1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pros and Cons of Deputation

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by MikeinGhana, Nov 2, 2005.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We have a lot of good memories about our deputation. It was a lot easier with my wife and just one small child. When the family is that small, other families are not so reluctant to take you in. Otherwise we would bring along gear and camp. We traveled as far north to just 100 miles south of the Northwest Territories, and as far south as Greenville S.C. We went from the coastal waters in Vancouver (or Washington) to Delaware. We have seen most of America, particularly the west and mid-west.

Traveling in itself is an education. One of the things (besides questionaires) that we had to be on guard for, is the discussions one got into with the pastors or deacons of the church. One pastor, who had given us a promise of support withdrew that promise as soon as he found out that I was not KJVO. A couple of others would not allow me to preach in their churches for the same reasons. One has to learn to avoid hot button issues.

Now, many years later, revisiting churches is much more difficult. I can't uproot my children from school. The summers are too short for any extended deputational work, and most churches don't have their missions conferences in the middle of the summer (when the children are out of school). There are other obligations that need to be met on an on-going basis on the field itself.

When we first went on deputation, we literally sold all that we had, went on deputation, and then to the field.
    Things aren't so simple anymore.
    DHK

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Definitely - our furlough is nearly impossible to plan. We are firmly entrenched into our community. We have several reasons that preclude us picking up and going back the States for a year, or even several months. Furlough is a topic for another thread ;) . It deserves one of its own.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you get a questionnaire from a prospect, it can't hurt and may help to fill it out. However, if you see some questions you know will get you in trouble, forget it! Why waste the time and effort.

If you get a questionnaire from a supporting church, I believe you have to fill it out, and honestly. They pay the bills, they have the right. However, as Mexdeaf pointed out on another thread, when you get a 14 page questionnaire, they've probably already decided to drop you. I got a 7-page one once, and knew immediately I was a goner. But hey, I went through the motions! It hurt, because the pastor was (was!) an old friend. :(

4. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

I really do not mind the reasonable questionaires. Most Pastors are just trying to make their missions programs work with the folks who are giving. If that is what they need to convince them that the missionary is stil solid in his doctrine then fine. The 14 pagers are way over kill. How would pastors feel if we missionaries asked them to fill out a questionaire that would take an hour of his time? They would think we are arrogant.

I am an independent Baptist missionary on the field with no aid of a board. When I was first called to the field I tried to decide if I would go through a board or not. One board sent me a long questionaire. In the medical section it asked some unbelievably personal and innapropriate questions concerning m intimate avtivity with my wife, sizes, frequencies, etc. I threw the questionaire in the garbage where it belonged and decided I would never go with a board with so lttle discretion.

5. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

I really do not mind the reasonable questionaires. Most Pastors are just trying to make their missions programs work with the folks who are giving. If that is what they need to convince them that the missionary is stil solid in his doctrine then fine. The 14 pagers are way over kill. How would pastors feel if we missionaries asked them to fill out a questionaire that would take an hour of his time? They would think we are arrogant.

I am an independent Baptist missionary on the field with no aid of a board. When I was first called to the field I tried to decide if I would go through a board or not. One board sent me a long questionaire. In the medical section it asked some unbelievably personal and innapropriate questions concerning m intimate avtivity with my wife, sizes, frequencies, etc. I threw the questionaire in the garbage where it belonged and decided I would never go with a board with so little discretion.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I agree on reasonable questionnaires. They are valid and should be answered.

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

:eek: :eek:

8. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I'm currently on deputation to Spain. I'm a independent baptist.
    I started deputation in 2002. I have had a wonderful time.I have seen God bless in many,many ways.
    Yet, I have only 28% of my needed support. I just had one church that just put my support on hold until I reach 95%. Wow! what encouragement! They really believe in us. I guess I'm becoming a little cynical these days. I'm trying to remain focused but friends I have been in a lot of churches that just havent taken us on.
    I live in Ohio. I just finished a two month swing of meetings down in FL. I was in some good churches. Good meaning not apathetic but growing in missions and other areas.
    I have had "good pastors" look me in the eye and say "We're gonna take you on" . Well, I havent seen any new support in about 10mos.
    Understand now I'm not off in some corner somewhere. I'm just a traditional, independent baptist. Not KJVO but KJV preferred etc...
    To be honest, I'm exhausted. I had some kind breakdown this past Feb. after a long series of meetings.
    All in all the deputation trail has been a blessing. I have matured in the Lord. Grown in my faith etc... God continues to provide our needs yet we can't gain any new support. I'm seriously looking at maybe going in a different direction.
    Honestly, I don't know what to do. I have given the matter to the Lord so for now I will just wait. My doctor says I need alot of rest. Easier said than done when you need to be in meetings or trying to schedule them. Along with homeschooling two kids while another one runs around as a typical 4yr. old. My wife suffered with a thyroid condition our first year of deputation. She was all out of sorts for a whole year.
    I'm simply saying we have been faithful we want to be where we think God has placed us but at this rate I just don't know about being on deputation for another 2yrs. or so.
    Sometimes I get so burdened for my own country due to the fact of some of the churches I've been in. Alot of churches are just apathetic towards the Great Commission. Others are so rapped up in providing a gazillion "programs" for Johnny Christian here in the U.S. that money for missions is going somewherelse like media equipment, buildings etc... Some in the world have never heard of Jesus and in America I'm afraid the American church has become as self consumed as our western culture.
    I firmly believe that persecution for the American church is well on its way. I don't believe American christians will be prepared at all to meet it. There are only a very small minority of men who have a large platform in this country who are speaking the truth. Most are into prosperity or "building self esteem" type preaching.
    Well, I'm rambling right now. Please pray for our family. We are in kind of a rough spot now. Pray that we will follow God's will for our lives.
    I know He will see us through and give us direction.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

ShannonL,

I'm still praying for you, brother. Remember Romans 8:28. You can write me anytime.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Shannon,

I fully understand your dilemma and appreciate your heart's desire to serve the Lord. You express the same emotions we have all been through.

God has never been late my brother. His timing is perfect, do not be weary in well doing for in due season you shall reap if you faint not.

Please PM me with your email addy. I would like to drop you a personal note.

Roger

11. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know exactly how you feel, ShannonL. Deputation is the hardest thing I ever did, as I said earlier. I will pray that God will carry you through.

A missionary with our board finally got the last 30-40% of his support in the last few months, and is hoping to leave to come here to Japan this month. I believe it did take him about 5 years. It will happen to you too, God willing. [​IMG]