1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Proverbs 22:6

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Brutus, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Some how this was a double post so I eliminated it. (Something about a duck not flying)

2. standingfirminChrist

That foolish accusation of yours doesn't even deserve recognition. Jesus did not raise His disciples.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Then here's the rub: How does a proverb work?

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

But thats not what it says. I will quote it again listen carefully:

Prov 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    Prov 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

Notice both times it says to answer (or not answer) according to his folly. You see those of us who believe the Proverbs to be pithy statements, inspired by God, that are generally true, do not have a problem with this.

It the same with 22:6. Most of the time kids trained right will turn out right but not all them time because it is a general truth. Accept the fact that God used different styles of speech to give us His Word. Not all is didactic, not all texts are promises, and the Proverbs are just that- Proverbs. :BangHead:

5. standingfirminChrist

If you don't understand the truth, don't try to explain it. You are doing a terrible job.

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I understand it fine. The point of the passage is there are times to shut up and there are times to speak out.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Emphasis added by me to show my full agreement.

8. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I'm going to stick with this one, I like it. ;)
    Prov 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am beginning to think the same thing. The thing is sometime the opposite is true.

Prov 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you literally raise your kids? Just an example of the way an idiomatic expression is used in today's English language. I would think that you literally trained them not raised them.

Proverbs 22:6 uses the word "train'. If Jesus did not train his disciples then who did?

Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith. He is God and no less then perfect. He is our example of absolute perfection. Did He fail with one of His disciples or was it the disciple who failed?

The point is that who is more able to get "it right"? Jesus or any person? Jesus naver failed. According to your reasoning if a child is trained right then he will never fail. That is better than Jesus and God did in the world they created.

To suppose I can ever train my children better than God or Jesus did is to make me God.

11. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

It isn't SFIC who is doing the accusing here. I see all the accusations coming from the other side and it's getting old.
    Again, SFIC didn't accuse you of anything. Nobody has the right to accuse..and all I see around this thread are accusations. They are flying all over the place...and those accusations are not coming from SFIC.
    He never claimed to know...and NO he is NOT omniscient. I shared about how I raised my boys....(post #59). When God says that "he will not depart from it" (the way of the Lord) means to me that the remembrance of how you trained your child up will not depart from that child...it didn't from my two children...although they decided to go their own way, they do remember what I taught them in the way of the Lord. Doesn't mean that they will be saved or stay on the straight and narrow path either.

Praise the Lord for praying parents!

#91 Linda64, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  12. standingfirminChrist

You just don't get it, do you?

Judas was a disciple but he was the son of perdition. Jesus knew that before he told him to follow him.

Proverbs does not say 'he may or may not depart', now does it?

To say that is what it means is to destroy a wonderful truth that God inspired to be written in His Word.

God's Word declares that the child trained in the way he should go will not depart. Quit twisting His truth into a lie. That is not becoming of a Christian.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sorry, Linda, but the verse doesn't say "remember" or that "it will not depart from him". It says "he will not depart from it" . There's a big difference.

I do think that if we raise our children according to God's way, the chances are really good that they will stay with the Lord BUT each person does have a sin nature and if they choose to follow that, they will not go in the right way. All I can do is raise my children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord and leave the results to Him.

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Just what I was going to say.

So Linda, either a, you did NOT raise your kids properly or b) it is merely a general statement.
    Because by your own admission your "kids departed from it"
    It is either complete dishonesty or total ignorance to think that it is saying that the teachings will not depart from the kids.
    It says the kids will not depart from the teachings.

If it is a promise then you failed

15. standingfirminChrist

Linda was not the only one to raise her boys. They lived with their dad part of the time. He did not live a godly life, so part of their training was not to walk the way they should go.

Don't point the finger of blame at my wife without your facts straight.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

then in that case you failed, plain and simple.
    If your kids departed from the training you gave them then you did not properly train them then.

17. standingfirminChrist

There you go accusing again without the facts.

I am not their biological dad. I did not come into their lives until the youngest was 37.

18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Like I said, if it is a promise as you say (and I of all people on here am not dogmatic that it is not) then the kids parents, failed.
    She was part of that.
    She shares the failure.
    My contention is that no parent ever succeeds in training there kids to 100% perfection. It is only by God's grace that ANY of our kidds turn out to Love God.

I am sure her first husband was not a forced marriage so any way you put it, it was part her fault.
    Not that I would be down on her for that at all if you two weren't constatly looking down at everyone else on this board.

19. standingfirminChrist

To make it say they may or may not depart twists the truth of God's Word into a lie.

Very unbecoming of one who claims to be of God to twist and deny His Word.

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I apologize for the mixup. As I recall now she did mention her first husband in one of the alcohol threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.