1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Property Tax on Homes

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by saturneptune, Oct 15, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

From talking to others around the country, I live in a location (rural West Kentucky) that has a comparatively low tax rate on houses. My house is a three bedroom, ranch style home with 1700 sq ft. and an attached 500 sq ft. garage on a one half acre lot. We bought the home new 32 years ago for 50K. Today it would probably sell for 120-125K, depending on the market at the moment. My tax last year was $986.00, which I am guessing is lower than average.

I would be interested in what my house would sell for in various different parts of the country, and what the property tax would be for one year. We have taken good care of the house, and it is in very good repair.

Thanks for your responses.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We are in a very expensive area of the country and our housing prices are way higher than yours. We have a 2500 square foot home that needs some work but we're on a really nice flat acre of land. We have a private beach 2 blocks away with mooring rights and we have our own police force since we're in an incorporated village. House is worth probably about $870,000, I'd guess. Taxes are $15,000 a year.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    $3000.00 a year

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a pastor friend who has a house similar to you in the Greater Syracuse Area.

His tax for county and town is 2,057
    His school tax is....................2,370
    total tax bill..........................4,427

this is after a 30,000 exemption for the STAR pgm
    and a 1,500 clergy exemption

(note: the info I pulled is public info)

We live in a trailer park - so we do not get a tax bill - we just pay lot rent.

#4 Salty, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
  5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At a guess, from 750k in a suburb on the Northern San Francisco Peninsula to an equivelant home in San Francisco at 1 million plus.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    3,000 sq. ft. house on 1/3 acre. Would probably sell for $350,000. Taxes are $3,900.

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In OR we are on a half lot/50x50, two story, 800 sq ft, 2 bed/1 bath. Paid 75 20 years ago, taxes have always been 1100 to 1300. We do not have sales tax.

Bigger homes in our area are running 130000 area for 2 bath, 3 bedroom types.

Might add this is a lower class multinationality neighborhood, so prices are pretty low.

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

In midtown Kansas City, Missouri, your house would sell for about $75K right now. In western Kansas City, Kansas, somewhere around $55K (that's only about 20 miles difference).

In Overland Park or Lenexa, Kansas, or in Blue Springs or Lee's Summit, Missouri, the house would sell for $150K, and either way, that's less than 15 miles difference.

There are big pricing differences within even a small section of a metropolitan area. The ironic thing? The taxes in those six cities wouldn't be markedly different in totals. The tax bases are different, too.

#8 thisnumbersdisconnected, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
  9. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live in one of the newest cities in the USA. Everything has been built in the last 15 years. All the stores, homes, schools, hospitals, churches, everything. It was a mere village without a traffic light only yesterday. Some homes go for 2 million. Average household income is at least 70k--except for me, the poorest man in the area.

I also have a half acre with a well and septic. My house is brick ranch bungalow built in what was a rural area in 1965. There is a large garage. It needs lots of work. The county has it for $100,000 but you'd be lucky to get 80. Taxes are just under a thousand a year. Indiana capped home taxes at 1%, rentals at 2% and businesses at 3%. Really it is one of the best suburbs in Indiana. A little house in a good neighborhood. If you leave your car unlocked or your garage door up, you might get robbed but other than that crime is very low. I never worry about a break-in. We have a hanging judge over in the county seat and we are 2-1 Republican in the county. Right now the Democrats have no elected officials in the county. The county is very pretty with slightly rolling hills--just one county north of the hills of Southern Indiana.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Indiana must be a very conservative state overall. I do have one question though. After Richard Nixon carried it three times, Reagan carried it twice, the two Bushes three times, Dole once, and Romney this last time, how on earth did Obama carry it in 2008? The only other time I recall a Democrat carrying it was LBJ in 1964.

11. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obama carried it in 2008 thanks to Lake County (Gary) and Marion County (Indianapolis). McCain has never been very popular in Indiana. A lot of Democrat working people stayed home in 2012 because they saw that Obama had cost them jobs. The state GOP had Daniels as Governor, and he put on a sound footing financially but would not deal with social issues. Mike Pence ran a strong campaign for Governor in 2012 when Daniels retired to become president of Purdue University in Lafayette. Indiana is a mixed state on social issues.

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My house is 1330 sq ft, detached double garage, three bedrooms 2 bath, central heat and cooling, new roof, built in 1991.

The tax value is 115,000. The tax rate is about $1,500 between the city and county.

Not sure what it would sell for. Bought it for about $84,000.

13. Max Fenster

Max Fenster New Member

1750 square ft bought in 2010 for $122,500 in a modest suburb of Rochester NY.
    Taxes = $7,400/yr.
    We're the highest in the nation, sometimes trading for number 2 with Buffalo.

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I LOVE Texas. My wife and I live in a two bedroom, 1500 square foot home in the Rio Grande Valley. Because of homestead laws, and the fact that I am over 65, we pay $48 per year in taxes. Yes, per YEAR! Did I mention that I LOVE Texas? :D

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Depending on condition, NE Ohio anywhere from 75 - 300+ if on the lake. Our property taxes on 3 br 1900 sq. Ft. Is 2600 year.