I teach at church, I use my KJV.

At home, it's another matter. I love the ESV and use it for reading, studying, and family devotions (my children are 4 and under). Frankly, I long for the day when modern conservative versions like the NASB and the ESV will be acceptible for preaching and teaching at IFB churches. I think that has started to occur but it is far from wide-spread.

Andy

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    NIV is official version at our church (in pew bibles and hymnals). I preach from the NKJV.

I like the Greek, so use my St. Stephens 1555 for personal study.

Think that LOTS of churches have official (or de facto) versions that may NOT be the "favorite" of all members.

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doc, You are so right! At "my" church the version used in the pews is the NIV and that is also what we find printed in the quarterlies we take home. But I am not a huge NIV fan myself, but feel that there should be some sort of commonality among the church so I do most of my preaching from the NIV. Also we have many "fringe" Christians that don't bring a bible with them to church and just use whatever is provided and I don't want it to be different then what they are holding in there hands at the time.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem that I have is that the versions I like such as the ESV, NRSV and NASB, nobody has! The percentages of NIV and KJV's sold kill all the others even when they are combined.
    BTW I don't use the KJV because I have enough English as a second language speakers in the congregation that it is confusing for them so I try and be kind to them in the regard.

6. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

Same here, the NIV is the (more or less) official version in our church.

BTW, I was moseying around yesterday through a couple of Christian bookstores here in central Illinois (Springfield), and noticed that, outside of the NIV, KJV, NLT, and to a lesser extent NKJV, it was very difficult to find a Bible in another version. Very discouraging for those of us who prefer the ESV and/or NASBU. It's also puzzling in that, as I recall, the ESV release a couple of years ago seemed to be with much fanfare.

7. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

KJB all the way around
    'til my body reaches the ground,
    or in the air on the upward way ,
    I shall be found!

Poetic justice :D

8. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

At Home:
    Wiclif
    Tyndale
    Geneva (1599)
    Geneva (1557)
    Rheims (1582) - NT only
    The true Authorised Version (1611)
    Luther's Translation

At Church:
    ESV (or my wife's NKJV)

Most of my "home" Bibles are reproductions, and they are huge, so I look like a Bible Thumper if I take them to church.....although I sometimes do!! [​IMG]

If I had to pick a "primary" I would lean towards my Wiclif translation.

9. Harald

Harald New Member

I have Wiclif's NT on the harddrive, and I must say I like some of its reading well. Although it is reportedly translated from the Latin Vulgate it reflects the Greek accurately in many instances, sometimes even topping the KJV.

Harald

10. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

The New Scofield Reference Edition for home, church, Suday School, and just for fun. Next would be the NASB. that takes care of 99.99% of difficulties but I will not hesitate to try and discover if the originals say anything different (as best I can).