1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Proverbs 31:6-7. Specific Command or general principle?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I am wondering if this particular piece of scripture is a command or merely a principle?

It would seem to me that if all Proverbs were promises or commands to be taken the same as the Pentateuch then we should be handing out beer to the poor.

Hmmm.

Just wondering. ;-)

2. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

....oh never mind

3. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Why say nevermind now? You are so quick to dismiss alcohol and then say Proverbs are commands and promises. Feel free to answer this thread also. Is it a command and a promise that follows? Don't run when your doctrine falls on it's face. When God's word says GIVE it means Give, not say "Oh nevermind".

#3 JerryL, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2008
  4. standingfirminChrist

Not all proverbs are promises.

The ones that declare that something will or will not happen as a result of an action are definite promises.

5. JerryL

JerryL New Member

It says,"Let them drink and forget their poverty. If they drink it says they will forget their poverty. A command followed by a promise of what will result.

6. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Do you give strong drink to a dying person? Do you give wine to the poor and distressed? If not you sin by not following a command, by your standards.

7. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I answered "never mind" in order to see what kind of response I would get and I got precisely the response I knew I would get....a judgmental response.

8. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prov.31

SFIC: Let me see if I've understood exactly what you said.
    "Not all Proverbs are promises.
    The ones that declare that something will or will not happen as a result of an action are definate promises."

Do tell, what about Prov.30:17?

"The eye that mocks a father and scorns a mother, the ravens of the valley will pick it out and young eagles will eat it."

This verse seems to adequately fit your criteria for a promise. It declares that something will happen as a result of an action. Is it or is it not a promise?

Brutus

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh:

The irony is so thick you can cut it with a knife!

10. JerryL

JerryL New Member

So.. you can't answer this? It is a command, Give, followed by a promise, so he can drink and forget his troubles.

Pro 31:6 Give strong drink to him who is perishing, And wine to him whose life is bitter. Pro 31:7 Let him drink and forget his poverty And remember his trouble no more.

Like webdog said about the judgememntal thing, how ironic.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am confident that hospitals give drugs to the dying which are much stronger than the "grape juice" of those who claim that the water Jesus turned into wine was just grape juice.

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

I think you wnat to study this quite a bit more. It isn't refering to two different groups of people but one.

The group is the ones who are condemned under judgment (or the Law) to death, not the condemned and the poor :rolleyes:

The condemned have lost everything (thus their poverty) and that the only sure thing coming is death (thus misery).

So the proverb is stating go ahead and give them strong drink because they have no hope of deliverance.
    It might better be understood - even though they deserve what is coming we need to still be merciful till that time is at hand.

13. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Maybe if you ignore this thread it will go away. Cmon now, when God says give he means GIVE. It should be easy to explain these two verses.

14. JerryL

JerryL New Member

My Bible doesn't state it your way Allen. I think you are interjecting opinion into it. Where does it say that is what it means. I'm pretty sure the answers were meant to be given by the literal commands and promises of Proverbs crowd, of which seem to be ignoring it.

15. PK

PK New Member

Bible Wines and the Laws of Fermentation by William Patton.

Read This Book!

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is posted is an example of whoever perpetuated the idea that God said it, I believe it, that settles it. That kind of primitive simplistic thinking does nothing to explain and teach the Bible to anyone who will listen.

It is quite parallel to the snake handlers.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't need to read it. My parents at one time were grape farmers. I know the difference between rot and fermentation.

18. PK

PK New Member

Then you also know that man adds what is needed for fermentation?

19. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Mashed grapes will produce enough yeast and sugars to make 11-12% alcohol without any help. You are missing the point of this whole thread PK. It isn't really meant to be about alcohol. It has a completly different point. You are coming into this discussion at the later stages, try checking out the other Proverbs thread first.

20. standingfirminChrist

Problem is, many want to mock and reject the promises and truths in the Word of God. If we can explain away sin in our lives, we feel much more better about committing it without fear of condemnation.

If we can change the wills and will nots to mights or won'ts, we place ourselves in a higher position than God Himself.

I choose to believe the wills and will nots. The ones I do not understand does not make them any less a promise any more than the ones others change to cover their guilt make them any less a promise.

God said it, that settles it whether I believe it or not. But I do believe it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.