1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Progressive Insurance Ad On BB

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, May 11, 2013.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

good point. We are to be responsible with our money. Sometimes that means having insurance on different things. It's not a lack of faith any more than asking a friend for help in a time of need is a lack of faith.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The stuff some people come up with...last time I checked, Jesus isn't cutting the check when I rear-end someone.

That isn't being blasphemous, it's speaking the truth. We are commanded by our leaders to have appropriate insurance on our vehicles. So in accordance with Rom 13 you better have it.

Insurance isn't a sign of lack of faith. That kind of statement, misunderstands NT faith.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Bingo, right on. Arbo is my buddy!!! Wait, on second thought, since I have State Farm, and being a Baptist, I believe in seperation of church and state, I am going to change to HSI. (Holy Spirit Insurance). Allstate is even more evil, as it includes all the states. GEICO is evil because it uses a demonic looking creature to advertise. (In all seriousness, GEICO has the best commercials in the history of mankind). Progressive, nah, that sounds too liberal.

I would have gone with SDAI (Seventh Day Adventist Insurance), but they do not cover Saturdays. Also, I would have considered RCCI, but you have to be a member to be covered. Non member car wrecks are sent to purgatory, but you can pray to St. Chrysler and have it considered in heaven.

4. mactx

mactx New Member

It remeinds me of some folks we knew back when our boys were babies. this couple did not save anything. Spent every penny as soon as they got it.
    No retirement no emergency fund nothing. All on the premise that God will provide.
    god did provide, a job that had they lived frugally would have allowed them to retire and not be a burden on their kids or society.

when the aerospace industry went flewy and Beloved got laid off we lost touch with them.
    Our savings lasted us through 6 of his 12 months of unemployment. We did end up on medicaid and food stamps not because he didn't work, but because the work barely paid our rent and power bills.
    I do not want to ever have to depend on the government again it was humiliating.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are a wise person. Today, I know hundreds of elderly people who live paycheck to paycheck on social security. When it first started, the government spent some money on a campaign informing the public, that, social security is a SUPPLEMENT, not a full retirement. Did they listen? NO The years passed and they did not save one penny. You always hear, we did not have the money. Baloney How many cars did you finance? How many vacations did you take you could not afford? How many ridiculous Christmas gifts did you buy? How long did you work?

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This business of no insurance reminds me of this story.

A family is in their home as a flood is happening.
    The Army National Guard comes by in a 21/2 ton truck to evacuate them. They refuse - "The Lord will save us"
    That night, the Coast Guard comes by in a boat - They refuse "The Lord will save us"
    The next day, the Air National Guard comes with a helicopter - they refuse "The Lord will save us".

Well the flood takes the lives of all 5 in the house. When they arrive in Heaven, the youngest, a little boy asks St Peter "Why didn't Jesus save us". St Peter answered, we tried, we sent a truck, a boat and a helicopter!

7. mactx

mactx New Member

SN, my thoughts exactly. My dad was one of those. Now true he had no debt when he had to retire (heart issues from what i understand I did not know him at the time) so living on his SS was doable. He was also a vet (WW2, Korea and Nam). My personal thing is, his vet retirement would have been more but they tax that. I figure you get to 65 as a vet and retire, you get a tax free ride the rest of you life! Especially having been through 3 wars!

Salty, I think of that story often when I see folks refusing to use the resources God gives them wisely.

I strive to be the P31 woman, as well as the Titus 2 woman. Using my recourse wisely so that some day when i see some on in need i can reach out and help them as the Lord moves me..

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Auto insurance is required in many if not most states.

Social Security is form of insurance.

In 2014 (not sure of exact date) ObamaCare will be mandatory for all.

Render unto Caesar...

In reality insurance is a form of "pot luck" - everyone brings something, some consume more, some less of the collective table.

HankD

9. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder is this poster also thinks getting vaccinated is shows a lack of faith.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Andrew ( the site owner) will block inappropriate ads as they pop up if he is notified about them.

11. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Andrew ( the site owner) will block inappropriate ads as they pop up if he is notified about them.

I don't think the ad is "inappropriate", RevM. I do believe however that knowledge of the owner's position toward our Faith should be known and that we otherwise should not support that specific group.

I used to frequent a local business until one day I overheard the owner make a comment about all those Stupid Baptist's not conforming to his faith..., which I discovered he subscribed to Mormonism.

So, I just took my money elsewhere. Not because he is a Mormon but because of his anger toward Baptist. When you get right down to it, if we were that picky about such things there would be no place to shop.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would call that inappropriate.

13. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would call that inappropriate.

Okay..., it's inappropriate! :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what your little smilies are about.

15. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what your little smilies are about.
    ...and I have no idea what you found so "inappropriate"!

But that's okay. I think it's about time I move on.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God Bless......

17. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

There is hardly a place where we shop today that you cannot find some tie to a leftist or liberal cause, including Walmart. They either openly promote an Anti-Christian Agenda or contribute monetarily to the worldly causes. On a level playing field I think we should attempt to avoid these businesses where ever possable.

18. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Sort of like do we eat meat sacrificed to idols or not? Well, there's no demon in my meat when I eat it and there isn't one in my insurance policy either. And, if it offends someone like simple minded whose faith is weak then I simply won't tell him I have insurance and I won't eat meat in front of him if it offends him.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Questions like this/these remind me of an account I read of in a book about early Christian beliefs and practices in Rome.

A Christian woman was very upset because the City of Rome had changed the name of the street her house sat upon from Water St. to Isis St (Isis was a popular goddess) and decided she had to move.

HankD

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and I suppose the house she moved to had a street address of 666 ? :smilewinkgrin: