1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

psychological addiction?

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by evenifigoalone, Sep 9, 2016.

1. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several years back I had a bout with mental health. I had labelled it as depression for the longest time. While depression was involved, lately I've been thinking it was something more along the lines of addiction. Though no drugs or addictive substances were involved, and the thing I believe I was addicted to is innocent enough on it's own.
    To clarify, I no longer suffer from this. But I was fixated on a particular thing. It was a gradual thing, but over time it got to where I felt anxious when not indulging in the thing. I began to feel depressed and suicidal--feelings which disappeared when I turned to the thing, and reappeared when I was not or could not indulge in it. Life without the thing seemed equivalent to life without oxygen, the very thought was distressing. I made countless attempts to just stop, I knew it was hurting me. But I always went back to it.
    Eventually, one of my attempts finally made it. I had the support and prayers of a couple confidants. While successful it wasn't fun at all, and the depression was stronger than ever for a time. But eventually that gradually began to fade.

I remember at the time thinking it was all just spiritual warfare, but reading about the symptoms of addiction and all, and the experiences of addicts, it just fits too well with my own experience.

#1 evenifigoalone, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been there - had a difficult 'bout with depression more than 10 years ago now.
    ...lasted long enough so that now I have compassion for others who suffer from it.
    Dreadful, disabling, at least tangentially related to sin in my life.

There was a commercial just a few years back about a product that helped with depression.
    The ad showed a woman living with a black cloud over her... I could relate.

Like Paul writes, 'we're all slaves to somethin'.
    Where do we draw our comfort from?

Rob

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me preface this by saying that I am not a medical professional. Ok, that being said...

Addiction is generally divided into psychological and physical addictions. Your situation sounds exactly like a psychological addiction, IMO.

A physical addiction (or just physical dependence, for the cases without abuse--like certain medications that require a taper to quit), by contrast, would cause withdrawal symptoms regardless of the psychological state of the individual if the substance is removed.

A significant difference is that withdrawal from a psychological addiction can make you extremely uncomfortable but won't kill you. (It could, however, be a factor in prompting a person to commit suicide.)

Physical addictions (like delirium tremens with alcohol) may actually kill you upon withdrawal, so the process has to be managed carefully.
    ----

I can relate to the depression angle. I'm actually in a depressive episode right now, and I am not doing very well with it. It's not related to addiction, though. I have bipolar disorder, so I can get these episodes randomly.

4. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's helpful, thank you.
    Since I never did see a professional or anything I am somewhat reluctant to use any labels, but I don't see what else it could have been. And there wouldn't be any point in seeing a professional in the here and now since it's behind me. (When it was going on I defined it as spiritual idolatry and thought I was being punished for it, if professional help was available I wouldn't have known to seek it out back then.)

Sorry you're not doing too well right now.=/

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the kind words.

6. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are in my prayers StefanM. Know very well the black dog and have spent way too much of my life with mental illness. Not bipolar , though I definitely have a depressive component. Surprisingly, to me at least this is the first year of my adult life where I have NOT had a blue patch over winter of any significance.....hope it doesnt occur only once in 40 years haha