1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PSYCHICS

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by LorrieGrace, Oct 28, 2004.

1. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I have seen Sylvia Brown on Montell Williams on Wednesdays on a weekly basis. I just watched a few minutes of it and was surprised that the audience REALLY believes her.

This lady asked about a murder and she told the lady to tell the police the killer's first name, which she gave. When the lady asked what the last name was, she didn't know.

My question would be why would she only be able to come up with the first name and not the last and have these people STILL believe her?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Sylvia Brown is not a psychic. She's a charlatain, who has the intuitive ability to read peoples' body language and emotional vibes, and gives them an answer that fits what they want to hear. She has no special power, other than the power to fupe people into buying her empty sales pitch.

I've watched her on Montel several years in a row when she has given her "new year" predictions. Among those are the following:

5 years ago, she said southern California would be hit with a major earthquake. We're still waiting.

4 years ago, she said Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Schriver would be getting a divorce. It never happenned. (how come she wasn't able to predict him running for office??)

3 years ago, she predicted that "the Amazing Randi" would fall ill with a tumor on his lung. To date, he has never been diagnosed with any such tomor, growth, etc.

2 years ago, she said Osama Bin Laden would turn up dead. We're still waiting for that one.

A local OC area private university did a study on Sylvia Brown's "predictions" and found that her rate of making an accurate prediction was "slightly higher than chance". BTW, if this sounds like something you've heard before, many universitiy classes have their students do stats on "psychics" to discuss probability laws and theories. Guess what? The result is always areound the same rate as random chance.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The predicitions of psychics are usually way off. But when they give info on the past or present, sometimes they are right. This is due to a number of factors:
    1. Coincidence
    2. A general statement that fits several peole
    3. The person hearing it giving more info
    4. Demonic help

I do not think Christians should discount the last factor. I disagree with JohnV that Browne is necessarily a charlatan. She may be at some points but I have read several of her books. She has a past that includes being introduced to a spirit guide at age 8 and had a grandmother who encouraged her to believe these things (the grandmother did, too).

When one gets involved in spirit contact and occult activities, demons come along to help. I now this because I had many paranormal experiences, took psychic development classes, and was a professional astrologer. I was not a fraud nor a charlatan, nor were my astrologer and psychic friends. We all believed in what we were doing.

Also, it's not always a matter of reading body language. I often did charts for people I never met. I would be given a name, birthdate, birthplace and that's it. I would do the chart, recording it on audio tape for the person. I got good feeback and often had things right about the person that were specific. This was not due to astrology or to my "skill" but to demonic help.

Predictions about the future are usually wrong because Satan does not know the future (except what we know from the Bible - that he will lose).
    However, demons can know about the past and present.

4. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Marcia,

Pyschics are helped by evil spirits? Is there any situation in which they are helped by God?

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No! Psychics are going against God. The term "psychic" is a broad term that often covers things like contacting the dead (though not all psychics do this), contacting "spirit beings," being clairvoyant, doing tarot cards (though some tarot card readers do not operate as psychics), and other related areas.

Being a psychic is either doing divination or doing spirit contact, broadly speaking, both of which are strongly condemned by God. See Deut. 18:10-12.

A psychic is not using a gift from God because God condemns this kind of thing.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

LorrieGrace, read my article on psychics at
    http://cana.userworld.com/cana_psychics.html

It might help explain more to you. I knew a lot of psychics before I was a Christian - one was a mentor and another one married me and my former husband.

7. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Jesus did call Pharisees open Tombs and people who were physically alive He called dead so I think the real truth is contacting the walking dead on behalf of the Living God.

But Sylvia is just a woman what her motives are or what she can or cannot do is not for us.

Maybe the world is really hungry for the Spiritual or for some assurance in their lives and maybe the ones who are supposed to bring it are not feeding the masses hungry people.

Jesus said the WHOLE WORLD WOULD BELIEVE (No dobt about it) ***IF*** we LOVED ONE ANOTHER... But that aint gonna happen anytime soon as far as I can see unless changes in the hearts of Gods people are made.

When He comes He asks, "Will He find FAITH on earth" the answer is NO. Because Faith worketh Love and love never fails. But the Love of many is seen as waxing cold because the faith of Christ would be dimished in the hearts of men. Its the only way it can happen.

No faith... it cannot work love =Love of many grown cold.

God Bless

Seth

8. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Marcia,

I visited the sites and put it in my favorites. It is a WEALTH of information. Thanks for sharing it!!!

I haven't gone through the whole site yet, but I wonder what makes someone BELIEVE these pyschics? I just do not understand how I can see the same thing and hear the same thing as the person and I am screaming at the TV this is a sham and the person is profusely thanking Sylvia for the information. They really believe her or they are wonderful actors. I am just stymied and perplexed!

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I would have to say "no". There's a difference between someone getting a voice to turn left instead of right, and being able to "tap into" some kind of ability at will. Since there has never been a verifiable case of anyone actually having psychic or telekenetic abilities, it's fair to say that such a thing is nothing more than conjecture and suggestion.

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Interestingly Saul went to a Psychic 1Sam 28?

11. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

BenW

Its funny How "we" define something but God defines it differently.

A good example is here.

1Sam 15:23 For rebellion [is as] the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness [is as] iniquity and idolatry.

Rebellion =Witchcraft

Stubborness=Idolotry

God Bless

Seth3

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

LorrieGrace, so glad you like my website!

The reason you are screaming at the TV and other people are thanking Sylvia is because it seems very real to them. Also, they want to believe they can hear from their loved one, and Sylvia provides this (they think). It gives them what they want -- reassurance.

