1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prison ministry

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by jim62, Feb 15, 2005.

1. jim62

jim62 New Member

I have some inmates on death row, and doing life, men and women that are looking for pen-pals if you would like to write an inmate e-mail me for [email protected]

ps you must be 18 or older :D

2. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Is it by snail mail or email?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Are these christian inmates?
    If not, from experience I know you have to be careful.

4. jim62

jim62 New Member

Yes it is Snail mail.

I have both saved an unsaved. I don't mix, men with men inmates, and women with women.

I sent out 370 christmas cards with tracts to death row, and them doing life. About 30 wrote back that are christian. [​IMG]

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Do they allow the tracts in there since it isn't an actual letter?

6. jim62

jim62 New Member

Yes, I have gotten tracts back were the inmate read it, and put there names on it.

7. jim62

jim62 New Member

I love prison ministry, inmates can't give back.

Love is the total giving of one's self for the benefit of another, as a determined act of the will, without expecting anything in return.

Like what Christ did on the cross.

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dear Jim62,
    Please PM me with the name and address of an inmate. I have been meaning to do this for sometime now anyhow. Thankyou in advance.

9. jim62

jim62 New Member

Dear Plain old Bill,

I e-mailed you an inmates info. and I forward some info. on tips for corresponding. Thank you for caring. Your inmate is active in the prison church.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Jim, I'm talking with my husband about doing this. I've written to people in county jails before, but not prison. Our jail ministry at church when people do letter writting they have to have it sent to them at the church. If I did this I'd have to do the samething, my husband wouldn't agree any other way. And he hasn't yet.
    You said to Bill you sent some tips on corresponding, could you PM those to me please?

11. jim62

jim62 New Member

donnA, If you e-mail me I can forward them to you [email protected]. I use a po box it's $24.00 every 6 months

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Good idea.(p o box)
    you'll be getting mail from kysunflower.

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Donna: I know of an inmate who would love for you to correspond with him and I can guarantee he is trustworthy and will not hunt you down when he gets out. I think you have read his monthly devotionals.

I write to about nine inmates in the WI prison system. It was such a blessing to receive Christmas cards or letters from them this past year!

Jim: I commend you for what you do.

§ue [​IMG]

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Sue why didn't I think of him,,, my mind is dimming with age,, I can barely think......

I believe I still have a newsletter in my email now. How many pen pals does he have?

Jim Thanks for the guidelines, very interesting. I know how important letters are to them, I have written to inmates before, and my son was an inmate for 2 years. I used to visit (in county jail)a guy whose parents never visited, he had no visitors except me, and he rarely got a lettter, so I started including a letter for him with my sons.

15. I Am Blessed 24

Donna: He only has one penpal that I know of and that person is also a member of the BB.

Other than that, he has two family members who write him 2-3 times a year, and myself. I try to write 2-3 times a month.

After almost 4 years, everyone seems to have forgotten about him. [​IMG]

If you don't have his latest devotional, I will resend his address.

16. jim62

jim62 New Member

This pass christmas was great, I sent out 370 chrismas cards, about 25 was serial killers, like Charles Manson, David berkowitz (son of sam). Do you know that David Berkowitz, GOT SAVED IN PRISON. PRAISE GOD!! God can go into the darkess of souls. Focus on the Family have two cd's of him telling how he got saved. I so happy to hear that he got saved. Now when an inmate writes and says" I can't get saved I did some bad things. so you tellem about The son of Sam getting saved, and there story can't mach up, it's an open door. And we know who the Door is.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

One of the very worse things about prison is not confinement but being forgotten. I'll check and see and start writing to him this week Sue. Why don't you send me his birthday and other important dates I could send cards for too.

18. I Am Blessed 24

Thanks, Donna. Will do. He just had his birthday and anniversary though, so you're safe for another year. LOL

19. baptistk

baptistk New Member

Couldn't this be a little dangerous? Writing to inmates I mean. They would know where you live. :confused:

20. I Am Blessed 24

I believe Jim said he uses a P.O. Box. Others have the mail come and go through their church.

As for me, I'm not worried about it. The prisoner who recommends the men I write to, I know personally, and the men are all Christians in various stages of growth...