1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Problem with my laptop

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by mandym, Jul 18, 2012.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

I have an HP laptop that is just over a year old and today my cd drive decided it did not want to stay shut anymore. After I close it with no cd in it it will just open back up for no reason. Anyone have any ideas why?

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it clicks and stays closed for a moment then opens then you have something calling it to open (software problem). If it won't stay shut because something doesn't click and hold it closed then hardware.

If hardware blow with air at the two sides where the locking mechanism is. Canned air would be good. Just blow around the opening and into the opening. If that doesn't help there is either something blocking the latch or it is broken. Snooping with a flashlight on the front of the tray and the opening might show something. You can replace the drive if need be if you feel comfy with taking things apart.

If software you can try a reboot if you haven't. If no help, open task manager (Control, Alt., delete) and look in the processes for anything relating to burning software etc that might be calling for an opening of the tray.

Hope that helps or that someone else with better ideas come along.

3. mandym

mandym New Member

thanks fixed!:thumbs:

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    sorry, didn't see this one; what did you do to fix it?

5. mandym

mandym New Member

I ran ccleaner, spybot, and AVG and then rebooted my computer. I believe it was a software issue.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CCleaner and MalwareBytes are my personal favorites; glad you were able to clear it up.