1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Psychology vs. The Bible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Dec 10, 2013.

?
  1. ... only choose a counselor of a psychological discipline

7.7%
  2. ... only choose a counselor of a biblical discipline

23.1%
  3. ... choose a counselor of psychological discipline using Christian approach

69.2%
  4. ... not go to a counselor of any kind (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No Opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over the years, I have sought advice/counseling from pastors and counselors in church-based settings and have had some of the worst advice you can imagine. While that is not consistently true - I have occasionally received solid guidance - much of what I heard had more to do with political/social opinions than scripture. And as one who has suffered from depression aggravated by life circumstances from time to time, I don't really need people telling me that I need to "rejoice in the Lord" or else I am sinning against God. When I am in the pit with my feet in the miry clay (Psalm 40), I don't need someone shouting down the hole, telling me I need to change my attitude toward life and get happy. No, I need someone to come alongside and help me out of the pit.

As someone who has been in "professional" counseling/therapy on three different occasions, I feel the need to chime in here about my experience with psychologists/psychiatrists:

The first time I went to counseling was about 15 years ago when I was going through major depression because of unresolved grief over the death of a family member, as well as betrayal by my ex-wife who cheated on me for over a year (that I know of) and then abandoned our marriage. My M.D. sent me to a "secular" therapist. I didn't care for him much and found much of what he said to be unhelpful. It was clear to me he didn't understand my faith - especially in the aftermath of what had happened - and he did not have much good advice except that I needed to go start a new life for myself. That motivated me to take some personal risks and completely start a new career. Ultimately, it was a beneficial experience, although I think I could have taken that advice from anyone willing to give it to me, although no one else seemed to take the initiative to come alongside and help.

The second time I went to counseling was a few years ago after a family member committed suicide. I was unable to process the grief because of my intense anger toward some other family members who created and sustained the conditions for this person to get into the mental state that he did over the course of a decade. I also suffered a bit of PTSD after having to manage the cleanup of the suicide (shotgun in the mouth - very messy) for the family. I've seen a lot of bloody things as a first-responder, but it is different when it is a family member that you have loved. I sought recommendations from some friends and found a psychologist whom I believe is a Methodist. Over the course of a couple of months, he worked with me to refocus my anger into positive action and talk through the PTSD issues. We really didn't get into "religious" talk, but I had the sense he understood my faith and respected it.

I am actually involved in counseling with a psychiatrist at this time. I was asked to join a family member's counseling sessions for a few weeks last year and that has extended all the way to the present time because of the benefit to the family member. I did not choose the psychiatrist, but she is Jewish - although I don't know if it is merely cultural or if she is a believing Jew - and is respectful of other people's belief systems. The family member is an atheist and we regularly wade into the religious areas because that is a basic area of conflict we have. The psychiatrist is extremely fair and insightful and is doing great work for my family member. I thoroughly believe she is being used of God and that the whole thing is God-ordained and directed.

2. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Where does psychology come from? What are it's roots?

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Oh, I can't wait -- pray, tell us!! :rolleyes:

You might want to read my OP, since you chose to resurrect a four-month-old thread I started.

4. plain_n_simple

The OP says nothing about the origins of the art in your opinion.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

1. Avoiding the issue.
    2. I didn't say it would. I just suggested you read the OP. It does tell you the perspective I have of the subject.

Care to try again?

6. plain_n_simple

What is the origin of psychology?

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

You tell me. You seem to believe you already know the answer. Beware, though. You're probably wrong.

#27 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  8. plain_n_simple

I do know this answer. I wanted to hear your perspective of the origin of psychology.

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

I'm sure you think you know. I seriously doubt that you do.

Don't ask a question you don't want to answer yourself.

10. plain_n_simple

I think I know where the origin of psychology comes from, but maybe I'm wrong. In your view, what is the origin of psychology?

11. thisnumbersdisconnected

With the ancient Greeks. A philopher named Thale, a contemporary of Heraclitus, who postulated the existence of The Logos, designating the divine reason or plan which coordinates a changing universe. Though Heraclitus didn't realize it, he was speaking of God as is revealed in the Bible. His thinking created the basis for the gnostics to postulate and then later accept the teachings of Christ. Thales, meanwhile, saw psychology, medicine and philosophy in a more integrated way since the idea of mens sana in corpore sano or "healthy mind in a healthy body." The word "psychology" actually means, "study of the mind." He and Heraclitus came to call the total concept "soul healing."

What Freud and others brought to the study centuries later deliberately ignored the spiritual aspects of the conscious and subconscious in favor of "science." Today, even among the most diehard in the professions, it is acknowledged that psychology is not a science but an art.

Dr. Aaron Beck is the father of the branch of psychology I favor, behavioral psychology. Dr. Beck was a Christian, and in the 1950s revived the spiritual aspects of mental health diagnosis and treatment. He developed Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which is derived from biblical principles of repentance, though obviously, he could not take a "theory of repentance" to the APA and expect to have it endorsed. So he called it CBT and the rest is history.

Psychology, from Dr. Beck's perspective and a growing number of counselors and therapists including myself, is nothing other than the art of understanding how God made the mind, how He created it to function, what can go wrong in human reasoning and experience to cause the mind to malfunction, either through behavioral and personality issues or through chemistry imbalances, and using biblical principles to aid and assist the "mind's owner" in reacquiring normal social, emotional and intellectual function.

12. plain_n_simple

Thank you for responding to my question.

13. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

Theodore Dalrymple is my hero.

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: