1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Psalms 51:5

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 18, 2010.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

David was confessing his own sin and sinfulness, not another's. Concentrate on this.

Absolutely (but we don't get angry and yell like you do :) )
    This is where you are wrong and not thinking. David is referring to his sin and his sinfulness. We call that his own depravity--his own sinful condition. I am truly sorry that you have never presented yourself to the Lord and admitted that you are a sinner, deserving only of his wrath. You have never humbled yourself before God as David was doing, admitting his sinfulness from his birth onward--that their was never a time in his life that he was not sinful. David was not a proud man; but very humble. He expresses that humility here, as he pours out his heart to God, admits his sinful heart, even from his birth onward. But you would be too proud ever to do that!

The point is David's sinful condition; his sinfulness; his depravity before God. It is a psalm of repentance, but you don't seem to understand this.
    You just don't get it do you. He is speaking of his own depravity, his own sinfulness, not Adam's original sin.
    His sinfulness reaches right down to his birth. He is a sinner from birth, and that is what he is stating. He admits his depravity, his complete and utter helpless sinful state. There is nothing he can do about it for he was born that way. Adam plunged the human race into a sinful condition, put the world (including man) under a curse. That curse will not be removed until the rapture occurs. Until then man is stuck with an inherited sin nature. Man must deal with the consequences of Adam's sin.
    David doesn't mention his mother as being sinful. You have it wrong.
    What I do see is HP blaming God.

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: I feel as though I am about to be put in a trance of support for original sin. :eek:

Oh, but it gets worse. DHK judges my salvation in that I would never humble myself to ask God to forgive me of my sins, and we all know full well that if we refuse to do so no one will or can be saved. For that violation of the rules I will flag his post. Sorry.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You played this card before HP. It doesn't work.
    David was not repenting in order to get saved was he?
    He was already saved.
    When we sin, as believers, we like David must come to the Lord in humility and repent of our sin. There is the teaching of 1John 1:9 and Psalm 66:18. Have you never come in great humility and sorrow for your sin before the Lord for sins that you have committed since you have been saved or do you live a life perfect in sinless perfection, not having sinned since salvation?

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

Sounds like he clearly left the Lord to me, at least for a time. If he would have continued on the path he was on apart from repentance, no way would he have made it in, according to the Scripture, not my own ideas of course.
    Eze 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

(The red is in honor of my friend Bob Ryan:))

#24 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
  5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is a first. The man that God calls "a man after God's own heart," HP calls not saved or unregenerate. That's a good one.

Note:
    Psalms 51:12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
    --He prays for JOY to be restored; not his salvation to be restored.

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

Ps 19:13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: THEN shall I be upright, and I 'shall be' innocent from the great transgression.

DHK, notice carefully of when it is that one is upright, and what it takes to be found innocent before God and what it takes to be restored. Sin separates, remember, or were you simply being facetious?

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

THE SERVANT He was still the servant of God. He had not lost his salvation. The man that was "a man after God's own heart" never lost his salvation. To think that he did is absurd.

8. JSM17

JSM17 New Member

11Do not cast me away from Your presence
    And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
    12Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
    And sustain me with a willing spirit.

I always find it interesting that David with all his knowledge of God would declare such an idea that he could be cast away and have the Holy Spirit taken from him, why would he say such a thing if it were not possible?

The passages in Psalm 51 certainly speak of repentance, a contrite heart, but it also speaks about being restored to God through repentance.

Yes there is this idea of hyperbole, which can easily be seen in the wording, yet the truth still is revealed through the poetic utterances of a man who turned away from God who is now seeking Him again in a change of mind and obviously a change of actions.

When your read the psalm it gives no indication of original sin, David does not blame anyone for his sins, he blames himself, of course if he was refering to original sin then I guess he would be able to blame his mother or his father or even God for the sins he has committed. Yet none of that is there, unless of course you are trying to put it there, if that is the case then I can come up with many doctrines from just this one psalm.

Like God breaks the bones of those who transgress Him, but I understand this to only be an expression of the disciple that God brings to those who belong to Him that go wayward.

Do a word study on each of the words in verses 1-5, it will help in understanding the word sin in the context, there are two different Hebrew words being used.

The idea that david was brought forth in iniquity has to do with the pain of child birth that his mother dealt with, just as he was dealing with the pain of the his sin. I know some will scoff at this idea, only because they have not looked at the wordsin the Hebrew and looked at other examples of the words in other parts of scripture. I would be more than happy to elaborate on this tomorrow.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The only reason you think this way is because you don't believe in the eternal security of the believer (OSAS). You know very well that I do. In the future do not allow your theology to cloud your judgment. Any time someone questions you about repentance do not assume they are questioning you about salvation. That is not the case. As Baptists we believe in eternal security. You know that. You understand that. I will therefore take your complaint as a false allegation; particularly this one:

10. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Here's where context serves us well. What do the circumstances surrounding David's birth have to do with anything in the context? David is talking about his heartache over his sin with Bathsheba and having her husband Uriah killed. He is taking full responsibility. In the prior verse he confesses, "against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest." So in the next verse he is going to talk about what his parents did? That doesn't make any sense. What does make sense is David saying I am a sinner by nature. David is here exalting God and abasing himself.

