1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Private prayer language

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thomas Helwys, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awaken

awaken Active Member

Paul is correcting the use of praying in the spirit without the interpretation! It is plain in that verse that tongues is speaking to God! Speaking to God is prayer!!

Paul never speaks of tongues disrespectful! It is a manifestation of the Holy Spirit! To do so is also speaking of the one that is being manifested! Praying in the spirit is not to be done in the church without an interpretation! Without the interpretation it does not edify the church! That is plain!

I have always agreed to the fact that tongues without interpretation does not edify the body! But that does not disprove that speaking in tongues is speaking to God/giving thanks/ bless with the spirit/praying in the spirit!

NO, it says he does both! But when gathered together do not speak in tongues without the interpretation!

NO, the context of the passage corrects the use when they are gathered together! It is plain when he said "YOU GIVE THANKS WELL"....He does agree with it because he speaks in tongues more than any of them! Just not in the church without an interpreation!

This is where so many make a mistake in understanding tongues! It is not a learned language!

Did I say that? I said that he is allowing tongues in church...just in an orderly fashion!

"What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church. If anyone speaks in a tongue, two--or at the most three--should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God. Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said." (1 Corinthians 14:26-29)

Paul said that when these people came together for church, everyone had gifts to be used for ministering to one another. Modern churches tend to believe that all Christians receive one or more gifts of the Spirit, yet it seems that few churches encourage their members to actually use all of their gifts to edify and minister to one another. How different from the original form of church services.

It does not say that he understands what he is saying! If he did he would not need to pray for an interpretation as vs. 13 says! As long as tongues was done in order and interpreted, Paul had no problem with it done in church!

Tongues is not to be forbidden! Paul is not forbidding...he is correcting the proper use of tongues in the assembly!

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Let me put it more plainly to you.
    There is a curse in the last chapter of Revelation to those who would dare to add to the word of God, just as you did.

1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

So speak to yourself, and even pray.

But don't do it in tongues. There is not a word about praying in tongues here. You added the phrase "in tongues" to the end of this verse. Adding to the word is anathema. I have seen the J.W.'s do it. In fact they have their own translation where they have added to and taken away from God's Word at their own whim and will. But why you? There is no "in tongues" at the end of this verse. Why do you deliberately destroy God's Word to make it fit your own twisted theology?

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

I have not added to or taken away from the true meaning of the Word of God! therefore you accuse me unjustly!

Well, I will do as the Bible says and not what you want to add to or take away to fit your theology.
    Paul makes it clear in chapter 14 what tongues are...
    vs. 2 speaking to God!
    vs. 13 If you speak in tongues PRAY that you may interpret
    vs. 14 If I pray in tongue...my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful ( I do not understand what I am saying unless God gives me the interpretation..which happens when you pray for it vs. 13)
    vs. 15 Is praying with both..with the spirit and with the understanding.
    vs. 16 Bless with the spirit/giving thanks...is praying!
    vs. 17 You give thanks well!...last time I witness someone giving thanks, it was praying.
    vs. 18 Paul speaks with tongues more than all...but in church he would rather speak where everyone can understand him.
    vs. 26 He is not denying tongues in church...just do it in order!
    vs. 28 If there is no interpreter we are to keep silent and speak to God (speaking to God silently is a silent prayer).
    vs. 39 Forbid not to speak in tongues!

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    4 things for sure, per the bible , about speaking in tongues!

was a a real foreign language, unknown to its speaker
    was to be used in a local assembly of believers
    had to be interpreted in order to be used
    not for today, as we have the completed bible, and no more need to have the lord speak thru tongue/interprtation to us today!

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Nothing about praying in a private language here; only a rebuke not to speak in tongues.
    1Co 14:13 When we speak languages that others don't know, we should pray for the power to explain what we mean.
    Again this is for the entire church, the assembly. There is nothing here about a private prayer language. An interpretation is always necessary. (Another translation [CEV] makes this very plain).
    1Co 14:14 For example, if I use an unknown language in my prayers, my spirit prays but my mind is useless.
    Note: for example. This is an illustration and not doctrine. He is not teaching one that prayer is allowable. He is using prayer as an illustration. And even then, private prayer in another language is useless because the mind is useless. You don't know what is being said. The spirit is not the Holy Spirit but your emotions. There is no capital S, just the emotional part of your being.
    1Co 14:15 Then what should I do? There are times when I should pray with my spirit, and times when I should pray with my mind. Sometimes I should sing with my spirit, and at other times I should sing with my mind.
    --You didn't quote the whole verse, and have taken a portion out of context. Again this is part of an example, an illustration. He is not condoning private prayer. Plus, everything done in another language is public, for the assembly. The "spirit" is the emotional part of man's being.
    vs. 16 Bless with the spirit/giving thanks...is praying!
    1Co 14:16 Suppose some strangers are in your worship service, when you are praising God with your spirit. If they don't understand you, how will they know to say, "Amen"?
    --It specifically says "praising God" and in your own emotional part of your being. Again the context is public prayer, and it is used as an illustration. Paul never condones private prayer, and in fact he does not condone prayer at all. He is simply using it as an illustration. "FOR EXAMPLE." Don't forget those words. Without the mind being used it makes no sense. You must use your mind in all things. Paul condemns this type of praying or speaking.
    1Co 14:17 You may be worshiping God in a wonderful way, but no one else will be helped.
    --It is an obvious condemnation. Again it is in the context of an illustration, as Paul does not condone any private prayer or even public prayer. The prayer is simply an illustration. He is simply saying that in a public worship service you are being very selfish and self-centered using a gift that is given for the whole assembly for your own self-serving purposes. How arrogant and selfish can one be. This is as strong as a rebuke as one can be. No one else is helped!
    1Co 14:18 I thank God that I speak unknown languages more than any of you.
    --Another rebuke. This is obviously not praying. He spoke in the legitimate gift other languages. He thanked God for this legitimate gift that God had given it to him and not to them, for he used it in the way that God had purposed it to be used. They did not. That is what he is saying.
    vs. 26 He is not denying tongues in church...just do it in order!
    The obvious question needs to be asked: Why aren't you silent. You don't have an interpreter. And it isn't speaking of the Holy Spirit.

