1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Public Smoking to end in Hawaii

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Ben W, May 22, 2006.

1. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Gershom

If it makes you feel better I will compair it to your car.

Your car should be banned because when I am outside and you drive by I am forced to smell the exaust.

My point is the same either way. Hopefully you will find this less silly so we can get back to the issue.

2. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Dale, you sound similar to a Mormon I once knew with that comment.

DeeJay, there is no Wakiki Hilton, there is the historical Hilton Hawaiian Village that is in Wakiki. It is a beautiful resort where the former royalty of Hawaii once owned property. They banned smoking there already, before it becomes a law. That is why you didnt find any ashtrays. Also the plant helped rid the area of your smoking.

You broke the rules of the establishment you stayed in, which shows two small things: perhaps your habits are beyond your control and you dont have much respect for basic rules.

I dont care if you smoke. Just dont do it around me. 3,000 people die each year from second hand smoke, and Ive already been exposed the first 19 years of my life.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Almost scary to be in agreement with a mormon! lol

To clarify thinkgs, smoking is unhealthy and in certian environments, it can be unhealty for those around too. (like when someone is in the same room or anywhere near! lol)

I can't stand to be around cigarette smoke. I always ask for a non-smoking table at restaraunts etc.

I would encourage any establishment that wants my business to ban smoking inside their building.

Ok, is it clear that I don't like cigarette smoking?

Having said that, it is such a minor issue that Christians make such a big deal about when important things like the aknowledgement of God in public places and the killing of unborn babies goes on.

God isn't going to destroy this country for smoking, but He is sending judgement on us for truly serious matters.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

If a particular private business wants to ban smoking within their jurisdiction (their own property) then it is wrong for any one to violate the rights of the property owner.

If the government wants to make the ban, they are saying that it is they that own the property.
    Maybe they do, and in that case they can make that decision.

5. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

It was the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I stayed in the Ranbow tower. It is a Hilton Hotel on Wakiki beach, I guess calling it wakiki hilton is improper.

I was unaware of the no smoking rule as there were not signs and the watress not only saw me she brought me a book of matches to light the cigar. She left before I noticed there were no ashtrays. Half way thru my cigar I got her attention and she brought me one. If smoking is against the rules the employees dont do a very good job of enforcing it.

As for my habits being out of control. Well I guess if you call 3 or 4 cigars a year out of control then I am on a rampage.

3000 people die a year from second hand smoke? Funny I have never met, known or even heard of anybody who has died of secondhand smoke. I doubt that propaganda. And we are talking about smoking outdoors. Again your car should be banned.

6. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Dales comments sound nothing like Mormons and they are in opposition to what Mormons believe. That Mormon you once knew must be an odd duck.

Posting from Salt Lake
    DeeJay

7. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Emerald

I have a question for you. When I look at the hotel web sight

http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/index_flash.asp

Go to the ranbow tower and go to book a room online.

Why is the first question it askes is if I want my room to be smoking or non-smoking?

Next question. Where did you get your, obviously wrong, information about the whole property being smoke free?

8. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was stationed in Hawaii for four years and just left there 7 months ago or so and they were talking about it then, but I didn't think it would ever pass.

By the way, I have stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and really recommend everyone to get out of Waikiki and explore the Windward side of the island.

IMO not smoking can only be a good thing.

9. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

AF

We stayed in Makaha resort on the west shore of the island for the first half the week. When we were done with our work our boss was kind enough to move us to the Hilton. Both places were nice but I loved Waikiki. I have heard sunset beach is nice, is that what you mean by windward? We also had to go to some town (dont know name) on the east shore by Kaneohe bay for work but did not get to play. But the drive over the mountains was beautiful.

AF I agree. Not smoking is a good thing, along with dieting and excersise. BUT it is not the goverments roll to outlaw everything that is not good for us.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

"AF I agree. Not smoking is a good thing, along with dieting and excersise. BUT it is not the goverments roll to outlaw everything that is not good for us."

My point exactly

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This law has been in effect it Ireland for about 2 years now.

Pragmatically for me it was the best thing to ever happen. The law even applies to pubs, so people must come outside to smoke.

After an initial shock tourism and pub business is strnoger than ever.

12. kubel

kubel New Member

The issue I have isn't about smoking and how nasty it is. It's more about "whats next?". Banning smoking on private property puts the governments foot in the door for making more big-brother laws. I don't think it is the duty of the government to tell the people how to run their lives. Just my opinion.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Yeah! We need to get rid of those oppressive DUI laws and child molestation laws, don't we?

14. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

No hotels on Sunset beach. And yeah you can get a room to smoke in because that is considered private, but the main part of the public spaces of the property is supposed to be smoke free, according to the guy who answered the phone at the reception desk.

Windward is more Kaneohe Bay and Kailua, Sunset is more North Shore.

As far as the Mormons are concerned, if you think that they dont believe that caffiene thing, just visit the Polynesian Cultural Center, where you can purchase a caffiene free coke, but that is about it. It also is smoke free. They dont believe in partaking in anything that can be deemed addictive. And that would fit nicely into this smoking conversation.

Deejay, I dont know, perhaps you dont attend funerals or maybe you socialize with very few people? I cant explain why youve never managed to meet one of the 3000 people per year that dies of lung cancer from second hand smoke. Could it be perhaps they die before you knew about it or maybe youre a bit like my mother was, and ignores everything she contributes to? *shrugs*

Or could we attribute it to the fact you live in Salt Lake City, where most people, due to their religious beliefs, dont smoke?

Dana Reed, Christopher Reed's ex wife (the actor in Superman) recently died of lung cancer and she never smoked.

The government prob shouldnt regulate speeding or the use of cell phones while driving either, but all it takes is for someone to lose their life while doing it and some people are out there demanding regulation.

15. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Like I said the waitress brought me the book of matches. There were people smoking all over the place. If it is a rule it is not a serious one. How could I obey a rule that is not posted and nobody mentions.

Since as you noticed I live in Salt Lake, let me clear up some misconsections. Mormons are not against caffiene. There are a very few that are the more radical that do but the vast majority of them down caffiene like theres no end. There are some resteraunts in Utah that have Caff free and alot that do not but caff free is not sold very often. Mormons are against coffee and tea because it is a hot drink, they make an exception for hot chocolate (dont know why). My sources for this. Well I was a Mormon, my wife was, all my in laws are, my mom is, all my moms family is, most all of my friends coworkers aquantences. You get the picture.

Smoking in Utah is on the low side of avg. But there is enough I should have seen some of these 3000 deaths.
    And nobody has answered my question yet. SHOULD CARS, TRUCKS AND BUSES BE OUTLAWED?

If you say no you are inconsistant. Exaust causes far more health problems then second hand smoke.

16. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

What if the Trucks run on Bio-Diesel? :smilewinkgrin:

17. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Well since Bio Diesel is organically derived oil. And my cigar is also organic. I would say if cars, buses and trucks switch to Bio Diesel they should then be allowed to share the out doors with me and my cigar. :)