1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prophets and Authority

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by zrs6v4, Mar 7, 2013.

1. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I have had a few opportunities to confront Mormons on what I believe to be their core issue (besides being lost and dead in sin), that is that they have a problem with what they believe to be the authoritative source of truth.

We all know that our authoritative source of truth is God and He has spoken to us through His Word (prophets, His Son, Apostles). Therefore we hinge our lives on what He has revealed to us in His Word.

Mormons claim to have at least 3 sources Bible (Old and New Testaments), the book of Mormon (which is claimed to be the most pure source of truth), and of course prophets. I have found in my efforts to have discussions on foundational truth (God, salvation, history, etc) they rely ultimately on their prophets teaching and do not have the direct relationship with God and His Word. They teach and believe primarily out of the Doctrines and Covenants of Joseph Smith and do not seem to care what the Bible reveals (Or the book of Mormon for that matter). Teachings on God and salvation come right from Joseph Smith's interpretations and in that they are not going to question Him. As we all know, the Bible clearly reveals to us that we must not trust prophets who contradict Biblical truth as it is the lens by which we filter everything. We know false prophets because we know God through His Word. I could refer to a handful of passages on this exact subject.

When a Mormon asks us to pray to God to reveal the real truth (Mormonism) there is no appeal to search the Scriptures to weigh their teaching because they have taken their teaching directly on an emtoionally based blind faith and fell into the hands of a false prophet who has literally brainwashed them leading them to an entirely false god and a different gospel.

I say all of this for two reasons.

1. We Baptists (protestants) appeal to the authority of the Word of God which we believe is complete containing that has been passed down through the prophets and Apostles regarding history and reality.

2. I also bring this up to hear how you deal with this topic of authority. I assume most all of you at least intellectually believe that the Bible is God's means of authoritative truth that reveals to us the reality in which we live. We hinge our eternity on God's word, not blindly in someone else's interpretation of life.

How do you deal with the topic of prophets and authority, Biblically revealing to them that everything we believe to be true must come from scripture rather than a voice from a modern man making new claims not taught in the Bible (pre existent souls, 3 kingdoms of heaven, etc)?