1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prove it.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Amy.G, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

Funny how many of these people seem to be trying to assure themselves with this debate. Even Mormons are 100% sure of their salvation, but that assurity does not give you real assurance. Only the obedient will see God, only those who overcome as Christ overcame will live with Him.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The reason why it cannot be proved is because there are way too many verses that say clearly that we are held securely in God's hand eternally. We would have to rip out too many pages of scripture to make eternal non-security (hey! a new term :laugh:) true.

For example:

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. (John 6:37)

And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. (John 6:39)

And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. (John 10:28)

My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. (John 10:29)

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord....For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. (Romans 6:23; 11:29)

So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 1:7-8)

If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself. (2 Timothy 2:13)

Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. (1 Peter 1:5)

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. (1 John 5:13)

My favorite:

Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

These are just a few, but they clearly say that we can have confidence in the promises of God. We can rest in the knowledge that we are safe in God's arms.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow. I can't imagine living a life wondering if I'm good enough to stay a child of God.

I was adopted. My parents chose me. NOTHING I could ever do would make me no longer their child. I could certainly disappoint them. I could certainly be who I am genetically and predisposed from my parentage, but it doesn't make me any less their child.

God does not allow us to walk in and out of being His child. We are His forever. Forever written on His hand. HE is faithful to complete the good work in us. The works are not of our efforts but from our new hearts. It is GOD who works in us - not us.

4. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

I was in the same boat as they were some years ago. I was raised fundamental Baptist, KJVO, OSAS, the whole bit and as I got older and began to think a little for myself, I found it increasing harder to assure myself of this OSAS theology, when Holy Scripture was screaming the obvious at me.

In XC
    -

5. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

Sometimes I think we are simply arguing true points but from differing points of view. It is true that those continuing in the faith can have assurance but those who draw back may or may not be safe. Just like Jezebel, God gave her space to repent and she did not take heed. If we fall, God will give us time to reform. We must keep ourselves unspotted to be sanctified. As Christ said the just man keeps getting back up, all of us will stumble, but only those who continue in the faith will receive grace at the judgment.

2 Peter 2:1-3 (King James Version)

1But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

2And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

3And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

Revelation 22:14 (King James Version)

14Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

#65 Martin Luther, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  6. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

I was raised the same way. I get excited to see others who can SEE.

7. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Ah,
    But you can not prove OSAS either. Those who beleive like I do can explain away all the verses you have posted without much difficulty, just as you can explain awat anything I would post to "prove" my position.

There are multiple positions on both sides of the arument. As you can see from the post we have seen so far, there are those who say on who was saved can not fall away, there are those who say that you can fall away and return, those who say it does not matter if you fall away. The people who argue against OSAS say that you lose it through sin, you lose it by not repenting, and you lose it by rejecting your faith.

If it was "clearly" taught, as everyone claims, there would not be any debate. We would all agree.

I feel that as long as one is not on the extreme end it really doesn't matter. If I am not teaching that works save you and you are not teaching that one can live in complete disobediance to Christ, we are pretty close to the same, just using different understanding and different terms.

I'm gona bail out and watch for a while, I may post if something interesting shows up or if someone post something I've never heard before.

have you noticed that neither side answers the other? It reminds me of when my wife and I disagree, we have two seperate arguments, I say one thing, she another. Neither is relavent to what the other says.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well gospelgeek was right after all. Here come the insults. I bolded the insult.

So if I believe in the eternal security of the believer, I am not thinking for myself?

How do you explain one losing or forfeiting their salvation in light of the scriptures that I posted in favor of OSAS? Can you take each of those scriptures and explain them to me, since I am not thinking for myself?

9. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

I would hope that a grown woman can grasp the difference between obedience an disobedience. Even my children know when they are being disobedient.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It doesn't matter what we say. What does the bible say?

How can anyone dispute "sealed for the day of redemption"?

That is what I am asking. I would love to see an anti-OSAS person explain that verse to me. I have yet to see it!

11. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

YOU personally can have eternal security if you are obedient, he was not criticizing YOUR faith but the doctrine of those who claim one profession of faith will secure them for the rest of their lives.

12. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Here's a few more verses for discussion:

"I am the true vine and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that does bear fruit He prunes so it bears more fruit." John 15:1-2

"Abide in Me and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." John 15:4-5

"If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned." John 15:6

It first should be pointed out that Christ is addressing this statement to His disciples. Second, in verse 2, Christ states that any branch in Him that doesn't bear fruit is "taken away". One cannot be "taken away" from Him if he wasn't "in Him" to begin with. Christ then makes it clear that the disciples (which of course would include all subsequent believers by extension) would have to abide in Him in order to bear fruit. However, if a branch does not continue to abide in Him, he is "cast out as a branch", withers, and is thrown into the fire." So it's pretty clear that a branch can actually be in Christ at some point and then subsequently fail to abide in Him and bear fruit, and thus be cast out from the Vine.

Next is a passage from Paul's epistle to the Romans in which he is at this point specifically addressing Gentile believers:

"You will say then, 'Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.' Well said. Because of unbelief they [unbelieving Jews] were broken off and you [believing Gentiles] stand [present tense] by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but towards you goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off." Romans 11:19-22

Paul warned the believing Gentiles who were currently "stand(ing) by faith" that they would also be "cut off"--like the unbelieving Jews--if they did not continue in God's goodness.

"Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbeliefin departing from the living God; but exhort one another while it is called 'Today', lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin." Hebrews 3:12-13.

First, notice that this passage is addressed to believers. The author (?Paul) not only calls the readers "brethren" in verse 12, but also "holy brethren" in verse 1, further writing that they are "partakers of the heavenly calling.." (3:1). It's these "holy brethren" that the author warns against having an "evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God". It's therefore nonsensical to suggest that if anyone of these "holy brethren" at some point does "depart from the living God" he was never "saved" to begin with.

Second, in that passage the writer also makes the point that to be ultimately considered a "partaker of Christ" and part of "Christ's house" one has to hold his confidence from the beginning steadfast to the end (Hebrews 3:6,14).

Now regarding the parable of the sower, I may have missed it, but I don't recall anyone quoting Luke's version which has this relevant verse:

"But the ones on the rock, are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away." Luke 8:13

So these received the word with joy initially, and believed for a while before falling away. The passage doesn't indicate anything about this being a "false believing"--on the contary, there was initially evidence of life from the implanted seed (v.6). (Of course this can be a discussion starter itself, whether or not an individual believer has any responsibilty for the condition of his "soil"--I think the bulk of Scripture indicates that he does.)

13. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Quick explaination is that the seal can be broken. It is not easily broken, but it can happen. If you want to make a better argument for OSAS, it would be when Jesus prays in John, I think around chapter 16 or 17, when he talks about how he will not lose any that the father has given him. It is the verse that gives me the most doubt as to which side is correct.I know you will probably not agree with me and that's OK.

If you really want me to, I can give you my side for all of the verses you have posted. But how about you do one for me? What about Hebrews 6? Not arguing, but I think I can at least get you to understand why I beleive what i believe.

14. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

Good post brother.

15. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Thanks. I too was raised believing in OSAS, but found it less and less sustainable from the Scriptures the more and more I read.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did the branches ever give fruit? If they ONCE gave fruit then stopped bearing fruit, you might have an argument. But the branches NEVER gave fruit - meaning that they were never alive to begin with.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hi geekman. There, I called you a name! :laugh:

For someone who didn't want to be in the discussion, you sure are in it a lot. :laugh:

First, where does it say the seal can be broken? The "seal" is an expression referring to the seal placed on important documents. Only the one who has authority can break the seal. Only God can break the seal that He has placed on you. You do not have the authority to break it. "No man (that includes you) can snatch them out of My hand".

I'll get back to you on Heb. 6

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It is my humble opinion that there are many errors in interpreting the passages of the vine and the branches when they are filtered through the New Covenant.

At the time Jesus spoke of the branches being cut off, the NC was not in effect. He is speaking to OT Jews who were still under the Law, for grace had not come yet. It was not yet "finished".

The tree He is speaking of is the Jews, not NT believers. All those (Jews), who although were part of the "tree" (OT covenant), that did not believe in Christ, would be cut out of the tree. All those who were to come (Gentiles with faith in Christ) would be grafted into the tree.

All those, both Jew and Gentile who have placed their faith in Christ will receive life from the vine (Jesus) and will produce fruit.

This is NOT talking about people who have received life and then lost it.

The dead branches are those (The Jews) that did not believe in Christ. They cannot receive life without being attached to the vine. Therefore, they are cut off.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Those who do not believe in the doctrine of the eternal security of the believer, commonly referred to as OSAS, seem to indicate a lack of faith. I normally don't like to refer to church fathers, but this time I would like you to take a look down the road of history, beginning at the first martyr--Stephen. Did Stephen have a lack of assurance in his faith? Was he wavering at the end if he still had to work out his salvation as they cast stones at him? Not at all! He looked up into heaven and saw Jesus standing on the right hand of God ready there to welcome him home, and at the same time, as they cast those last few rocks at him, in his dying breath, found it in his heart to forgive them that killed him. There was no doubt in his heart that he was going to heaven. I believe that Stephen lived his life believing eternal security, so that whenever the Jews turned on him, or whenever anythng befell him he was always ready to die. He believed in eternal security. He was ready to die, not just then--but always. All the saints were.

Read Foxes Book of Martyrs. You will see the same testimony over and over again. These men and women were ready to die at any moment at any time. They believed in eternal security. There never was a moment in their lives where they would have to go back and confess some sin, worry about not going to heaven. They lived as if they would die at any moment by some unforeseen enemy of the truth.

Missionaries of past days were of like mind. The authorities of Burma tried to kill Adoniram Judson at every turn. They let him languish in horrible conditions in jail. Judson thought he would die. The Lord sustained him. But he was ready to die--always. Such a belief can only be held if one holds to the eternal security of the believer.

Concerning the church fathers, look at Polycarp. How did he die? He also died by the sword. He was ready. He was not afraid of death. Bring it on, was his attitude. No one can have that kind of attitude without believing in eternal security.
    Those who don't believe in eternal security would be more afraid of death. They would be unsure of any unconfessed sin. They would be unsure if they had worked out their salvation to the full. They woulld be unsure if they had fully obeyed the Lord in order to be accepted by him.

History is replete with martyrs of our faith, that were confident of heaven, confident that if they would die at any time they would go straight to heaven. That is the belief of eternal security. That is the belief that we see from the Apostles till now.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree Amy. That would make it consistent with Romans.