1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Public debates on "feet washing"

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Nov 10, 2006.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am working on compiling a list of oral public or written debates discussing the subject of "the washing of the saints' feet". I hope some of you historians here can help me.

Are any of you aware of any debates on this subject? I am most interested in debates in which one disputant was some kind of Baptist (especially the one taking the "pro" position). The only one like that of which I am aware was recently reprinted by one of our members, Jeff Weaver (http://www.lulu.com/content/205777). But I would be interested in hearing of debates by others as well. If you know of any, I would appreciate getting as much information as possible on each one, or enough information to start me on a search. [Note: I am interested whether the particular debate is available in book format or not]

Thanks so much.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't found another debate in which a Baptist took the "pro-feet washing" side, except for two Free Will Baptists versus Church of Christ {Marion F. Davis [Church of Christ] vs Earl Jensen [Freewill Baptist Church]; Selma, CA; 1950; and John W. Hedge [Church of Christ] vs Ralph Staten [Freewill Baptist Church]; Grubbs, AR; 1944}. But while searching around online, I found the following. Neither debater is a Baptist, but the Churches of God, General Conference is a baptistic Arminian fundamental type church body. The "Winebrenner" Church of God folks entered into a number of "pro-feet washing" debates. The quote reveals some of the thought process is such a debate:

I am thinking that in the prime of the debating age a goodly number of Baptists might have been somewhat "neutral" on the feet washing issue, and therefore not too prone to debate other denominations about it. For example, Sylvester Hassell claimed in his day that perhaps half of the Primitive Baptists practiced it and half did not. Either this, or I just haven't located the information yet.