1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Psychology

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 24, 2012.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be in prayer

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Pray for him, try him and execute him.

3. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

What he did was certainly heinous, and he may indeed be demon possessed or just plain deeply sinful.

But what if his brain IS malfunctioning? What if he hears non demon voices that are not there, sees non demon things that are not there? What if he cannot tell the difference in reality and delusion?

My take is that in those cases you lock them away with compassion and treatment for life without hope of release.

But I do not want to stand before the Almighty and answer for judging him if he turns out truly to have a "broken brain."

Nor do I want the Lord to have to teach me by experience what mental illness feels like to teach me to withhold judgement until I have the facts.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are not talking compassion, you are talking rebellion. God calls for the death penalty. Compassion does not lock someone up for life with no hope of release. You are greatly deceived. No one has to murder even when these quack doctors say they are mentally ill.
    1Cor 10:13
    There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

People who do not understand do not plot for month murdering others, but that is not the issue. The word of God is and if we as believers are going to follow it or not.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    isn't the biggest "mentally ill" person to who live satan? How can a rational and sane being think he could overcome God? he faced judgement for the crime!

6. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

freeatlast, until you become omnicient you have no place calling me rebellious!

To the OT Jew, someone with hanson's disease or eczema or any one of a dozen or so skin disease was considered ceremonially unclean, unfit to approach others and defiling them before God.

Ditto men with less than full manhood parts re the Temple.

Now we know that having a biological disease does not equate with sin.

And the OT laws you quote re murder don't give us the OT laws re manslaughter.

If indeed his brain is broken, we must deal with him as a sick person rather than as a criminal. No need to inflict him on society, though.

But again, if it turns out he could not distinguish between reality and delusion he is no more accountable than a person with a broken leg can be held accountable for not running fast enough to suit judgemental pharisees.

You do know, do you not, our Savior considering defaming another person akin to murder?

Do you not know a spirit of hatred and judgementalism puts one just as much at odds with God as what this shooter did?

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes the bible does cover manslaughter. There is no broken brains that cause a person murder people. Sicken heart with evil yes and God calls for the death penalty. We all make a choice who we will follow. Our own ways or God's. Our ways are rebelllion, God's ways are faith.

8. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh freeatlast, you are the least free person!

Yes, broken brains can make one murder.

Now, if this guy is a psychopath and freely chose to murder, I'd have no problem voting to send him to the chair.

On the other hand, if he has a brain tumor that causes madness, or if an mri shows the enlarged ventricles and atrophying brain that can accompany some brain disease and bring this on, I'd have to vote permanent incarceration with treatment.

The Bible does indeed recognize the difference between deciding intelligently to kill someone and killing "without intent" and the latter does not carry the death penalty.

And to be honest, we do not know yet if this madman had the ability to form intent to do what he did. We know what he plotted and planned, but do not know yet if he was capable of thinking clearly.

So, yes, broken brains CAN cause heinous actions.

And judging without all the facts equals murder in the eyes of Jesus.

Just sayin.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Why would you put someone in prison if they cannot help what they did? How is that justice?

10. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

The justice point aside, the individual is prevented from reoffending while out of society.

11. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

freeatlast:

If you are driving well below speed limit, with chains or studded snow tires, on a mildly slick winter road and spin out, hitting a small child on the side of the rode, would that be murder?

In the same way, if mental illness--that is, true brain disease--causes a person to kill another, it isn't culpable murder.

Now, we could maybe stop you from driving, or driving on snow, or otherwise prevent you from hitting another child.

But in the case of the brain disabled, there may be no way to prevent another death but to keep you where you cannot kill again.

It is indeed justice--for the victims, for the potential victims, and for the perpetrator.

There have been times when a person unknown to have heart disease has a sudden heart attack (and also happens with stroke), causes a fatal accident but the heart attack (or stroke) victim lives. Should they be treated the same as someone who goes drinking and driving?

My personal suspicion--though I cannot spell it correctly--is that this shooter either is a psychopath out to try and scam the system just to prove he can, or else he is a paranoid schizophrenic.

In the first case, I would vote for the death penalty. In the second, I would think compassion requires us both to give him appropriate treatment and not kill him, and to lock him up to protect the rest of us from him.

I've lived through a friend with brain cancer, and you might be surprised what it can make a person "hear" and "see" and "think" and "do." All of which went away after the surgeons removed the cancer.

Or maybe you think we should just shoot'em.

Edited to add: as per your reasoning, Jesus should have been executed for letting the adulteress get away. He was "rebellious" and failed to uphold the OT law, si como no?

#31 nodak, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
  12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So you would punish a person for doing what they cannot help and you think I am cruel? Also how are they kept from reoffending? Are you suggesting locking them in solitaire for the rest of their life? Talking about a cruel heart!

13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did I say anything about punishment? No. If an offender has a deemed mental condition and needs to be confined in a secure facility for treatment, while he's there he is not a public threat.

14. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

And FAL, to the best of my recollection I have never said that you were cruel. Bitter, yes. Not cruel.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

First a brain tumor does not cause mental illness. Second your example of someone driving on snow has no merit in comparison with murder.
    Also the heart attack person has no virtue in this as it is totally off the wall.

When a person plans murder over months and carries it out the remedy is execution. You are deceived if you think locking someone away is mercy.

As to your friend who had cancer. If they had murdered then the death penalty should be given. If they understand enough to take the life then they know enough to forsake their own.

Lastly about the Lord and the adulterous woman. It is extremely unfortunate that people do not read the bible carefully. Jesus did not let her go. First off He as an individual under the law had no right to stone her Himself. Second He actually did tell those who had that right, to stone her. READ THE TEXT! They decided not to stone her out of personal guilt which was a violation of the law. It was those who brought her who violated the law, not the Lord. Under the law He had no authority to do anything except what He did.

There is simply no condition that can cause a person to carry out planned murder other then the condition of sin in the heart.

Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are playing word games. The treatment called for is execution not locking them away and putting them on drugs.
    Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Either way it is your perception because of a blinded heart. You reject the word of God for your own made-up desires.

18. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I reject the word of Freeatlast.

#38 Arbo, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
  19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I am "open" to there being allowed mitigating circumstances, but you HAVE to support that with some verses from the Bible with God saying that!

20. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is it any wonder that you have the reputation that you do when you revert to this type of post?

I would like to know how it has come to be that you know that which is in the above post of yours.

You are a false accuser.

We read in Scripture of another false accuser who goes by another name. Don't do his work for him.