1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Private prayer language

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thomas Helwys, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awaken

awaken Active Member

And you have no scriptures to back up your smart remarks!

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

I have shown you this...
    120 believers all began rejoicing and praising God in tongues at the same time. This noise drew a crowd. The people in the crowd recognized their native languages being spoken.

This crowd did not gather until they heard the noise of 120 people all talking at the same time and rejoicing and praising God. Many Christians assume that when the disciples spoke in tongues at Pentecost it was for the purpose of witnessing to this crowd in their native languages, but in reality the disciples were not talking to the crowd at all. The disciples were all together in a house, rejoicing and praising God in different languages.

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

Speaking to God is prayer!!!!

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The topic is "private prayer language."
    What foreign languages do you speak to God in?
    Why can't you answer?
    You are simply playing the hypocrite again by claiming you can do something that you cannot do. You have no evidence but you claim to do something impossible for you to do. It is a lie, isn't it?

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You assume to much.
    Who says they were huddled together in a room.
    The crowd saw them, and heard them.
    There was probably some type of balcony on which they stood where they were able to speak loudly so that all could hear them.
    When they spoke they spoke in different languages, probably turn by turn, so that there wasn't a lot of confusion. God is not a God of confusion but a God of order.
    There is a good possibility that it was only the apostles that spoke in tongues. The on-lookers said: "Are not all these Galileans..."
    Not all 120 were Galileans, but all the apostles were. Thus it would make better sense that just the apostles were speaking in different languages and not all the 120.

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

Again...I have always said they were real languages!

THere were no unbelieving Jews present in Acts 10!
    What sign are you saying it was to an unbeliever?

#47 awaken, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
  8. awaken

awaken Active Member

Speaking to God is prayer...private or public...do you not speak to God in private? I will not reply to any of your post that attacks my personal walk with God! Only to the part that you discuss the Word!

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

Who is assuming now???? It does say this! Lets not add to what the word does not say! "They were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance"
    Do you see where your assumption get you?? Why would it limit it to just the apostles? Others than the apostles spoke in tongue! Why do you continue to add to what the scriptures do not say?

#49 awaken, Apr 18, 2013
  10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what you and charismatics do not get is just because you pull scripture does not mean it automatically backs up you false teachings. You have to use scripture so loosely to make your point. And you have proven that here. Charismatics in general are completely inept in applying scripture.

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

So using Criticism is much better approach to the debates!

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I would hope that all who name the name of Christ speak to God in prayer. But I talk to God in my own language--the same language I speak to you in--English. We both understand each other. It is communication.
    The OP here is "Private prayer language," some mystical thing that the Charismatics claim they have; isn't supported anywhere in the Bible; cannot be proved by the Bible; and isn't a real language.
    Since it is not English, then tell me what it is?
    Since you claim to speak in "tongues" which are languages, then what languages are they? Why do I have to ask so often this question, and why can't you answer it? What languages can you speak in or do you speak in that you could never speak in before? What are they?
    In Acts 2 you will find a list of foreign languages that the Apostles spoke in. What languages do you speak in? Please inform us. That is what this thread is about.

13. awaken

awaken Active Member

No,this thread is about a private prayer language! The Op addresses that it is not sciptural!
    What is speaking to God? Do you admit it is prayer!

#53 awaken, Apr 18, 2013
  14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are the one adding. It doesn't say that they stayed "huddled in a room."
    Those are your words; your interpretation. I don't believe it is a good one.

Acts 1:24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,
    Acts 1:26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.
    --The last verse of chapter one.
    Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
    --The first verse, a continuation of verse 26, seems to indicate that it was the twelve that were gathered here. "They" refers to its immediate antecedent, "eleven apostles" or the apostles.

Acts 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
    --The 120 were not all Galileans. But the 12 were Galileans, giving more credence to the fact that only the apostles spoke in tongues.

Acts 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
    --Peter did not stand up with the 120, rather it specifically says he stood up with the ELEVEN, again giving evidence that it was The Twelve Apostles that spoke in tongues and not the 120,

You can believe what you want, but I believe the evidence points to The Twelve Apostles speaking in tongues and not all 120. God is a God of order.
    I didn't assume anything. I provided you the evidence as quoted above.
    If you like to do some homework for yourself you can check some other historical references and find out what kind of place they could have been occupying during that time. But remember:
    It would have to be near, in or facing the Temple.
    They would have to be able to face 100,000 people and be able to preach to them as Peter did. He didn't stay hidden in a house.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not the way you define it, no I do not. I will not fall into the trap of your word games. In Acts 2 they spoke the wonderful works of God. They were not praying.
    There is no private prayer language taught in the Word of God.

16. awaken

awaken Active Member

You not only add to the Bible but you add to my post! Where did I say it was in a room? Your assumption did not stop at where they were but..."When they spoke they spoke in different languages, probably turn by turn, so that there wasn't a lot of confusion. God is not a God of confusion but a God of order. " No where does it say turn by turn!

They were all . . . in one place. Not only the apostles, but the hundred and twenty disciples."

How do you know what the 120 were?

Why would you even assume this?? Are you saying no one in the NT spoke in tongues except the apostles?

Did I mention a house? Now maybe you would like to get back to the OP..prayer language!!!

17. awaken

awaken Active Member

Is speaking to God prayer?

18. awaken

awaken Active Member

What were the Gentiles doing when they spoke in tongues in Acts 10? Magnifing God!...just like the disciples did on the day of Pentecost.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

First, it says it in 1Cor.14, where you also find the statement that God is not a God of confusion but a God of order. That is a Biblical principle that we can apply here. In the Corinthian church Paul was trying to put a stop to the very thing that you are advocating or suggesting what happened. Why do you suggest confusion on the Day of Pentecost when God is a God of order?
    I just point out the context. You can ignore it if you wish.
    The Twelve were often referred to as Galileans. It is highly unlikely that all 120 were from Galilee.
    A.T. Robertson says:
    Many of the followers of Jesus were no doubt from Jerusalem itself, which is not Galilee. Mary, Martha, Lazarus, for example were from Bethany, not Galileans.
    I simply quoted Scripture. That is what you wanted isn't it? Scripture?
    Now you don't want to believe it?
    Here it is again:

Acts 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
    --Peter did not stand up with the 120, rather it specifically says he stood up with the ELEVEN, again giving evidence that it was The Twelve Apostles that spoke in tongues and not the 120,

Is it plain enough? This happened on the Day of Pentecost. That is what we are speaking about.
    Then tell me which languages you pray in other than English. If you have a private prayer language what is it? Or what are they?
    Or, is it all gibberish?
    How many kinds of gibberish are there any way?

20. awaken

awaken Active Member

# 1 this has nothing to do with prayer language. IT does not say what you implied! It is just that simple!

Your argument does not hold up...because others than the apostles spoke in tongues in the NT. Why would you even want to limit it here! Now lets get back to prayer language!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.