1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prodigal Son

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ryarn, Apr 16, 2013.

1. ryarn

ryarn Member
    Site Supporter

Lu 15:11 ¶ And he said, A certain man had two sons:
    Lu 15:12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.
    Lu 15:13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.
    Lu 15:14 And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.
    Lu 15:15 And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.
    Lu 15:16 And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.
    Lu 15:17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
    Lu 15:18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
    Lu 15:19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.
    Lu 15:20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.
    Lu 15:21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
    Lu 15:22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
    Lu 15:23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
    Lu 15:24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
    Lu 15:25 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing.
    Lu 15:26 And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.
    Lu 15:27 And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.
    Lu 15:28 And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him.
    Lu 15:29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:
    Lu 15:30 But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.
    Lu 15:31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.
    Lu 15:32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

I've heard lots of people give thier interpetation of this parable, some say salvation,some say backslidden condition and others Israel returning back to GOD.
    What do you think ?

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I say backslidden. He never ceased being the son of his father.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Israel returning back to God?

Anyway Aaron is right.

6. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I think the three parables are one and the same, the lost sinner being saved. A sheep although out of the fold till he is found was never a goat.

7. ryarn

ryarn Member
    Site Supporter

Yes that verse says a lot.

Oh how he loves us.:love2:

#7 ryarn, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  8. ryarn

ryarn Member
    Site Supporter

I have that CD.

9. ryarn

ryarn Member
    Site Supporter

The Trinity is revealed in these parables seeking that which is lost. The Son is seen in the Shepherd; the Holy Spirit in the parable of the lost coin and the Father in the parable of the prodigal.

10. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I say it demonstrates the tension between grace and truth.

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've always read it to mean that the prodigal (literally) who left home was representative of the Jewish people - God's chosen nation and calling Him Father, but lost and going to hell and needing to repent.

And the prodigal (to me, in his heart) who stayed at home was representative of the religious elite who just knew that because of their good deeds and "loyalty" to the law OF the Father that they were more deserving of His grace than others.

And they were wrong just as the brother who stayed home was wrong and didn't get it.

12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The prodigal son/daughter is every one of us, no exceptions. To me both sons are actually prodigal for different reasons.

Notice in Rembrandt's famous painting the son who stayed home, but at first refused to greet or acknowledge his brother, is seen in the background indicating that he is creeping forward and will repent and will accept the brother.

[​IMG]

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zactly. Ezek 34 applies in a large way here, and still does today, the flock doesn't get fed, they get fleeced, many of God's sheep want nothing to do with what is perceived to be 'the Church'.

Tension between grace and truth? Did you mean to say grace and law?

[add] What's NOT mentioned in the parable is the likely tension that existed beforehand between the elder and younger sons.

The Jews were cast out, and the kingdom was given to another.

#13 kyredneck, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
  14. ryarn

ryarn Member
    Site Supporter

I think it is all of what you are saying. Definitly the tension between law and grace(The Pharisees ,self righteousness),salvation and all the rest.

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three questions for you (if you wish to go this route, if not that's OK :) ) :

1. What is a parable?

2. Why did Christ speak in parables?

3 To whom were the parables addressed?

#15 kyredneck, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
  16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What portion have we in David? neither inheritance in the son of Jesse: to your tents, O Israel: now see to thine own house, David. So Israel departed unto their tents. But [as for] the children of Israel which dwelt in the cities of Judah, Rehoboam reigned over them.

Judah, Rehoboam is the elder son. The house of Judah.

Joseph, Ephraim, Jeroboam is the younger son. The house of Israel.

Judah kept the law of God as given them by Moses.
    Israel departed from the law of God as given by Moses because Jeroboam feared if the people went to Jerusalem to keep the law they would return to the House of David.

And Jeroboam said in his heart, Now shall the kingdom return to the house of David: If this people go up to do sacrifice in the house of the LORD at Jerusalem, then shall the heart of this people turn again unto their lord, [even] unto Rehoboam king of Judah, and they shall kill me, and go again to Rehoboam king of Judah.

So Jeroboam made two calves of gold set one up in Bethel and the other in Dan for worship and he changed the priesthood and the feast days from those of Moses. There is evidence he changed the yearly feast days and also the feast day of the weekly Sabbath 1 Kings 12:32 Hosea 2:11

God gave a bill of divorce to the house of Israel and put her away for her adultery, removing her from the commonwealth of Israel, the covenants of promise, she was without hope in the world. She, being the younger son.

The house of Judah, those of the circumcision made with hands, had a name for her, "Uncircumcision," literally "Foreskins," that which was cast away.

Because of grace the younger son could repent and return to the Father in the kingdom of God the Father. The older son did not like Jesus telling them that this was going to take place. They crucified him because they did not want to hear this. It is the meaning of the parables. Jesus was the faith by which they could be by grace, be given the promise of the Holy Spirit bringing them (the fold) back into the flock (the kingdom). They were among the Gentiles.

Others also because of this grace through the faith could be added to the flock as demostrated by the story of the rich man and Lazarus. Lazarus was Eliezer the servant of Abraham a Gentile of Damascus who died in the same faith Abraham his master died in and was in the bosom of Abraham his master. That faith would be the promised seed of Abraham, the Christ who would give his life for sin and would be raised from the dead by the grace of God his Father. The rich man is the elder son, Judah.

Send Lazarus to my brothers. They have the law of Moses and will not believe even if one is risen from the dead.

Ye must be born again. Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Paul knew as much about Jesus of Nazareth the morning he left for Damascus as he knew that afternoon. The morning he left he knew they had said he had been risen from the dead, but did not believe it. He did not believe because he had not yet been called. When God called him through Jesus he believed.

17. quantumfaith

Sort of, truth as a synonym for law so to speak. My pastor has been speaking on this tension recently, so I guess I used his language.

http://www.northpoint.org/messages/christian

See message 6 Angry Birds

#17 quantumfaith, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
  18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. Jn 1:17

I don't think there's any 'tension' there.

#18 kyredneck, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
  19. quantumfaith

Watch the message, then I think you will understand....you may still disagree, but you will understand. It is worth the time.

20. beameup

beameup Member

I would say it illustrates the jealousy of Genetic Israel (Jews) who kept/keep the Law
    and the Gentiles who are freely given salvation without the Law. Both are children of Adam.

Have they [Genetic Israel] stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall
    salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
    Romans 11:11