1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Primitive Baptist and 1689 confession

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Southern, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Southern

Southern New Member

I heard that there were Primitive Baptist's who claimed to be heirs of the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith. Is this true? or do most reject it as a true representative of Primitive Baptist teaching.

In Christ,
    Bobby

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern, I think this would be generally true. I have read a number of Primitive Baptist writers quote the 1689 London as representative of Baptist/Primitive Baptist teaching. Most would probably find some parts with which to disagree.

3. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

As a Primitive Baptist person, I can say that we do in my part of the world. We don't however, think that it is a perfect document, and there would be quibbles here and there on the intrepretation of this and that.

Jeff.

4. Dallaeus

Dallaeus New Member

Southern,

The 1689 Confession has become the hallmark of the "Reformed Baptist" movement. I am not sure though that, with its adoption of Covenant theology (as far as a Baptist can go),it really represents the first English Baptist theology, of which I perceive the Primitive Baptists to be the heirs.

I know that until today some Regular or Primitive Baptists hold to the FIRST London Confession
    http://www.kindredminds.org/index2.htm

We have to remember that within the "Calvinistic Baptist" family, you'll find Primtive Baptists, Gospel Standard Baptists, Sovereign Grace Baptists, Reformed Baptists, New Covenant Baptists...Many of those groups use the 1689, since it is well-known historic confession, but sometimes with major modifications.