1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pro 22:7-The Borrower is slave to the lender...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I have found work whenever I was looking for it. It may not have been the kind of work I was wanting, or it may not have paid what I was hoping for, but I have always found work. It's like "luck"- sometimes you just have to go out and make your own "luck".

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. Even if it's moving dirt for $20, it's work - and it will help pay off the bills faster. Even in tough areas, there are ways to make a few dollars. But one has to be willing to work and find it. Some just don't want to and make excuses instead.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It means what it says. No matter how the debt was accrued, the borrower is slave to the lender. For some, it is judgment on their loose and riotous living, for others, it is a lesson in humility and servitude. Though blameless, Joseph was slave to the Ishmaelites.

But, the borrower is slave to the lender. It doesn't say the immoral borrower, the riotous borrower, the foolish borrower nor the covetous borrower only. Neither does it exempt the blameless borrower.

It says simply, universally and inescapably and with no respect of persons: the borrower is slave to the lender.

#23 Aaron, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure I also had work at al times while in SC. However it was not work that would come anywhere near paying off my debts. I had tried for many months to find such an income but failed, or to find a second job but failed. Yeah I had full time work, but under 30K a year.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes there are sidejobs and I had plenty of those an was able to find those. I remember once I got on my hands and knees and was pulling up weeds or what not in the back yard of someones house. I was getting dirty and it was work. However it was not going to pay off any debts, just help with basic expenses.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What defines slavery? Does working at a job make one a slave? Do you know the difference between a servant and a slave? If not get MacArthurs book on the topic. Do you know what a Indentured servant is? My Point. Owing debts does not make one a slave. But owing 30% or more of your income, being late all the time, and such makes one a slave. For example. When I start getting my checks at my new job I will take home $2,000 - $2500 a month. My min payments on all my debts will be a little under $400. I plan to pay off my smallest CC's fast and ASAP dropping it down to $320 a month. That would be well under 30% of my take home pay.

#26 evangelist6589, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And who is my neighbor?

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I personally have never made over 30k a year. As a matter of fact my wife and I, both working, last year barely cracked 44k.

Yet we owned a house (1st mortgage), two cars and a truck (One car has payments, soon will be paid off), and $0 credit card debt. Oh, yes, I worked three and sometimes four different jobs last year in order to make the amount I did. I'm currently working two and if the Lord wills, add a third.

And did I mention that I am also attending college at night working towards a Master's degree? And with a 4.0 grade average at that.

I realize that not everyone can do what I do (I can easily get by on 4-5 hours of sleep a night and I enjoy being busy) - and I truly realize that it is by the grace of God that I can even do what I do. It can be done.

Old preacher told me once, "If it was easy, EVERYBODY would be doing it." Never forgot that and it has helped me through some tough days and nights.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know families living on $30,000 in New York which is significantly more expensive than anywhere in South Carolina. Trust me!! If we had to, my family of 6 could live on $30,000 a year as well but would just have to drastically change our living environment and stuff. I'd get an apartment close to shopping so we could drop a car, obviously sell the sailboat, cut cable TV, use just prepaid cell phones, shop at the thrift store for clothing and serve my family less expensive foods/meat. We'd not buy soda or chips (treats even now) and instead I'd serve the foods that are on sale and/or in season. We would not be able to pay for college so my daughters would have to take care of that themselves.

But an individual can absolutely live on $30,000 in New York with relative ease. I don't see why living in SC you needed more than that for regular living expenses - unless you were living very expensively.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes perhaps I was not fully living as low as I could. However when cars break down the money does not come from a tree and I needed the money to pay for costs. However I have started over in CO and I know have a job. I think I can pay off debts easily if I keep my costs low. We are making a very cheap wedding and honeymoon. Spend less than $1000.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My advice. Pay off debts first. Then marry.