1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Public, Private, Christian or Home Schools

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Apr 12, 2007.

?
  1. Public School

51.3%
  2. Private (Non-Christian) School

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Christian School

25.6%
  4. Home School

23.1%
  1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I checked the web site & was impressed with your school. I think you are right, there are too many with low academic standards or worse -- schools similar to gotochurch's comments.

We recently moved our teens to a Christian school. It is similar in size to your school (more than 1,100 in all schools), but it is not sponsored by any local church. We have most of the class offerings (including AP courses), arts programs & athletics found in the large public school. Thus far, we have been very pleased.

2. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

I understand what you are saying about such schools. I am familiar with such places and would argue that their "Christian Education" is neither.

However, I would disagree about educating according to the "world." Rather, I want my children taught according to a Christian world view.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wasn't talking about math or english...but that it's OK to have two daddys or two mommys...premarital sex is normal, just protect yourself, etc. Public school teachers endorse this kind of garbage. I attended a public school...I know.

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is ok to have two daddy's and two mommy's - happens in divorce situations all the time (though I am sure that was directed in a somewhat homophopic way toward gay couples) of note children have no control over the behavior of their parents and should not be held accountable for their choices.

Premarital sex is normal - has been for almost ever and protection is a good idea; however we are called as Christians to a higher standard of purity then those that are not Christians and don't understand God's desire in this area of their lives. We should be very careful of expecting Christian, righteous behavior of non-Christians.

Not all public school teachers endorse types of things you are fearful of and I know I too attended a public school, for whatever that's worth.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is not homophobic to call homosexuality a sin - and to expect that we can teach our children morality at home. I don't want my children taught that sin is normal.

Again, sin is sin - and if sin is normal, I don't want my children taught that it is right.

By the way, unless you are currently in public school or have children in it, you have no idea what is going on. Even if you graduated 10 years ago (I graduated 24 years ago) things are entirely different now than it was back then. Kids don't have sex, they "hook up". They are performing oral sex on the bus. Drinking is normal. Disrespect of the teacher is the rule - not the exception. It's a very different world now.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I voted public, but this fall I will be homeschooling Chris.

We have excellent public schools in our area, with one exception. They are not set up to accomodate chronically ill children who miss more than a few days per year. Because of his migraines, Chris is up to almost 80 absences so far this year. That is whole day absences and doesn't count the number of times he has come in late or checked out early, nor does it count the number of days he went in with the migraine. Much easier to count the days he was there all day: about 40.

In fairness, the school has done an excellent job in trying to keep him up and his grades for the most part have been fair. But he could do better if he weren't constantly trying to catch up. The stress of constant makeup work, coupled with trying to understand new material that he hasn't done the foundation work for makes for more migraines and more absences and it becomes a vicious cycle that never seems to end. It really isn't the schools fault nor do I believe they could do more to solve the problem. Public schools simply aren't set up to handle this kind of thing.

Homeschooling, I believe, will help alleviate some of this stress mainly because in homeschooling in our area you don't count absences, you only count attendence. Once you have accomplished 180 days, your school year is done. This is because homeschoolers work through private Christian "cover" schools and in order to provide the most freedom they run their school year from July 1 through June 30. This approach will give us 365 chances to work 180 days because we'll be able to work in the evenings or on weekends and other non-traditional times and places that are pretty much denied to us now.

It will also mean that we drop work when the migraine hits and pick back up at the same place when he is able. No catching up to do. No more of this "we did such and such while you are sick AND now we're doing this and this" and having to have him complete two (and sometimes 3 or 4) different sets of work at the same time.

Public school just can't offer us these things. Our laws don't allow for a 365 day timeframe for our 180 day school year. When the gov sets dates for the year they have to start and finish within those dates.

The girls on the otherhand will stay in public school. Like I said ours are excellent. While one of the girls does also suffer with chronic illnesses, she doesn't miss nearly the amount of school as our son. Thanks to some changes that were made in the school system last year, her school has been able to handle her absences quite well and she is on the AB honor roll again this year. Her case is totally different than Chris' in that while she can't handle the noise and light of sitting in the classroom, she usually can handle doing the work(we have to set up the room correctly, with soft indirect lighting and no noise). Chris on the otherhand is completely incapable of doing anything most days.

All this to say: every family must choose for themselves what the best educational setting is for each of their individual children.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't call homosexuality a sin, you made backhanded remark about someone having two daddies or two mommies. If you meant to say that homosexuality is a sin you should say that...otherwise you come off as homophobic

Not only does my child attend a public school, but my wife teaches there as well!

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Note - I wasn't the poster that you responded to - I was just clearing up a common error that people make. Christians are against homosexuality, therefore, they're homophobic. Yep. Get this all the time. Meanwhile, I know a number of homosexuals, am friends with them and pray for them regularly.

Since you have a child in public school and a wife who teaches there, then you may be aware of the difference in schools in the last, even just 10 years! I'm just amazed at what my girls tell me. THEY'RE shocked!! They've only been in public school for the last 3 years (oldest - the younger one is in her first year) and they just don't understand why things are the way they are. Fortunately, they stand against much of the tide. They're great girls with a heart for the Lord and aren't afraid to let it be known.

Again, I don't want my children taught that sin is "normal" and fine. Teach them math. Teach them reading. Teach them writing. Teach them history. Teach them science and art and music and sports. Do not teach them morality. That's my job and when the schools teach morality, they are undermining MY authority over my children. THAT'S what I don't want.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The tone of your comments came off (again) somewhat homophobic, that's all I was pointing out.

Yes, it is sometimes shocking, can't disagree

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

All I said is homosexuality is a sin. Again, I think you're wanting to talk to Webdog - his was the post you were originally responding to.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right

12. gekko

gekko New Member

i don't have children. so i took the question as: "where would you send your children to school?"

:p -- i put public.

i've been in private christian myself - and the only difference between that and public is that you have to pay for private.

homeschooling would be nice - but that's just idealistic for me. haha.
    if i had the means and resources - i'd do half n' half for homeschooling and public.

and within that mix of public and homeschool - you don't really have to pay much - and you get Christ incorporated into the learning.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If the only difference was money, you must have been in a very liberal christian school.

14. gekko

gekko New Member

no not really. it was mennonite. haha.

in public schools you can teach creation. even teach about God. can even read scripture.

teachers just don't do it though. friend of mine - his wife is a teach and does it though.

so really there is no difference.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not in NY! You'd get drawn and quartered, then fried then sat in front of the class while they all shot at you with spit balls.

Then the board would get involved. It would be ugly.

There were recently issues with a friend of mine teaching creation science in the continuing ed program through the school district. It's still being dealt with by lawyers.

16. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

My kid is in a private Christian school. I am impressed with the school and the teachers who actualy care about the students.

Why.

Because I live in Utah where every school, even public is a religious school.

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Where I work I have children, and that is where we send the kids to school.

18. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wait a minute SaggyWoman! Wait a minute. You do not have any children, nor grandchildren. You can't take this poll. :laugh:

On the other hand, Lenke and I have three grandchildren and two of them are attending Christian School. The third one will enter preschool next fall. :type:

19. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Yes, there is a huge difference, though I'm sure it depends on where you live as to how much of a difference.