1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Private Prayer Language

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Joseph_Botwinick, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't think it's an issue of confining God to a "theological box" but rather an issue of going by the Bible. The Bible does not give support for a private prayer language and therefore, I think it's wiser not to accept it as valid. I won't argue with people who say they have a private prayer language - but I won't say it might be valid, either, when there is no biblical support for it.

2. cindig2

cindig2 New Member

Pastor SBC,
    If any of these pastors I mentioned believe in a private prayer language, why are they Southern Baptist, why would they be keeping it a secret if it is something from God? I pray we (Southern Baptists) don't go down this road. I have witnessed it first hand. My husband was brought up AOG, after 25 years he is now a Southern Baptist. I have been a member (against my beliefs) of AOG because that is where my husband wanted to go, and that was what he believed. It's all about tongues, when someone is saved, it's like "ok, now we have that "little" thing taken care of, you need to speak in TONGUES! That was always the goal. Think it won't happen to Southern Baptist if we start thinking the same way?
    Why would God give us something to edify ourselves? It's always suppose to be about God, not ourselves. I have been spending time on the SBC website, because I want to know what is going on at the convention. I typed in tongues in the search box, there are some interesting articles on tongues. One in particular I found really good was "Position Paper Concerning the IMB Policy on Glossolalia". Read down to where it's talking about Bertha Smith and the book she wrote called "How the Holy Spirit Filled My Life".
    What does it mean to speak in tongues, does it mean you are Spirit filled? That is what they all believe. They can speak in tongues one day, then have an affair the next. I have always believed that being filled with the Spirit meant, I gave Him total control of my life to guide me and use me as He sees fit, not that I babbled in unitelligable words.
    I don't mean to sound uncaring, but this is something that is very close to my heart. I have been dragged around to different "tongues speaking churches", and now we are both on the same page. I have always loved my Baptist Heritage, I cringe at the thought of this happening to the church I love.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I've never understood private prayer language as speaking in tongues or anything related to worship. I have understood it to be praying from the spirit so deeply that you don't even know what to ask for. I'm not saying I have partook of private prayer language but I have been on my knees, tears in my eyes, wanting to talk with the LORD but did not know how to state my petition.

Paul is said to address this phenomenon in Rom 8:26.27 when he says, “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

In my case, I just kneeled and cried but it's my understanding this is where private prayer language comes into play. My understanding can be wrong.

In the priesthood of Aaron, prayers went behind the veil. Though Jesus rent the veil, our prayers are still said to not go directly to our father. A common teaching is GOD doesn’t even speak our language, he knows our hearts which is why we need an interpreter. However, we all know this would dispute GOD as being all knowing.

4. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Our pastor is doing a teaching on "speaking in tongues" in Sunday School. We discussed this very topic this past Sunday--and what he taught about "private prayer language" is almost exactly what you said, LeBuick--referencing Rom. 8:26-27. When you just don't have any words to pray, you simply let the Holy Spirit take over -- they are words which "cannot be uttered".

Good post. I agree and that is my conclusion about private prayer language also.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Cin,

I respect your views.

However, I think you are confusing the speaking in tongues as seen on TBN and in other groups with the issue of a private prayer language. I think they are 2 completely different issues.

Please do not misunderstand my position. I am not saying that the SBC go the way of the AOG or TBN. My entire point is there are people whom I respect that claim they have had a private prayer language. Therefore, I just cannot dismiss it.

I have never had it, nor do I seek to have it. And I do not plan on doing anything of the sort in my church.

6. PastorSBC1303

The Bible does not specifically address private prayer language. However as I have stated many times here the verses in 1 Corinthians and Romans 8 are not cut and dry. I believe there is more there than we completely grasp.

I think we have become so turned off by the charismatic movement in the world (and rightfully so) that we dismiss all things we do not understand.

I think we should just be honest enough to admit we do not have all the answers regarding the issue.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Those you know who have experienced this form of prayer, was it in private or during worship?

8. PastorSBC1303

always private.

9. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Well, I will also agree that I dont claim to have a grasp on all God is and does. However, it makes no sense to me that a believer would need a "prayer language". We have established (and many have posted) how special it is when the Holy Spirit fills in the blanks to our prayers, when we just dont have the words to do so ourselves. If He is doing that in our lives, and we dont have the words anyway, then why the need for "words" that we still wont understand?
    I know people who have the "gift" as well, and its done in private. And I respect them and their relationship with the Lord. But that doesnt mean their experience is what they believe it to be.

