1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Problems with Orthodoxy and Catholicism

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    for instance let me give you an example.
    or how about a picture taken from
    His perspective on what he sees or how about
    This is about the extent of his "scholarly referrences".

Sorry, He's short on the scholarly end.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you consider Augustine of Hippo a heretic?

3. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To be consistent he has to.

4. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Yes!!! Heretic supremo!

5. chadman

chadman New Member

Since we are playing this game now - Polycarp?

6. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

You can't be serious?????? Obviously you have not read the book but have simply picked a few choiced samples (probably gleaned from other sources) in order to smear the whole book. This is the Roman Catholic method of smearing and discrediting all who oppose her.

At least be fair with Hislop! He is quoting sources that were not written to prove his point but provide the information to prove his point. Hence, intellectual honesty will not allow him to state categorically that such sources say this about Babylon in regard to Roman Catholicism. Those who simply have no other end but to discredit his book and his sources pick at the very statements that intellectual honesty demand must be stated in that way.

You have never demonstrated any sincere interest in discrediting the errors of Rome but consistently sought to defend her and her most grevious errors - not from misrepresentation as you claim, but to defend them Biblically to the best of your ability just as the jesuit scholars do!

7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I told you I've got the book. I just showed an example of the type of referrences he places throughout the book. Most of it is his perceptions of what he sees. I can go page by page if you like. And By the way if you read this thread you would know I'm discrediting Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy by my hypothesis. At least with my Hypothesis I don't have to create a fantastical theory based on loose connections but by an issue as I believe to be problematic which Orthodox and Catholics cannot refuse but to acknowledge. Try reading sometime. It does the body good.
    So your assertions lets see
    Blah blah blah..... is unfounded. Interesting. Now you've done what I'm certain Jack Chick does all the time. You're asserting I'm a Jesuit spy! Ha ha ha ha...... Your funny.
    Just note I'm being honest. I don't have to "discredit Hislop" He does that just fine on his own. Just because you want to believe every word he says doesn't mean I have to. I prefer facts. The good stuff not the made up ones.

8. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Tis no game! Any fair reader of the Ante-nicene writers will admit that the earlier writers demonstrate less error but the error intensifies as you progressively read.

Clement, Ignatius and Polycarp are nearer to apostolic teaching than the greater bulk of the ante-Nicene literature. The major error seems to be the emphasis placed on the office of presbyter or preacher authority by Clement and Ignatius. You ask about Polycarp? Polycarps epistle to the Philippians is very short and contains basic Biblical exhortations to godliness. Polycarp mentions only two kinds of leaders in the early churches ("presybters" and "deacons"). However, not all scholars view this epistle as authentic:

"The whole story of Ignatius is more legendary than real, and his writings are subject to grave suspicion of fraudulent interpolation." (History of the Christian Church, Philip Shaff, Vol 2, ch 4)

"It is now the universal opinion of critics, that the first eight of these professedly Ignatian letters are spurious. They bear in themselves indubitable proofs of being the production of a later age than that in which Ignatius lived. Neither Eusebius nor Jerome makes the least reference to them; and they are now by common consent set aside as forgeries, which were at various dates, and to serve special purposes, put forth under the name of the celebrated Bishop of Antioch." (Philip Schaff, Ante-Nicene Fathers, Introductory Note To The Epistle Of Ignatius To The Ephesians)

9. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Anyone who has read Hislop objectively knows your accusations are baseless. The great bulk of His work stands solid. As I said, the quotations he uses were not designed by their authors to prove his point and so that necessitates making it clear that he is drawing conclusions not intended by the authors. That is intellectual honesty. You do not have to agree with his conclusions but you better be prepared to prove the vast number of quotations do not provide a ligitimate basis to draw such conclusions.

10. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

11. chadman

chadman New Member

You just talked about Polycarp and say 'this epistle'. Are you talking about Polycarps Phillipine Epistle or are you talking about Ignatius'? And if Ignatius which one - all of the spurious one's? There are fifteen altogether I believe.

His story ins't just legend. There are eight known spurious texts. Those are known.

"It is now the universal opinion of critics, that the first eight of these professedly Ignatian letters are spurious. They bear in themselves indubitable proofs of being the production of a later age than that in which Ignatius lived. Neither Eusebius nor Jerome makes the least reference to them; and they are now by common consent set aside as forgeries, which were at various dates, and to serve special purposes, put forth under the name of the celebrated Bishop of Antioch." (Philip Schaff, Ante-Nicene Fathers, Introductory Note To The Epistle Of Ignatius To The Ephesians)[/QUOTE]

That is a quote of a quote from the Ante-NF. That is in reference to the known eight spurious ones.

But in refrernce to Polycarp - you can't diss him as a heretic as he was put in place by John the Apostle himself. He has more credibility than you or I ever will. He didn't just know the Bible, but was taught the Bible by an Apostle. He is no heritic.

You can call Ignatius a heretic if you want - but use some Hislop style propaganda to do it please.

Polycarp said of Ignatius - "The Epistles of Ignatius written by him to us, and all the rest which we have by us, we have send to you as you requested......for they treat of faith and patience, and all things that tend to edification in our Lord."