1Co 14:28 If no one can explain, you must keep silent in church and speak only to yourself and to God.
    --The word speak is used and not pray. There is no prayer here. And there is no tongues here. You deliberately add to the Word of God, adding all the curses mentioned in Revelation to yourself. This is anathema.
    1Co 14:39 My friends, be eager to prophesy and don't stop anyone from speaking languages that others don't know.
    1Co 14:40 But do everything properly and in order.
    --The word is languages--actual foreign languages that were given to those that they previously did not know. Now they knew what they were speaking and why. They knew the language and could fully understand what they were saying. You don't have this gift.
    You lie about it and play the hypocrite.
    You deserve the same condemnation as Charles Taze Russell, don't you?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Problem for Awaken is that she wants to quote and use the scriptures for tongues being legit for paul and others, but we all acknowledge that truth, that God did grant tongues for a reason in Acts, but can she use that same scripture to prove it exists for today?

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

I agree
    I disagree! Nowhere does the scriptures limit any of the gifts for just the assembly. Are you saying even back then that they could not lay hands on anyone outside the assembly for healing? Why do you limit them to the assembly? What scripture do you base that on?

THat is only for the assembly. Acts 10 and 19 are not interpreted!
    Nowhere does it say they have ceased! THey will not cease until we see face to face and we know as we are known. Do you know as you are known?

8. awaken

awaken Active Member

Well it is evident that you believe speaking to God can not be done in private! I will disagree!

Spirit vs spirit is for another thread...so I will stick to the OP. I don't care how many times you dance around the scriptures you have to ignore those statements...praying in the spirit/ speaking to God/ giving thanks/bless with the spirit..to believe that it is not prayer!

No, the mind is the emotion... the spirit is where the Holy Spirit dwells! But again that is another thread! Pray with the spirit/sing with the spirit is different than pray with understanding/sing with understanding!
    ARE YOU SERIOUS "Paul never condones private prayer"?????? I will leave that one alone! You went way out there to prove a point! I do not think anyone will agree with that statement. Did you re read this before you posted it?

Well, you can ignore the statement of "you give thanks well" if you want! But I will take Paul at his word! The thanks was done well...just not edifying to the assembly.

You assume what the scriptures do not speak of! He did not say they did not speak in tongues...he said he did it more than them! Quit twisting what he did not say!
    speaking to God is prayer!

You are adding again to the Word! It does not say anywhere in scripture what you just explained! No one that speaks in tongues knows the language or understands what they are saying...otherwise he would not tell them to pray for the interpretation!

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

THis thread is about private prayer langauge...and I have proven that it is.
    IS speaking to God prayer?
    Is giving thanks in tongues prayer?
    Is blessing with the spirit prayer?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    do we need the tongues to confirm the church being birthed , or to the jews that samaritans and gentiles can get saved by same Yeshua?

Do we need the HS to speak to the church thru that Gift, or does he speak thru the "more sure word?' of the scriptures today?

JUST no need for them today, no verses supporting them continuing on, and NO historical accounts until that 1905 "event!"

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

Maybe if you understood just what each manifestation did to edify the church, you would do a reavaluation of your statement!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    please enlighten me, what did tongues do for the church back in Acts that would apply to us today?

13. awaken

awaken Active Member

It is a manifestation of the Holy Spirit! It is a private prayer language! It is speaking to God! IF the Holy Spirit is the one giving the utterance...wouldn't it be a perfect prayer? Would the Spirit pray anything outside the will of God?

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    we know that the tongues in the church were to be used to bless the attenders, so no personal prayer language there!

paul said the Spirit intercedes in groans and utterings on our behalf, but that is NOT personal prayer language , but that the HS in us will allow us to pray to God when we literally are dumb to what and how to pray!

So he indeeds does intercede to the father with that prayer request,but in your native tonue, not a heavenly one!

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the same token if it is the Holy Ghost giving utterance would Paul have to correct it? Could the church be doing it wrong?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    paul, the One who 'thanked God I speak in more tongues than any of you' person...

is there ANY recorded prayer of his made to God in the "heavenly prayer language?"

17. awaken

awaken Active Member

Is speaking to God, prayer?

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since there is no such thing the answer is no.

19. awaken

awaken Active Member

They give thanks well! THe assembly is not edified!

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you do not know what you are saying,....no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.