1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Protestant Purgatory?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Linda64, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

And wouldn't that be a Purification?

2. Blammo

Blammo New Member

This?

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

No. That would be reaping what you sow.

4. Inquiring Mind

A rose is a rose is a rose, by any other name, it is still a rose.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Let me clarify my position, just in case anyone is thoroughly confused at this point. The Roman doctrine of Purgatory and the doctrine of Millennial Exclusion have a similar appearance on the surface because the doctrine of purgatory is a subtle perversion of the truth, much as the mass is a subtle perversion of the Lord's supper.

The doctrine of purgatory fits right in with the Catholic works salvation (why, didn't you know you have to be good to even get to go to purgatory!) in which the practicioner gets to complete his own salvation by doing things in addition to the work of Christ on the cross. The final work is suffering while having your sin purged from your body and then you can enter into heaven.

The doctrine of Millennial Exclusion teaches that a believer is eternally secure right this very minute, there is nothing that has to be done to be saved. I don't have to go to church and confess my sins and say hail marys and eat fish on friday. The work was finished on the cross and I have been accepted into the household of God on the merit of Chrst alone. And not only that, but I have been offered a reward, an inheritance, if I will live the way God wants me to live. I have a promise that if I suffer in this life for Him, I will reign in the world to come with Him. And if I choose to despise this reward and instead of suffering for the kingdom, I decide to spend my life pleasing my flesh and living like the devil, then I won't reign with Him but will instead spend a thousand years in hell. But my eternal security is not based on my suffering loss during the millennium. Millions of unsaved people will be suffering during this time, they aren't being purged of their sins any more than I will be. What I will be doing is reaping corruption for having sown to the flesh.

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

So purgatory is working for your salvation because Christ's atonement didn't do the job. Top that off with the idea that you can somehow pray or $pay$ someone out of purgatory and you can see why it was repugnant to the reformers. But they threw out the baby with the bathwater, because there is indeed a judgement to be feared for believers after death.

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Do you have a scripture to show that we are going to be purified from our sins in the flames of hell?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If she's in Christ, she's as white as snow. You espouse a works based catholic salvation which is contrary to Scripture.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We're talking about works leading to reward, not entrance.
    It does matter how we live, hence the Bema Seat.

10. Inquiring Mind

Who said anything about the flames of hell. I am talking about being purged and purfified by God's love.

You still have not answered the question.

If I don't turn myself in to the authorties after murder, you said I would go to hell instead of heaven. Clarifiy your justification for this statement if I have indeed confessed my sin to Jesus Christ and he has forgiven me. Why do I need to turn my self in? And if I don't, I will go to hell instead of heave in lieu of the fact that Jesus has forgiven all my sins. Jesus has made atonement for all sins.

HOW AM I GOING TO HELL FOR NOT TURNING MYSELF IN.

11. Inquiring Mind

Are you perfect as God is perfect?

Answer is either yes or no.

Stop beating around the bush with evasive answers.

12. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Wow I go get a haircut with my son and there are already eight pages :)

13. Inquiring Mind

2 by my settings.

14. Inquiring Mind

Please prove to me that the RCCs teach works based salvation.

15. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

How should I know, I'm not your judge. I said I thought you should, but if you feel you have made peace with God about your murder, do what you want. But the bible says murderers will not inherit the kingdom. If you don't inherit the kingdom for your murder, you go to hell. I don't know of any in-between places. You quoted the scripture yourself I believe...

1 John 3:20-21
    20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
    21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

Is it right to commit murder and then secretly repent of it? Would your heart not condemn you? Better yet, just don't commit murder.

16. Inquiring Mind

I asked a hypothetical question. And I can't get a biblical answer. Instead I get a lot of dancing and acrobatics and evasive tactics.

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'm not sure what answer you want me to give you. Where do you suppose the bible addresses this hypothetical of yours? I can only give you what the bible says.

18. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Luke 19:8-9
    8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.
    9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.

Zacchaeus brought forth fruits meet for repentance. What should a murderer do to bring forth fruits meet for repentance?

19. Inquiring Mind

So lets go over the scenario again.

1. Person A kills person B.
    2. Person A feels remorse over killing person B
    3. Person A asks Jesus to forgive him of the sin.
    4. Jesus does so.
    5. Person A has two options:

6A. Turn himself in and let God's appointed people mete out the punishment and then go to heaven after death.
    6B. Keep quiet since it is only between him and Jesus coupled with the fact that Jesus has wiped the slate clean and he is white as snow now and let Jesus mete out the punishment after death and then go to heaven.

Questions are?

Does sin require a punishment regardless of it's severity or has Jesus' redemptive work on the cross negates any need for punishment?

Does the person go to hell for not turning himself over after confessing to God a serious Sin such a murder.

Is not the repentive heart enough for God and everybody so that turning oneself is not neccessary?

And don't give the garbage that a truely repentive person would turn himself in. That's just an evasive answer.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Quit changing questions (and adding your own strawmen) and it won't seem like my answers are evasive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.