1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pslams, Hymns & Spiritual Songs

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gib, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Gib

Gib Active Member

Read an interesting article on Col. 3:16. I'm asking for your educated or self learned opinion on the difference between the, admonishing one another in Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs.

Colossians gives three distinct forms. Is singing Psalms and hymns the same thing? If so, why didn't it just say hymns and spiritual songs? I think all 3 are specific and will have different aspects. The scripture encourages us to do all 3 with gratitude in our hearts to God.

I don't think there are too many churches in Southeast Georgia that are singing spiritual songs. Are churches who only sing praise music missing out on the hymns and spiritual songs? And are, hymn singing only churches, missing out on the singing of the psalms and spiritual songs?

So, do you think there is a distinction between "Psalms, Hymns & Spiritual Songs?" If you do, I would like to know your opinion. If you don't I would like your opinion as well. I would say, not to turn this into a heated debate, but some have a one track mind. [​IMG]

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

Does anyone have an opinion on the three?

3. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Dr. Bob showed the definitions of all of these.

Humnos = song of worship, glorifying deity and not experience

psalmos = songs based on scriptures (literal or paraphrase)

ode = song of experience, life; bible qualifies this with "spiritual"

Hymns speak about the greatness and the glory of God. Odes speak about God's acts or works in our life. Psalms are based around Scripture.

Do you mean praise and worship songs? The vast majority of praise and worship songs are one of these three. It is arrogant and presumptuous to think that what we call as 'hymns' are the only type of music that can fulfill these three criteria in Coloissians 3:16.

Absolutely not. Praise and Worship songs such as "You Alone" (written by David Crowder), "Praise Adonai" (Ross King), and "You Are My King" (Billy Foote) are wonderful hymns and spiritual songs. They also happen to be praise and worship songs - not what we call 'hymns.'

I don't think so. Most of the "hymns" that we sing in church are classified more as spiritual "odes." I think the main difference in modern praise and worship and hymns is this: Hymns, as sung by many churches, emphasizes horizontal worship - they sing songs ABOUT God. Much of the praise and worship music emphasizes vertical worship - they sing songs TO God.

4. Gib

Gib Active Member

No. I believe that God enjoys all three. Whether you sing choruses, hymns, anthems, choral arrangements, ect. But, there are those who justify not singing Praise and Worship style music by using Col. 3:16. You're right it's arrogant to think that way.

I don't have a problem with people who don't enjoy the Praise and Worship style, it's personal taste. But, I am concerned with those who think it's a waste of God's time to use it in during congregational worship. Your church sounds like they use both and you are not restricted to singing only one style of worship music.

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

Thanks for the breakdown. This is a little of what I'm looking for. [​IMG]

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

I agree. [​IMG]

7. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dr. Bob showed the definitions of all of these.

Humnos = song of worship, glorifying deity and not experience

psalmos = songs based on scriptures (literal or paraphrase)

ode = song of experience, life; bible qualifies this with "spiritual"

Hymns speak about the greatness and the glory of God. Odes speak about God's acts or works in our life. Psalms are based around Scripture.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone point me to the source of these definitions, how did you come up with these definitions Bob?

Note, I'm not trying to be awkward, this is something (Col 3:16) that I have been discussing with a friend who attends a different Church than I do. His Pastor is working through Colossians at present.

Surely the first and most obvious difference between Psalms and Hymns/Spiritual songs is that Psalms are the inspired word of God.

Strongs says PSALMOS : A sacred ode.

This issue of music is almost depressing, it would almost drive you to Exclusive Psalmody although even that has its problems.

God Bless

Enda

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the Greek source of each word in Col 3/Eph 5 passage. A psalm is a scripture song. A hymn is a paeon to God. An ode (spiritual) is just about any other poem.

Look in your hymnal. Usually you'll find 40 or so "hymns" right at the beginning. Some (very few) have "psalms" or Scriptures put to music. And about 500 praise, testimony, stir up the emotions type of "ode".

Very discouraging to see most of the P/W music is NOT WORSHIP. It is about MY Feelings, just like most of our hymnal.

Add the lyrics of YOUR FAVORITE HYMN to the new thread I'm starting:

9. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Show us what you mean. What are the examples you are thinking of, when you say that praise and worshp isn't really worship, but emotionalism. Care to present the songs? Can you back up this statement?

10. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Thanks Bob,

I would agree with your observations, our church hymnbook, when put to the test, seems to consist mainly of spiritual songs.

Thanks for your help,

Enda