1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PSYCHICS

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by LorrieGrace, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

DHK,

I think you mean what was in Tony's post that caused Seth to respond the way he did. Is that correct?

Bro Tony

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Thanks Tony,
    It was a late night. I stayed up to watch the result of the elections.
    DHK

3. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Tony says,

I called you no names.

Seth3 shows a quote from Tony..

Someone needs a course in biblical interpretation, history, and the geographic layout of the place of crucifixion.

Seth replies

I see an insult here (though I’m not easily insulted) I will call one when I see one.

Tony says

Also, this statement is gnostic in its essence.

Seth3 replies,

I still do not know what this means or how God sees what the term means is cast in a negative light, I haven’t a clue to what this is.

Tony says

This whole thread is filled with allegorizing the Word, making it of no effect or authority.

Seth3 replies,

I believe after reading Paul for years now I see him using more (as you would call it) Allegories, I believe they are VERY EFFECTIVE of conveying Spiritual Truth, Actually enabling one to walk in Spiritual understanding. I cannot see the wrong in this, His word is Spirit and Truth, His Word is IN US. We cant as Jesus has said search the scriptures thinking that in them are eternal life these testify of Him and Him in us. The word is near you its in your heart (Both OT and NT) when we believe that we walk in this. Is walking in the Spirit what you mean by “mystic” or “Gnostic” as you call it?

Tony says

When you do that there is no possibility of discussion because the one who allegorizes the Scripture has already taken the liberty to make the Word say whatever they want.

Seth3 replies,

I hope to share the Spiritual bread as I have received it, its life to me. I think what you may mean is there is no possibility for argument? In the Spirit is Liberty and the New covenant God teaches us through what is already written. I just see it differently then you, I’m ok with that but I think its unkind to jump on someone I the manner you did. I will respond to that so would you as you have done already.

Tony says
    I spoke of your approach to the Scripture as being gnostic in nature and mystical in interpretation rather than literal.

Seth replies,

I do not understand what you are referring to in being “Gnostic or mystical” these terms are foreign to me can you show me in scripture what you are talking about and how God sees this as it relates to the terms? Is this a different way of saying Spiritual but in a negative light?

Tony says,

I spoke of your self-righteousness in referring to others as pharisees.

Seth3 replies,

Now Tony, that is like the pot calling the kettle black? You can insult but I cannot call you on it? Besides I did not call you one specifically now did I. I showed a “reference” to how “Pharisees” thought but I did not say it directly did I? Self righteousness is derived from the law not by showing scripture of Pharisees com on now you know better. You won’t find me judging anyone by the law. Its pretty easy to discern things by the Spirit as we are told.

Tony says,

As you said anyone can read your above responses and the way you relate Scripture to see what I said is true. I did not call you a gnostic or a mystic, you may or may not be, but your approach to Scripture surely are both gnostic and mystical.

Seth3 says,

Yes and I did not call you a Pharisee but I consider your approach to be A typical. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THESE ARE OR MEAN, it would be so helpful if you can show me in scripture how terrible a thing this is you speak of here.

Tony says

That is the issue.

Seth3 says,

Now we have the real issue, thank you. Please help me with what the scriptures say about these terms and how the scriptures condemn it so I can understand where you are on this issue.

Tony says

I sure you don't see it as you feel all you are doing is seeing Christ in everything, but you are clearly reading hidden messages into the literal Scripture that is not there. And you also clearly feel, by your statements, that if others don't see it your way they are not being spiritual.

Seth3 responds,

No one has to see it my way at all I have often said everyone sees differently even the Sabbath but just as they have their say I’m allowed mine as well right? God teaches us it’s the New covenant. We don’t need to shove our views down anyones throat. I write as much (if not more so) to share with those who may just be reading but may be too intimated to come in. I actually see and GLORY in Christ and love finding the treasures of His Testimony in scripture showing through the many paterns shadows and types the glorious salvation plan God had hid in His foreknowledge. I simply delight in His Testimonies, I’m guilty as charged on that account, because my faith explodes in Him and the Wisdom of God and the awesomeness of His knowledge.

Tony says

BTW--I did not ask you about the "Kingdom of Heaven", I asked you about whether you believe in a literal heaven and hell.

Seth3 says
    Absolutely they are literal I just told you I believe in the Kingdom of Heaven what other heaven from scripture is there?

Heres Jesus looks UP to heaven

Mat 14:19 and looking up to heaven

Heres what the Kingdom of heaven is LIKE (there are other examples)

Mat 13:44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.

Heres Mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven

Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

He tells us of heavenly things here

John 3:12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you [of] heavenly things?

Spiritual blessing in heavenly places

Ephes 1:3 Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly [places] in Christ:

Heres where we sit in Him

Ephes 2:6 And hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus:

Hebrews 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

Heres HELL

Hell and destruction [are] before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?

Prov 27:30 Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.

Isaiah 28:15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:
    And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.