I used to believe one could contact the dead. I was in seances and would "see" the dead person or "see" his/her name in my mind. I also attended some spiritualist churches (where they contact the dead and give messages from them).

I still say that one can get this info from demons -- it is not a power possessed by the psychic but something being given to them that they think is theirs.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, he went to a medium/psychic. He had actually banned these people from the land, so he went at night, covered up. But God did not condone this, although Samuel (I believe it was Samuel) did appear. This was because God allowed him to, in order to rebuke Saul and predict Saul's death the next day (and that of his sons), and Israel's loss to the Philistines. I address this topic of Samuel in an article that was the cover story for the Christian Research Journal about 2 yrs. ago, "I See Dead People: A Look at After-Death Communication." It's at
    http://www.equip.org/free/DD810.htm

14. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

I don't think theres anything wrong with Meditating or an open mind. The higher Self would be Christ IN YOU who God desires. He is Truth and God desires Truth in the inner part. He is the Rock which is Higher then I.

The meditation of thy word bringeth Light.

God bless

Seth3

15. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Devil ALWAYS has counterfiets to Christianity.

16. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Yes the Man of Sin is the One who works in accordance to the Law (and the righteousness of it) as the Pharisees were the children of the Devil.Though THIS TIME They come in Christs Name- THESE are those we are told to beware of not those outside the church world. God judges them.

That Tree of knowledge of good and evil gets them everytime.

And the Pharisee prayed thus WITH HIMSELF (unknowlingly) saying GOD, I thank you that I'm not like other men or like this publican (or this Physcic).

Same point. She might consult what she feels are those dead in the body but spiritually living off somewhere.

But how many people consult the living dead (as the pharisees were considered) on behalf of the living God? Not believing God is able to teach them and guide them? Thus holding the hands of blind men to lead them. The Blind don't think they are blind... In fact they will tell you they can see as Jesus shows.

God bless

Seth3

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Deuteronomy 18:9-12 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
    10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
    11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
    12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

Seth,
    It is not a good idea to trivialize the teaching of Bible by allegorizing so much of it. Neither the Pharisee nor the Publican had any thing to do with Psychics.

The tree of the knowledge of good and evil "doesn't get anyone."

The paranormal is a very real thing. There are Psychics today that do work in conjunction with the spirit world, that is, through demons. There are many demon-possessed people in this world. We live in a real world, that ought not to be trivialized into an allegory.
    DHK

18. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

John 18:20 Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.

1Corinth 1:20 Where [is] the wise? where [is] the scribe? where [is] the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

1Corinth 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

John 8:19-29 Jesus speaking to those who trusted in the law (Jews by hands) verses (True Jew by the circumcision of God) He says THEY are of the world.

Jesus always rebuked the Pharisees

John 7:7 The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

The leaven of the Pharisees is what to beware of Jesus said.

1Corinth 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened [bread] of sincerity and truth.

1Corinth 5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

Now He explains WHO He is speaking of

1Corinth 5:10 Yet NOT altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

Jesus did not take us out of THIS WORLD (But the religious world here)

1Corinth 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is CALLED A BROTHER be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one DO NOT EAT

As I posted way back Witchcraft and Idolotry are called and defined by God as stuburness and rebellion.

Even Jesus said those that had a name that they were alive were dead, consulting THESE can be seen as consulting the dead on behalf of the Living (God Himself). The Spiritual truth is greater the natural eye sees what is obvious but not as God calls it.

Jesus said the Pharisees were the children of the devil. Satan works using the law coming as ministers of "Righteousness" yet not Christs but their own.

God Bless

Seth3

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I am not sure why you are bringing meditation into this. But Biblical meditation is not the same as New Age or Eastern meditation which is what is being promoted in the culture today. Biblical meditation is thinking about God's word and sometimes it means memorizing God's word. It has nothing to do with a technique that invovles special breathing, focusing, or emptying the mind.

The term "higher self" is a New Age term that specifically means what it says - a part of you that has "higher consciousness" and is more aware of one's inner intrinsic divinity (intrinsic godlike nature). I would not use the term "higher self" as a Christian. This will confuse and mislead both believers and non-believers.

20. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Meditating is on Gods words that the fire of the holy Spirit can bring light to His word. My higher "Self" would be Christ. Its no longer I who live but Christ within me I am found IN HIM.

Actually I believe some refrain from religious language because they been so turned off from the hypocricy that most people look elsewhere for the Truth. But God is righteous. His name was blasphemed before (among the gentiles) God did not blame the gentiles He blamed the Jews. He then justified the gentiles showing the law was written on their hearts even though they never knew the law. Whereas the Jews under the law saw the gentiles as under a curse because they did not know Gods law, they were the ones who were REALLY under Gods curse and knew it not.

I believe we do have what "they call" a Higher consiciousness, its called Christ in us the Rock Higher then I. Theres nothing unbiblical about that. We are given the MIND OF CHRIST. But traditions of men make others blaspheme God calling it evil when in fact its our birthright to share in this and Paul say so.

OUR MINDS Killed Him why do you think Gogaltha is called, "the place of the skull"? The letter kills and the natural carnal mind of man cannot comprehend the things of God by fact of Gods design.

The command is simply. Believe in Him and have the faith of Christ in you that He might dwell in our hearts by faith which worketh love.

Its SCRIPTURE that we change by beholding Him. And when (in our experience) we see Him (who is invisible) we shall see Him as He is for as HE IS SO ARE WE IN THIS WORLD.

We are to be partakers of His divine nature, this is not just a beautiful saying that we simply quote its our spiritual reality and our birthright as Christ is formed within us. He is glorified in us. Theres nothing evil about that.

God Bless

Seth3