1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Prominent Republican: Women Need To Be Paid Less So They Can Find Husbands

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, what a crazy logic. So all women should be gold diggers? Every woman alive should be offended by this comment by Schlafly.

Do men have such poor self-images, or egos that they would be upset if their spouse made a higher salary or not marry a women they loved just because she made more money?

#1 Crabtownboy, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phyllis Schlafly is a prominent Republican? Yeah, in the 1960's.

Anyway, the thread title and your comments are dishonest. Schlafly never says women should be paid less, she said that it would be good for women's economic health of their spouses got paid more. There is no element of gold digging implied. Please, please read your own linked articles before commenting on them.

#2 InTheLight, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    St. Paul,

I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully, for some are already turned aside after Satan.

4. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the title is accurate to my reply that her logic is crazy and illogical ... as well as insulting to both men and women. She said they should be paid less if they want to find husbands.

Would you not marry a woman simply because she had a higher salary than you?

Would you be upset if your wife had a higher salary?
    I certainly would not be upset as that salary would help the family.

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Title is inaccurate. Schlafly is not a prominent Republican. She never said women should be paid less. She said " The best way to improve economic prospects for women is to improve job prospects for the men in their lives, even if that means increasing the so-called pay gap." In other words, she wants the man to make more money.

Non sequitur. Article was not about men marrying women with higher salaries, but to answer your question, I would have no problem with it, in fact when I got married my wife had a higher salary than me.

No. My wife has a higher salary than me, but I am more highly compensated. I'm good with it.

6. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

You always know a liberal is being deceptive when they don't simply link to the column itself and instead link only to liberal commentary ABOUT the article:

Anyone who wishes to read what Schlafly ACTUALLY said, can find it here:
    http://www.christianpost.com/news/facts-and-fallacies-about-paycheck-fairness-117959/

And, you will swiftly come to realize that Both the link in the O.P. and the conclusions of the O.P. are deceitful.

Niether CTB nor the link in the O.P accurately portray Schlafly's argument.

7. Inspector Javert

That is a lie.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Makes since to me...if women are making enough to keep them at the workplace instead of out there looking for husbands who make more money then the whole human race is doomed...:rolleyes:

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

She's a nut. Here's exact quotes:

So if men and women earn the same amount of money, half of women won't be able to find a man so they won't marry? That's ridiculous.

Yep, I feel SO much better knowing that my husband makes more than me. Our marriage is dreamy because of it! :BangHead:

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm speechless. (almost ;) )

Poor Phyllis.

11. Inspector Javert

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!

13. Inspector Javert

She is intelligent, and well educted. In her area (politics and activism) she is one of the more effective and intelligent women academically than we have seen in decades. She's quite knowledgeable.
    Presumably, you don't care much for her or her views perhaps, but she is ANYTHING but stupid.

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eagle Forum, bringing the 50's back one column at a time.

She's well educated, no doubt, but has a very, shall we say, unique point of view.

15. Inspector Javert

Trivial Fun Fact:

Phyllis Schlafly graduated at the very top of her class in Political Science.

Several Harvard Law school professors offered to grant her an exception to attend Harvard Law (which did not allow women at the time, she refused).
    Several schools offered her scholarships to attend to include Columbia and Welesly

No one here should be scoffing at her achievements in that regard....
    Whether someone likes all her views or not....
    She was academically gifted and very intelligent.

16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Wait...when did things change?

I thought it was supposed to be that guys made more money and supported their wives and families unless there was a reasonable circumstance that prevented it.

Isn't that the norm, the expectation, and even more so among Baptists, that men go out and work and provide, and women find husbands willing, able, and capable of doing such, and that they do marry and preferably spend more time at home than in the work force? If that's the case, why wouldn't a woman want a man who can make more than her, and why wouldn't a man feel less needed by a woman who didn't need him? Marriage is mutually beneficial for more than just companionship. When it isn't, people simply don't bother with marriage. (and we're seeing lots of evidence of that lately!)

17. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about single women?

There are many single women. Some have never been married. We have many widowed young women because of our misadventures in Iraq and Afghanistan.

What about families that need the salary of both the husband and wife to survive?

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Or what of a woman who will be working in a well paying profession and her husband is still in school? My daughter is going to be an audiologist and will not be marrying for probably another 4 years. She will get out of school with a starting salary of $75,000 and immediate job prospects (the employment rate within 6 months of graduating is 100% in this field). She more than likely will be making more money than her potential spouse will be making at that time. Should she overlook someone because they don't make as much as her? Heck, when my husband and I were engaged, he made less money than me working part time at a grocery store!! But I married the brute anyway. ;)

I think it has nothing to do with the quantity of money of one over the other. I think it DOES have to do with having a heart of a provider and if that means the husband just makes less than his wife, that's not a problem as long as he is willing to work to support his family. Unfortunately Ms. Shalfly seems to think that a man MUST make more than his wife for a marriage to work. That's just not realistic or correct.

19. thisnumbersdisconnected

I'd suggest you check out Mrs. Schafly's credentials before you qo off LOL'ing about her.

Otherwise, as to the OP and the stupidity of its willful misinterpretation of facts and misleading spin of truth, I repeat ...

[personal attack deleted]

#19 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's clear to me what Phylllis is saying.

She is saying that the primary characteristic that a woman looks for in a husband is his money. And, if SHE has money, then she won't need a man - or won't be able to find one because she looking for one who makes more than her.

I wish I could talk to her in person. She's so misguided here in her blanket statements and broadbrushing of women as money-seekers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.