Isaiah 57:9 And thou wentest to the king with ointment, and didst increase thy perfumes, and didst send thy messengers far off, and didst debase [thyself even] unto hell.

Mat 5:2 but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Mat 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Eppistles on Hell (Two) Weird but the Tongue is seen on the Rich Man in Hell and here as well.

James 3:6 And the tongue [is] a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. (2Peters 2:4)

Tony says

I noticed you changed my terminology about heaven and did not answer about hell.

Seth replies,

You did not ask me which heaven you were talking about theres seems to be various descriptions and pictures I picked the one I saw the clearest. I didn’t think I had to answer you about Hell I simply said yes its in scripture I believe as its written. But I do understand that scholars who translated the text on the word hell (from whats on the internet) have admittedly and openly confessed it was misinterpreted, I say this not for argument (you can run a search on it yourself I’m not a scholar trained in words in that way). I’m glorying where I am. There’s alot in scripture. You weigh things out and see them as your shown. Hope that helps box me up for you.

4. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Seth,

I will say again for the last time, you cannot find me calling you any name in any post.

When I asked you about heaven and hell, it was not my intention to get into a discussion on all the different references used in other threads. It is a simple question, Is heaven a place that when believers die they will go to? Is hell a place that unbelievers will spend eternity?

As you have referred me to other post, I would encourage you to do some study on gnostism and mysticism. It will do you good, I think you will see that your approach to allegorizing Scripture where there is no allegory fits real well.

Finally, I have no intention to "box you up", if that is a reference that you would prefer that I not respond to this issue any further with you, I will honor your wishes.

Bro Tony

5. Lori

Lori New Member

Oy. Can you boys just all agree to disagree and let's put this one to bed? Maybe we can get back on topic. =O) Going back and forth over who did or did not name call or insult is not helpful to the discussion (although like a train wreck it was for a while irresistable to read) which was psychics. Specifically Sylvia Brown. My understanding is that maybe everyone was up late and *everyone in the country* right now is all keyed up after the election.

Seth, I read some of the back and forth between you and Marcia and I think it could be prudent to read her website and do a pm to her regarding witnessing to New Age believers. I believe that her length of time spent on the New Age path provides very keen insite into how someone of that nature believes and possibly comes to their conclusions on spiritual things.

To all...watching Sylvia Brown is much like watching that perverbial(sp???) auto wreck and people of all beliefs will sometimes rubberneck to see what's going on. Can't decide which is more trouble Ms. Sylvia or that psychic dude on Sci-fi channel. John somethingorother.

azwyld
    &lt;*}}}&gt;&lt;

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

PSYCHIC SYLVIA BROWN’S PREDICTIONS COME TRUE – SORT OF

On December 15, 2003, a radio show host, who was filling in for Art Bell, a late night show specializing in the absurd, was quick to comment on the “uncanny accuracy” of self-proclaimed psychic, Sylvia Brown. He said Brown predicted that, “within the year, Usuma Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein would both be found hiding in caves. Furthermore, they would each be surrounded by many of their followers and neither would be taken alive.”

Okay, so it’s now 2004, and Bin Laden is still missing, and Hussein was discovered hiding in a man-made hole in the ground. He was also very much alone. Because he surrendered at the first sight of a US soldier, he is still alive.

Not to be put off by these rather conspicuous errors, the announcer proceeded to say that even though Brown’s predictions were “a bit off the mark” they were nevertheless accurate, and a thing to behold. Honest, this is what the man said.

FRAUD TECH
    DHK

7. music4Him

music4Him New Member

~LorrieGrace~ [​IMG]
    I don't know if anyone answered your question or not? Do you think she might be talking to "familiar" "spirit(s)"? Like Saul searched out the which of Endor? I looked up the word "familiar" at crosswalk.com in the KJV and upon reading the scripture...it convinces me that no one needs to be listening to those psychics.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's all you had to say. As soon as the words "Art Bell" come up, the quack-alert goes off!!!

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

CBC TV (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) is doing a documentary at nine o'clock MST, called "The Miracle Worker," an investigation into Benny Hinn's ``miracle crusades.''
    Benny Hinn is a fraud. They are about to expose him. In some ways he is like a psychic as well. "You will be healed." HA!
    DHK

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I know the TV show "Charmed" well. It is about 3 sisters (and then they added another sister later) who are all witches. They were born this way but don't discover it until they are adults. There is a lot of the TV fictional view of witches in it, but the sisters do have a Book of Shadows which is used by real witches. Even though what these sisters do is not too much like real witches, the show glamorizes witchraft, and that's the issue I have with it.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

~LorrieGrace~ [​IMG]
    I don't know if anyone answered your question or not? Do you think she might be talking to "familiar" "spirit(s)"? Like Saul searched out the which of Endor? I looked up the word "familiar" at crosswalk.com in the KJV and upon reading the scripture...it convinces me that no one needs to be listening to those psychics.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I saw Sylvia Browne today -- on Montel Williams again. It's true she often does not have all the info and often gets things wrong. However, she seems to get enough right for some people, and people want to believe her. That is a very important thing. Today, she told a woman that her dead mother was around in the kitchen a lot. The woman smiled and said yes, that had been her mother's favorite place. That could have been a good guess on Sylvia's part, coincidence (after all, a lot of women like to cook and to be in the kitchen, or they are there a lot even if they don't like it!). It could also be the transmission of info from evil spirits, though in this case, I think it was a good guess.