So if you don't like Ignatius, just say all his works are altered by some evil RCC or Budist conspiracy - but Polycarp had good words to say about him. I guess all of his texts have been corrupted if you don't like any of them.

One thing I believe is certain. Polycarp had John's teaching. Polycarp acknowledged and support Ignatius' teachings even though I believe he was already martyred by this time.

A Baptist preacher at seminary turned me onto Polycarp. Awesome stuff.

12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let me interpret your above statement. "Your right TS but its not fair because I think his stuff is the bees knees. And Since I think he's cool you're not being intellectually honest".

13. chadman

chadman New Member

I hate this to turn into a Hislop book bashing thread but I have to say once more. Our 'Evangelical' brother had not only read his book objectively, but took the time to write an entire new book on the same topic using Hislop as the main reference right?

I dont' believe that the devil got ahold of him and made him recant, LOL. Seriously. Some guy challenged him to PROVE it. He dug more into it, and refuted ultimately. Similar to how Josh McDowel came to be a Christian aplologist - originally setting out to prove the Bible was false.

He is still an Evangelical Christian - he didn't like convert to Rome. He still see errors there sure.

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let me interpret the above quote. "Blah Blah Blah Blah. You're a Jesuit spy. Blah Blah Blah Blah. Stop Picking on Hislop because he made his own conclusions. Blah Blah Blah Blah. You sound just like the Roman Catholics - whine"

Notice you can't even comment on the fact that this thread is set to dismantle Roman Catholic and Orthodox theology and show the degredation historically of their respective churches.

15. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

What Schaff said was that there are 15 recognized epistles accredited to Ignatius, 8 are considered spurious and the remaining 7, although regarded as authentic are suspect to interpolations. Bottom line - they are unreliable.

Ignatius the person may not be a heretic but you cannot prove the letter to the Philippians is a reliable representation of Ignatius. You cannot prove it has not been tampered with! The fact that the majority of epistles attributed to Ignatius are spurious and the remaining ones may have been tampered with.

One thing is for sure, IF you are an evangelical, this supposed letter by Ignatius is not authoritative for faith and practice. Interesting? Yes! Actual letter from Ignatius? Maybe! You have to remember that the same denomination that preserved these writings uses them as part of their basis for authority for determining truth along with the scriptures.

As I stated in an earlier post, any objective reader can see that the earliest writings contain less error than the later writings. However, there are nine volumes of the Ant-Nicene Fathers and the apostolic Fathers take up only volume one and even as you read volume one you can see the progression into more and more error by the time you finish volume one. The primary error in volume one that begins in seed form right from the writings of Clement is the error of episcopal authority.

16. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

You will not be able to fairly dismantle anyone's theology unless you start using fair and equitable methods! You are not using fair or equitable methods in your evaluation of Hislop. You take statements of honest integrity and use them as admissions of error. You take minor points of misinterpretation of scriptures and use them to invalidate the whole work. That is simply dishonest and those methods are the proven tactics of Roman Catholics in regard to their foes. Have some objectivity to your criticisms.

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Did you ever think Dr. Walter that Hislop is a product of his time? There was facination with Egyptology back then because of the recent finds. There was a renewed interest in the babylonian and other mystery religions (Isis being favored among the British) Hyslop being Scottish was probably familiar with what the FreeMasons were doing connecting ancient mystery religions with the Knights Templar and eventually making secret symbols everywhere. There was a renewed vigor to finding Atlantis or Mu. Spiritism was on the rise and conspiracies in the British empire was a fabulous speculative sport. It didn't take much for him to make the associations with the Catholic Church.

18. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

I read the major criticisms he made. They are nit-picking rediculous when you consider the bulk of evidence Hislop supplied. If that is the best he can do then he wasted his time. I agree with the critique of this "evangelical brother" that something other than pure objectivity came to bear for his change of heart. If you have read Hislop, these nit picky examples are pathetic reasons to claim that the major thesis of Hislops work is flawed.

I have read Hislop and I have read Woodrow's reasons for invalidating Hislop!! It is rediculously shallow reasons.

19. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I absolutely do. In fact Hyslop is an interesting read but no more factual than Zeitgeist. To dismantel a system of belief you begin at the actual base. Not a ficticious one. Here in lies the problem with both these Early Churches their theology rest on the language of Greek Philosophy which has lead to a misrepresentation of the original gospel. To further the faith they relied on science of Philosophy rather than original intent. Thus you see an early problem with the Church from its outset due to Hellenization. Hellenization is responsible for the quick spread of Christianity but it is also responsible for the many branches or sects of Gnosticism. Its kind of like using modern scientific terms to explain the bible and think people understand scriputeres the way Jesus did or even envisioned it.

I have been objective with Hyslop but knowing history as I do I can't swallow it.

20. chadman

chadman New Member

In fact...my daughter gave me a CD a couple of year ago that blew my mind. Hisplop stetched logic beyond reason to find parallels of ancient religious pagan practices with RCC rites, etc.

The sad truth is that almost anything in Christianity has been done in some form in an ancient pagan religion. Virgin birth, mother and son, priests, teachers, baptism, etc.

So this CD used the Hislop type logic and material to PROVE how Christianity in all it's forms is all based on pagan worship. It was sad but using the same methodology, was impressive.

Hislop arguments can be used agianst the entire Church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.