10. PastorSBC1303

It doesn't mean that their experience is not what they believe either.

11. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I understand that, too, and if it keeps them in a close relationship with the Father, then great (I guess). But I have never known one person who prayed in tongues that thought that others who did not were just as spiritual as they.

12. PastorSBC1303

That is true in some situations, and that adds to the problem.

The people I am refering to do not feel that way.

There is no way to completely grasp something like this, and I am completely happy with my prayer language and have no desire for a private prayer language. But it does make for interesting discussions.

13. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

ok, lol. Truce.

14. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I don't feel that way.

15. Sister Robin

Sister Robin New Member

If not, then what is it? :confused:

16. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Just because I believe something is right or wrong, doesnt mean that is really is. We cant create our own realities. For example, when we moved to Louisiana some years back, a game that was often played was cabbage ball. I called it softball, it looked like a softball to me. But it wasnt a softball. I had never seen a cabbage ball before, so I assumed that it was a softball. My experience colored my belief about that ball.
    Now I know thats a silly thing, but I have also read accounts where pagans spoke in tongues and it certainly wasnt in a context of missions or glorifying God in any way.
    As I said before, just because I dont pray in tongues doesnt mean that those who do cant have a meaningful relationship with their Father. I am glad they do. I am not saying that it is satanic either. I dont claim to have a handle on the things that are experienced in Christianity, and I would assume that no one here does.

We must be very careful not to let our experiences dictate our doctrine.

#76 TaterTot, Jun 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2006
  17. Sister Robin

Sister Robin New Member

Tatertot, not trying to put you on the spot or anything. :smilewinkgrin:

It just seems that most people (not all) who don't believe that the prayer language truly is a work of the Holy Spirit, never or rarely can offer up any other alternative.

Well honestly folks, it has happened to me before, in a worship service. I was not praying for tongues, and nobody there was trying to influence me. I just went up to be prayed for with a silent request. When I went back to my seat, I was praying quietly and started shaking a little, more like a tremble... then I felt it coming up from deep within, I opened my mouth and out came the strange words I'd never heard before. They told me it was my prayer language. I still have it, but the Baptists here have pretty much convinced me that it isn't real. ;) That's why I keep asking what in the world is it then?

I prayed before that service that the Lord would not let me be deceived or receive anything that was not of Him... and that's what I got. So...

#77 Sister Robin, Jun 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2006
  18. PastorSBC1303

If I may jump back in here for a moment...

I agree completely with Tater in that we do not allow experience to dictate our doctrine.

Robin, I do not think anyone here is going to doubt your experience. How has that experience helped/edified you? Has it changed your doctrine?

19. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Sista, I am glad you have had a neat prayer experience. But my question would be - did you base your experience on scripture or do you find scriptures to support your experience?
    I went to a church once for while where the prayer language was encouraged (and taught). I prayed to receive it if there was something I was missing. I did not receive it. And I dont say that it cannot happen, and I do believe you are telling the truth. But what is the purpose of it? You had already been praying quietly as you stated. Why would the Spirit need to pray to Himself words that even you didnt know he was praying?
    (PS, I dont mind being put on the spot, lol, and I do appreciate your kind spirit.) :saint:

20. mima

mima New Member

A happening to ponder;

I have enjoyed reading all these Post. Now here's a story that the doubters will get a great laugh at and those with an open mind will say well I'll be.
    Once while traveling at 9:30 A.M. I tell my life we need to look for a church, sure enough, just over the next hill there was a church. It was a free Evangelical Church. And since we were early enough to go to Sunday school, we did. Ideas were being exchanged around a table during adult Sunday school, when suddenly the Holy Spirit told me that the lady speaking had a prayer language, that is she spoke in unknown tongues. After the class my wife and I were exchanging pleasantries with everyone, I took this lady by the arm and walked her a little to the side and said, the Holy Spirit is told me that you have a prayer language that you speak in tongues. Old Mr. the lady said, please don't tell anyone in this church that I have a teenage daughter who likes to attend this church with hr friends and that is the reason I'm here. Oh don't worry about of thing I said, I will not say nothing but I was rather surprised to get this information about you. Yes it's true she said, and slowly walked away.
    Well that is the story. Now to the doubters this is craziness on the other hand those with an open mind wonder, I wonder what this was.