I have seen both Browne and John Edward (from "Crossing Over") say some things very specific that were correct. Since this happened to me when I was an astrologer and I know I was being "guided" and fed information at times, I have no problem believing that evil spirits were helping me and also may help Browne and Edward.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Deuteronomy 18:20-22 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
    21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
    22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

TWO REQUIREMENTS OF A PROPHET:
    1. He had to speak in the name of the Lord.
    2. He had to prophecy 100% accurately all the time.

If those two requirements were not met, he was either to be stoned, or in the very least, not to to be feared or not to be paid attention to.
    Remember 100% accuracy 100% of the time was required.
    DHK

13. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

DHK, do you know if it will be on in the U.S.?

Music4Him, I don't know, but I do know that when I hear her there is a warning going off in my spirit saying, "DANGER, DANGER"--I don't know if you are old enough to remember the robot on Lost in Space?? It used the scare me TO death. I don't watch long because I know that warning is from God and He does NOT want me to get involved with that kind of stuff.

Lori, I know who you are talking about. John Edwards. I used to work at a bookstore and those new age/psychics were hot stuff. I did a LOT of praying in that store! And you are right about the rubbernecking, good analogy!! LOL

14. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Marcia, thanks for your insight. That show DOES seem to promote and glamorize being a witch. At the bookstore there was a series of books about a teenage Wiccan. I believe the series was called SWEEP. Anyway, I was truly upset when I saw it and thought it was wrong to put it in the intermediate section. This world is just getting worse all the time.

I could not believe some of the stuff that was on the shelves that should have been in an adult book store! Mercy!

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Let's get John Edward's name right. It's John Edward. No "s." Christians say it wrong all the time.

DHK, good passage you posted. Here's another one -- this one shows that even if a psychic or someone like that gets something right, if their teaching goes against God's word, the fact they got something right does not mean it's from God:

16. music4Him

music4Him New Member

LOL....I will probley give my age away, but yes I remember that robot! tee hee hee
    BTW, that "feeling" you say that you feel....could it be the gift of discerment? (1Cor.12:10) [​IMG] :D [​IMG]

.....And DHK is right about the prophet information in Deut....if someone didn't use the guidelines laid out in Deut. that would make them a false prophet. I bet my bottom dollar she gets paid BIG $$$$ for appearing on Montel too? Shouldn't she work for free or somethin'... if she is using her ummmm errrr "ability/craft" (for lack of better of words) for the Lord. See she has just been exposed by what DHK quoted out of Duet. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Music4Him [​IMG]

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The program, called "Fifth Estate," exposed Benny Hinn as a complete fraud, who has never performed a clearly documented miracle. The people that come are carefully selected and only those that are agile enough to raise their arms are allowed on the platform. The truly disabled are kept towards the back in a special area and are not allowed to come close.
    There is never any follow up on these so-called miracles. Most of what you see on stage happens because of a psychological effect caused by the surrounding euphoria. It is a type of mind of matter that will last for a few hours, even a few days, and then the person will return back to their norman condition, perhaps even worse then before. Those that are on stage usually have cancer, HIV, or some other hidden disease. You will never see a missing arm grow back in front of the TV audience.
    Hinn claims he uses every penny for the ministry of the gospel. But he lives in a house in California worth $10 million dollars all tax free. He has two mercedes worth %80,000.00 each. Often coming back from crusades overseas he stops on layovers for a few days in the most expensive hotels (presdiential suites) in Europe, that cost thousands of dollars a night. Yet, he still insists that every penny he receives goes to his gospel ministry.

150 years ago, the commentator made the comment, Hinn would have been called a slick snake oil salesman.
    He is a charlatan and a fraud, that has a canny ability in knowing how to manipulate people, especially large crowds.
    DHK

18. music4Him

music4Him New Member

BTW, ya'll that are in the US and get the CBN/700 Club.... Benny Hinn is on today. I get it on TBN around 2:00 pm Texas time.

19. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I wonder why they would have Hinn on 700 Club. He should not be promoted like that. I think that those who are of his ilk will have to pay for their luxurious lifestyle when they stand in front of God.

That money for vacations, homes, cars, hair, etc could be used to help those that have no homes, no food, etc. It is a real downer to know that people profit off the name of our Lord and Saviour. Jesus would never live in a mansion. Hinn should ask himself WWJD?????

20. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Well thats wonderful :eek: .....its fundraiser time on TBN. Going to 700clubs website to see if theres something there. ;)