1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Promoting Harry Potter

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rufus_1611, Jul 24, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not sure you will be leaving on your own accord.
    I simply made an observation to someone who seems to think they know it all. Just trying to help out.
    Naw...I don't hate you. I couldn't start a thread with you as the subject even if I wanted to...another BB rule. ;)

2. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

That's the spirit!:applause: ( I figure you speak in jest, but why not take advantage of the moment?)

3. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Who is Harry Potter??!!??!!??

:wavey:

4. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

That is an even better spirit! If only we were all of this truth!

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Language Cop is willing and ready to answer the summons to teach, if needed. :rolleyes:

Ed

#25 EdSutton, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I am neither a Moderator nor Administrator. Just a member and poster who has been around for a bit longer than I believe you have.

And I deny being "flippant", BTW, in this, or any such post.

I only offer friendly advice, as I neither know nor influence any Moderator and certainly no Administrator, in any way, as far as I know.

Ed

#26 EdSutton, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

9. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Fellas... Back to the thread if we may? I do appreciate the publicity webdog, but all this popularity is not necessary.

For the record, on the above quote of me as the link, I take my Bible seriously, and try to take diligence in referencing it correctly.

Ed: as a joke, you realize you put ready in there twice right?

Now i digress... see what you two do?

Let us refocus:
    Harry Potter is a witch. Shame on Rowling and more on that preacher who supports witchcraft, that others can mention that I am denied access to mentioning...

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Satan is the devil. Shame on God for writing a Bible with stuff about the devil in it. And it's not even fiction! It's the real thing!

11. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

That is rational.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I knew I should not have let Language Cop go to bed early, tonight! I'll have to go back and edit that post, myself, now, but thanks.

Ed

13. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

haha. this english enforcer is about to go himself... take care.

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It's very rational. Did you know that there's even stuff about satan worship in that book? And I mean REAL satan worshippers, not just some made up folks in a fiction book.

There's all kinds of violence in it, too, and adultery. In one part, it talks about a king commiting adultery with his neighbor and sending his neighbor's husband to be killed. In another part, some guy takes a woman into his tent to have relations with her, and then someone else runs a spear through them both! And the writer of the book even APPROVES of this!!

I'm amazed Christians haven't banned this book yet. And yet some pastors have the nerve to recommend it! Worse, some people even let their kids read it!

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are much better , though less well-known reading materials for children . I'd suggest G.A. Henty's ( 1832-1902 ) works for many children .

BroW: You shouldn't set yourself up for a fall . You are no match for Ed Sutton as far as your English abilities ( or lack thereof ) are concerned .

In post #17 you said : " Most do not look at the bottom or the page to see that it has been edited ... it was request ."

Or on your "Jobs" thread : " you typically recieve on" ; "wheter or not" ; "unfrotunately" .

Do you want more samples of your poor English ?

#35 Rippon, Jul 25, 2007
  16. Allan

Allan Active Member

The writter of the Bible NEVER condones those sins being done but shows them in the proper perspective (Gods perspective of witchcraft and magic) and their end results. They are judged for those sins by God and He certainly does not GLORIFY those sinful acts as something good the way they Harry Potter books do.

You also wont find any writter or Christ even using the mythological stories and fairytales of their day to show how they relate to God alagorically or otherwise. You don't find Paul speaking to the Greeks about Apollo, Zesus, or Hera and using those myth/story to illistrate bible truths. Nor anyone anywhere else for that matter. Remember the scripture that states "whatsoever things are TRUE, Lovely,... think on THESE things"

This isn't all petty make believe stuff either since she place real occoltic practices in her books along with her fantasy. Example - Like in "Prisoner of Azkahban". The students take a course on proper divination in which they learn to read tea leaves, palm reading, crystal balls, and mediumship. The teacher herself becomes posessed of an entity when her and Harry are alone and it speaks through her voice and tells Harry some type of trouble or other is heading for him.

THAT is not fantisy but the same tools and craft used in the traditional arts of divination.

#36 Allan, Jul 25, 2007
  17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read the first few books of Harrry.
    I've let my kids read it too.... and I've let them read worse stuff to boot!
    Like the "Left Behind" Series. :laugh:

Reading about Dorothy and the Wicked Witch didn't make me a munchkin.
    Harry Potter is a simple story about 'good verses bad'.
    The characters are well developed; the story is fair (certainly not worth stretching out to 7 books IMO, but the public obviously disagrees).

While I wouldn't expect my pastor to promote the book or have it in the church bookstore, I wouldn't disrespect him for having read it or even using illustrations from it in a sermon.

Do we really need pastors and fellow Christians promoting book burnings?
    That scares me more.
    Some people just don't like RW and will probably turn their back on him when they meet him in eternity.
    They carry a heavy load.

Rob

18. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should read C.S. Lewis or J.R.R. Tolkien, plenty of mythological fairy tales there.
    You should read the Bible; Saul and the witch spirit of Endor (1 Samuel 28).

Think on these things....

Rob

19. Allan

Allan Active Member

CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien are not to be compared with the works of scripture as though they are even similar. Well maybe you do, but I do not.

However, I have read them, and they were a large part of the reason I began studing witchcraft during my early teen years (me and 60+ other so called Christian teens in our group). And doing the same to children the world over.

Saul and witch? What, do you think God blessed that? Do you think that it was placed there so people could read it and say would that really brings me closer to God to know I can look to the Craft for enlightenment or fun.

OR

Saul was judged in that incident. Saul was in Sin for that act. He was supposed to have killed all witches (according to the law of God), but did not. Unless of course you think the story is mythology? I certainly do not.

It is NOT a story of good verses evil. YOU need to read you bible. Witchcraft is a sin and all its forms, it is evil regardless of the new cute charactors that make you laugh. Sin is Sin and evil and godless have not changed. It is about one form of godless wickedness fighting another form of godless wickedness (evil vs evil).

BTW Deacon - I do read my bible, quite diligently actaully. And just so you know scripture states that witchcraft and all its forms and divinations are abhorent in the eyes of the Lord it IS sin. I am pretty sure I remember reading in the Word at one time that Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft also. Apparently God doesn't see it as lightly as you esteem it but such is the apostasy of the Church in our age.

FTR - I have never stated anything about book burning or what-not and do not endorse it. But christians should not be reading this stuff and nor should children and more specifically christian children. Pastors should not be promoting it. Isn't the word of God enough for teaching and preparing us for every good work and able to explain with stories of its own, without the aid of worldly books to (supposedly) better illuminate moral principles, and hypothetical Christlike attitudes. My bible is more that equipped.

#39 Allan, Jul 25, 2007
  20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Just to let you know where I stand on the "Potter" issue---here it is

As a pastor of 20 years I have not and will not in the future promote any sorcery source from the pulpit or from anywhere else for that matter

Take a minute and read over 2Corinthians 11:3

"But I fear lest by ANY means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtlety, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ."(emphasis mine)

From the outside looking in----the Potter series looks "cute"---so we open our minds to it--we absorb it like a sponge absorbs water---we soak it up and we take a oath to ourselves that we'll get the "others in the series"---soon as they come out

We let the serpent have a playground in the vast expanse of our minds---and sooner rather than later---we have him declare more and more of our minds as "Eminate domain" ever more expanding the playground until the entire scope of the vastness of our minds becomes a playground---leaving no room to house truth

Then we go to church and we want the preacher to produce a sermon along the lines of "Expansion equipment" for our new playground---we absorb more and more fiction from the world-----which leads to friction when it collides with the truth of the word from the Word.

The serpent is cloaked and cleaver and is out to capture the minds of those who are unaware of his devises.

Bro. David