1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Psalms Chapter 82: I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Feb 28, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Does this mean we are god's....
    I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High VERSE 6

I've heard this several times before including a fella that came to our Church with this mess... The god is a little G...

Ps 82:1 (KJV) God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
    2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
    3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
    4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
    5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
    6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
    7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.
    8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Jesus also references this verse.

John 1031-38
    31Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
    32Jesus answered them, Many good works have I showed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
    33The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
    34Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
    35If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
    36Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
    37If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
    38But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

An Interesting question that I would like those that are learned explain as well.[​IMG]

3. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

:jesus: Brothers and Sisters, please help us in understanding these passages in scriptures. I seems as if we have called some preachers false for saying we are little God's and stuff but doesnt it say it right here.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
    7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.
    8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

These "gods" that Creepo is saying we are...are going to die and fall like princes. That doesn't sound like a born again, saved by the blood child of God to me. These "gods" are going to fall under the judgment of God.

More than likely, "gods" refers to the leaders of the day who had been given (by God) their authority over the people of Israel.

When Jesus makes reference to this scripture, He is asking the people why do you think it's ok to call mere men "gods", but you are not willing to call the Messiah by His rightful name, God.

That is my understanding of it, for what it's worth. :)

5. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

lol... you crack me up with the creepo stuff..

My Brothers and Sisters I found this that my help us understand the meaning of this...

ELOHIM AND PSALM 82:6

Hugh Fogelman et al

What is the Jewish understanding of Psalm 82:6? Who are the “gods”referred in that verse? Some Christians make the claim that Judaism was not initially monotheistic and use this Psalm as their source.

Psalm 82:6 (KJV)
    ”I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.”

The Hebrew Stone Edition of the Tanakh explains that Psalm 82 has to do with the maintenance of equity and justice as a prerequisite for the continued existence of the world. The word used here in verse 6 is Elohim. In this and many other contexts, it does not refer to God, but to judges, as told in the 82nd Psalm.

In Exodus, for example, there is a case where two litigants are instructed to bring their case before Elohim and that the Elohim judges the case. It is clear in this case, as in Exodus, that it refers to judges.

Rashi, in his commentary on Sanhedrin, calls the word Elohim, “Lashon Gadlus V'Rabanus” a “terminology of greatness and mastery.” Thus, the word is applied to mean judges, VIPs and other false gods (as they are revered by their followers).

It may also apply to God Himself. Thus, Elo-him is one of the names (or references) to God. In fact, the Jewish view on the name is that when it says Elo-him that is referring to God's attribute of justice (or majesty).

The term Elo-him can refer to God or to judges or rulers. It denotes God's aspect of Justice. It's used in a number of places to refer to mortal judges. In fact, the English term “god” can also mean “powerful ruler” and does not necessarily denote a supernatural being (6th definition in the American Heritage Dictionary).

To understand Hebrew words, and their meaning, one should always read the verses before and after the verse in question to understand what the author was talking about. And, it also helps to understand the Hebrew language.

#5 TaliOrlando, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2008
  6. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

I think Amy G. has a pretty sound grasp of the passage. We've always got to determine who's speaking, to whom, why, etc.

The rulers of the day were perverting justice. God was letting them know that He had noticed. Here's the Hebrew word from Strong's:

H430
    אלהים
    'ĕlôhîym
    el-o-heem'
    Plural of H433; gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of the supreme God; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a superlative: - angels, X exceeding, God (gods) (-dess, -ly), X (very) great, judges, X mighty.

I think this is the case here.