Secondly, when in scripture do you ever see David disparaging his parents? When do you see any scripture writers do this?

David affirms the same truth taught by Paul, that man is a fallen sinful creature by nature.

11. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Affirming original sin is not blaming someone else for our sins. I fully believe we all fell in Adam in the garden of eden, but I also believe that God holds me responsible for my personal sins against His commandments and He will chasten me in time when I sin.

Also, having salvation and having the joy of your salvation are two different things. One who is heartbroken over sin still has salvation, but they need to be restored to the joy of it. Peter, when he denied Christ, wept bitterly. Later on we see him rejoicing in hope of the glory of God.

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: It most certainly is. If we are born with such a nature that sin is nothing more that the necessitated consequence of being created human, that indeed is directly blaming Adam’s sin as the direct cause of our sin. Whatever is the cause of sin is direct object of all blame for sin. Have not you heard the comment by so many that the fruit is necessitated by the tree, and it is the tree (in this case sinners from birth) that is the cause of our sin? A tree born a sinner by necessity can only bear the fruits of its necessitated nature, in this case sin. Sorry, but if you hold to original sin you are indeed blaming Adam via your necessitated nature.

HP: Well, I am glad that you are inconsistent in blaming each of us for our personal sins, yet if original sin is true, we indeed do have something to blame our sins on, i.e., a nature that necessitates us to sin.

HP: One can be heartbroken and still be far from repentance. Without repentance no one shall see God. Sin separates one from God, as a sinner that has never been saved, or by one that has been saved and enjoyed the joy of sins forgiven but has returned to ones sins much the same as a dog returns to his own vomit.

HP: Peter obviously repented and turned once again to walking in obedience. Nothing strange about that. What is absolutely contrary to Scripture is that one can maintain a proper hope of eternal life while in one's sins, refusing to repent and turn from them.

13. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Let me ask you a question - how many times a day do you sin that you could have avoided it rather easily? When I think about that question is really convicts my heart. How many times a day do I do things like turn on a television program, or look at something over the internet, or do something else that brings about sinful thoughts in my mind? Oh how easily I could have avoided so many sins in my life. I'm a firm believer in original sin, but I also feel heavily convicted over my personal sins. Paul affirms the doctrine in Romans 5, then in chapter 6 exhorts people to live godly and avoid sin. Then in chapter 7 he says he is a wretched sinner. Paul certainly didn't believe that original sin is blaming Adam. He certainly didn't believe that because we are sinners by nature that sinning is simply the playing out of consequences necessitated by our nature.

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: If one is able to count on an everyday basis sins they are committing, would not it be fair to question their repentance in relationship to those sins? "Unless ye repent ye shall all likewise perish." What does it mean to repent RAdam? Some try to make every occasion of temptation 'sin' when in fact being subjected to temptation is not in and of itself sin. To subject oneself to temptation is yet another thing. Read carefully. Jas 1:13 "¶ Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
    14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
    15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
    16 Do not err, my beloved brethren."

If you believe for a minute that Chapter 7 of Romans is an appropriate picture of the life of Paul as a believer, I for one believe you are deceived as to the purpose of that chapter. Paul, in chapter 7, is speaking of himself in the first person, relating to his experience PRIOR to conversion, not subsequent to salvation. Read chapters 6 & 8 to read about a life lived in the Spirit. Either 7 is precisely a life prior to conversion or Paul was the most contradictory writer found in all of Holy Writ. IF one is living a life in agreement to Chapter 7, they are above all men most miserable and well may be deceived as to their standing before God. No one could have faith that they are pleasing to God living the life depicted in that chapter. It again depicts one under the law with knowledge of what the law requires, yet helpless to act accordingly. Are Christians, living in the power of the Holy Spirit, helpless to obey God? I think not. Chapter 7 depicts a life far from a life of faith in Christ.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Unless you repent of each and every sin you commit each day you cannot have a right relationship with God: every bad thought, every omission of things you ought to have done and didn't do, every lie (form of deceit in any way), etc. Repentance is necessary.

However if you don't believe in OSAS, then if you have not repented of any of these sins, perhaps just one that you have forgotten about, then you are doomed forever to hell. Correct?

I am thankful that my salvation is secure in the hand of Jesus; my sins: past, present and future are under the blood, forever forgiven by the Lord Jesus Christ, and that I don't have that threat hanging over me.

The sin nature inherited from Adam points in the direction of sin. We are sheep gone astray the Bible says. We are like thieves; but the nature of the criminal is not to search out the policeman. Our nature is that of the criminal. It is not neutral. It is not one that naturally seeks after God.

