1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pro-life policies likely Obama targets

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Palatka51, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

There is scripture in support of slavery. Can you show me where it was done away with, scripturally?

ETA that I'm only playing devil's advocate here.

#21 Spinach, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
  2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Whether it should or not, the culture we are raised in does indeed play a major role in our views and mores. And people adapt their interpretation of scripture to match. For example, many Christians...even Baptists...viewed Biblical references to slavery as God's endorsement of that institution in 19th Century America. Had you or I been born in Saudi Arabia, it is likely we would now be Muslims. That is just how it is...we are partially products of our environment. It is impossible to say who you would be if born into a totally different time and culture.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever era we are born in we are shaped by both the culture of that era and in the way they interpreted scripture. In 1820 if I had been born in Mississippi or any other slave state there is a good possibility that I would have believed that scripture supported slavery. If I had been born in Boston or New England there is a good possibility that I would have believed that scripture did not support slavery.

In 1820 I had ancestors living in Virginia, what territory that became Wisconsin. and in the area that is now West Virginia. Interestingly at that time one of my great-great grandfathers was trapper in the Montana territory for one of the fur companies. Montana must have been a wild place at that time.

Certainly that is one factor to take into consideration as well as other factors in what the person says they will try to do, and what their past record says about them.

#23 Crabtownboy, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.