1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Profiles In Baptist History

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by tyndale1946, Mar 28, 2003.

1. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Here is a page that has vignettes of 15 prominent Baptists (and Menno Simons).

Includes: F. B. Meyer, T. T. Shields, Charles Spurgeon, G. B. Vick, J. Frank Norris, and others. Quite an eclectic list.

2. delly

delly New Member

Robert Boyte Crawford Howell was my Great-Great-Great-Great Uncle. No Baptist history would be complete without a commentary on his life.

Robert Boyte Crawford Howell

HOWELL, Robert Boyte Crawford, author, born in Wayne county, North Carolina, 10 March, 1801; died in Nashville, Tennessee, 5 April. 1868. He was graduated at Columbian college, Washington, D. C., in 1826. Soon afterward he was licensed to preach, and labored as a missionary under the Baptist general association of Virginia. On 27 January, 1827, he was ordained pastor of the Cumberland street Baptist church, Norfolk, Virginia, where he continued eight years, and in 1834 he removed to Nashville, Tennessee, where until 1850 he was pastor of the 1st Baptist church. He established and edited for some time a religious newspaper in Nashville, was moderator or president of all the religious organizations of the Baptists in the state, and for ten consecutive years was president of the Southern Baptist convention. In 1850-'7 he was pastor of the 2d Baptist church in Richmond, Virginia, but afterward returned to his former charge at Nashville, and remaining there till his death. At the beginning of the civil war he took a decided stand in favor of the south, and, when the city came into the possession of the National forces, was placed under military surveillance by Andrew Johnson, then governor of the state. Dr. Howell was commanding in his presence, eloquent as a preacher, and graceful and vigorous as a writer, he is the author of "Terms of Sacramental Communion" (Philadelphia, 1841); "Howell on the Deaconship" (1846); "The Way of Salvation" (Charleston, 1849); "The Evils of Infant Baptism" (1851); "The Cross" (1854); "The Covenant" (1856); "The Early Baptists of Virginia" (Philadelphia, 1876); and several smaller books. He left unpublished "A Memorial of the First Baptist Church of Nashville from 1820 to 1863," "The Christology of the Pentateuch," an enlargement of "The Covenants," and "The Family." Some of his works were republished in England.

Edited Appletons Encyclopedia, Copyright © 2001 VirtualologyTM

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the forum.

He're a link to more information on Howell compiled by Tom Nettles, with links to some of his published works:

HOWELL HOME PAGE

4. delly

delly New Member

Sorry, I made a boo boo by posting the whole article on R.B.C. Howell. I will do better in future. lol

5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Ben M. Bogard was mentioned on another thread, I thought I'd add him to the list of profiles.

Bogard, a leading light of the Landmark movement at the turn of the 20th century, was also a widely admired and prolific debater; his most famous debate probably was with Aimee Semple McPherson, founder of the Foursquare Gospel Church, on miraculous divine healing.

TRANSCRIPT OF DEBATE IN PDF FORMAT

He was a founder of the American Baptist Association, which Landmark churches formed as they withdrew from the Southern Baptist Convention and was later president of Missionary Baptist Seminary in Little Rock.

BAPTIST MISSIONARY ASSOCIATION

6. Stephen Mills

Stephen Mills New Member

Jan van Leyden. That was one crazy guy. He was, however, an Anabaptist, but who's counting.

7. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not consider van Leyden within the Baptist family tree, nor even the Anabaptist family, because of his theonomic views.

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though van Leyden was on the fanatical fringes of Anabaptism (the fringe that helped make Anabaptism "anathema" in the minds of many), I don't think we should count him out of the Anabaptist family. Melchior Hoffman and Bernard Rothmann both had a hand in the Münster debacle of Van Leyden and Jan Matthias, and Hoffman's and Rothmann's influence on the more sound Anabaptist theologians Menno Simons and Pilgram Marpeck can be traced.

I would place Jan van Leyden far out on the fringes, with a theology not generally consistent with core Anabaptist theology, but a part of the family nonetheless.

9. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly value your viewpoint, Robert.

If the Anabaptists want them, they can have them.

I regret that their faulty Christology made its way into the General Baptists in England.

10. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure that it's so much that they want them - sort of like the eccentric uncles and crazy cousins we'd rather not mention are part of the family! Hoffman baptized Jan Matthias, who baptized Jan van Leyden (and maybe Rothmann). I believe Hoffman also baptized Obbe and Dirk Philips, but I don't remember that he baptized Simons. Menno was ordained by Obbe Philips. Matthias originally accepted Hoffman's views on non-violence, but later discarded them. Here's an interesting article on: Mennonite/Anabaptist Christology .

To kind of bring the topic back to it's original intent, here's a couple of links on J. B. Cranfill:

Dr. J. B. Cranfill's Chronicle - A Story of Life in Texas
    James Britton Buchanan Boone Cranfill

Though raised a Primitive Baptist, Cranfill cast his lot with the Missionaries, and became a leader among them in Texas. He was a central figure in the "Hayden Controversy", firing many rhetorical shots, and once they even fired literal shots at one another. Cranfill ran as a vice-presidential candidate on the Prohibition ticket in 1892.

11. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the links. I will have to read them in depth.

(Edited to remove off-track comments.)

[ February 07, 2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]

12. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "There was a man, sent from God, his name is John". "The voice of one, crying in the wilderness"; also: "Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand".

John, The Baptist--the first "Baptist" beheaded for his preaching the Gospel.

Selah,

Bro. James

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    P. S. to last post:

John the Baptist was the first of thousands, perhaps millions martyred for preaching Jesus and Him crucified during the Dark Ages. Christians? killing Christians as it were.

Selah,

Bro. James

14. Stephen Mills

Stephen Mills New Member

Yes, perhaps it is unfare to group people like Rothman, Mathias, and van Leyden within the Anabaptist family.

If you're looking for a more "respectable" anabaptist to discuss, there's always Conrad Grebel and Menno Simmons, even if they are less interesting.

15. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Francis Wayland, noted educator and writer, who reformed Brown University and was president of the Triennial Convention.

FRANCIS WAYLAND

[ March 02, 2005, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]

16. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

17. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

HERSCHEL H. HOBBS, "What Baptists Believe"

[ August 01, 2005, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: rsr ]

18. I agree with rlvaughn in his post on Sep 27 regarding Shubal Stearns and the separatist baptist movement. I'd like to add J. Frank Norris for being probably the most influential Baptist in modern times for renewing (if unwittingly at the time) the separatist (independent) Baptist movement.

19. travis james

travis james New Member

has anyone mentioned Roger Williams ?
    he was a strong sepratist and advocate of separation of church and state during the colonial times.(though i dont know if he officially adressed himself as baptist, he certainly acted like one [​IMG] )