Romans 3:10-12 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
    12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

What a terrible nature is described here. The last part of verse 11 makes it clear: "There is none that seeks after God. No criminal seeks out the police.
    The natural man does not do good. He cannot. He is not righteous. There is no such thing as an innocent person, not even at birth. He is born a sinner. As an Ethiopian is born black; as a leopard is born with spots; so a man is born with a sin nature and cannot do good.

16. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: DHK, is responding to God good?

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When David speaks of his mother, he certainly doesn't disparage her:

Psalm 86:16 "Turn to me and be gracious to me;
    give your strength to your servant,
    and save the son of your maidservant."

Psalm 116:16 "O LORD, truly I [am] thy servant; I [am] thy servant, [and] the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds."

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am not a Calvinist. The true Calvinist says that he is not able to respond to God; he is dead (i.e. lifeless [wrong definition] ); and that before he can be saved he has to be first regenerated so that God can give him the faith to be saved. I don't believe that.

I believe that God has sent the Holy Spirit to convict the world of sin, of judgment, of things to come. "Of sin because they believe not on me." When the gospel message is presented, and the Holy Spirit convicts of sin, the sinner certainly is able to respond to God's message of salvation.

Yet at the same time salvation is all of God.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

HP - Why are you taking your theology from one website and one author? What about the rich wealth of theology experts that are out there who disagree?

Matthew Henry:

(2.) He confesses his original corruption (v. 5): Behold, I was shapen in iniquity. He does not call upon God to behold it, but upon himself. "Come, my soul, look unto the rock out of which I was hewn, and thou wilt find I was shapen in iniquity. Had I duly considered this before, I find I should not have made so bold with the temptation, nor have ventured among the sparks with such tinder in my heart; and so the sin might have been prevented. Let me consider it now, not to excuse or extenuate the sin—Lord, I did so; but indeed I could not help it, my inclination led me to it’’ (for as that plea is false, with due care and watchfulness, and improvement of the grace of God, he might have helped it, so it is what a true penitent never offers to put in), "but let me consider it rather as an aggravation of the sin: Lord, I have not only been guilty of adultery and murder, but I have an adulterous murderous nature; therefore I abhor myself.’’ David elsewhere speaks of the admirable structure of his body (Ps. 139:14, 15); it was curiously wrought; and yet here he says it was shapen in iniquity, sin was twisted in with it; not as it came out of God’s hands, but as it comes through our parents’ loins. He elsewhere speaks of the piety of his mother, that she was God’s handmaid, and he pleads his relation to her (Ps. 116:16, 86:16), and yet here he says she conceived him in sin; for though she was, by grace, a child of God, she was, by nature, a daughter of Eve, and not excepted from the common character. Note, It is to be sadly lamented by every one of us that we brought into the world with us a corrupt nature, wretchedly degenerated from its primitive purity and rectitude; we have from our birth the snares of sin in our bodies, the seeds of sin in our souls, and a stain of sin upon both. This is what we call original sin, because it is as ancient as our original, and because it is the original of all our actual transgressions. This is that foolishness which is bound in the heart of a child, that proneness of evil and backwardness to good which is the burden of the regenerate and the ruin of the unregenerate; it is a bent to backslide from God.

Jamieson, Faucett and Brown:

5, 6. His guilt was aggravated by his essential, native sinfulness, which is as contrary to God's requisitions of inward purity as are outward sins to those for right conduct.

Spurgeon:

Verse 5. Behold, I was shapen in iniquity. He is thunderstruck at the discovery of his inbred sin, and proceeds to set it forth. This was not intended to justify himself, but it rather meant to complete the confession. It is as if he said, not only have I sinned this once, but I am in my very nature a sinner. The fountain of my life is polluted as well as its streams. My birth tendencies are out of the square of equity; I naturally lean to forbidden things. Mine is a constitutional disease, rendering my very person obnoxious to thy wrath. And in sin did my mother conceive me. He goes back to the earliest moment of his being, not to traduce his mother, but to acknowledge the deep tap roots of his sin. It is a wicked wresting of Scripture to deny that original sin and natural depravity are here taught. Surely men who cavil at this doctrine have need to be taught of the Holy Spirit what be the first principles of the faith. David's mother was the Lord's handmaid, he was born in chaste wedlock, of a good father, and he was himself, "the man after God's own heart;" and yet his nature was as fallen as that of any other son of Adam, and there only needed the occasion for the manifesting of that sad fact. In our shaping we were put out of shape, and when we were conceived our nature conceived sin. Alas, for poor humanity! Those who will may cry it up, but he is most blessed who in his own soul has learned to lament his lost estate.

20. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: What are you alluding to Ann? What one website and what one author? I believed the very same truth years before I even had a compter or knew what a website was.