1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Profound Spurgeon Quote

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jordan Kurecki, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Lectures to my Students.

"More and more am I jealous lest any views upon prophecy,
    church government, politics, or even systematic theology, should withdraw one of us from
    glorying in the cross of Christ. Salvation is a theme for which I would fain enlist every holy
    tongue. I am greedy after witnesses for the glorious gospel of the blessed God. O that Christ
    crucified were the universal burden of men of God. Your guess at the number of the beast, your
    Napoleonic speculations, your conjectures concerning a personal Antichrist — forgive me, I
    count them but mere bones for dogs, while men are dying, and hell is filling, it seems to me the
    veriest drivel to be muttering about an Armageddon at Sebastopol or Sadowa or Sedan, and
    peeping between the folded leaves of destiny to discover the fate of Germany. Blessed are they
    who read and hear the words of the prophecy of the Revelation, but the like blessing has
    evidently not fallen on those who pretend to expound it; for generation after generation of them
    have been proved to be in error by the mere lapse of time, and the present race will follow to the same inglorious sepulcher. I would sooner pluck one single brand from the burning than explain
    all mysteries. To win a soul from going down into the pit is a more glorious achievement than to
    be crowned in the arena of theological controversy as Doctor Sufficientissimus; to have
    faithfully unveiled the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ will be in the final judgment
    accounted worthier service than to have solved the problems of the religious Sphinx, or to have
    cut the Gordian knot of apocalyptic difficulty. Blessed is that ministry of which CHRIST IS ALL. "

2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bump for this quote.