1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Publishing Your First Book

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Martin, May 2, 2008.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone on this forum ever published a book through Xulon Press or some other company like that? I am thinking about getting started on my first book. I think something like Xulon would be good to help me get my feet wet (etc). Any ideas, experiences, links?

2. RevJWWhiteJr

RevJWWhiteJr New Member

Xulon Press

Yes. The third week of February 2008, The Partial Rapture "Theory" Explained / Escaping the Coming Storm was published through Xulon Press. They have several "packages" that can be purchaced depending on your financial ablity. My book is listed and marketed through all major retailers and many small retail outlets. Currently it is being offered through,

Books a Million, Borders, Barnes and Noble as well as many global markets through Amazon.com / Canada, Denmark, The United Kingdom, Germany, France even Japan and others.

I have been informed it should be on the shelf at Target in a few weeks and although Wal Mart will not carry it on the shelf, they have a direct link to Barnes and Noble.

Use any good online book search site, and hunt up my book with various search text. (Author: J W White or Chip White) (keywork: partial rapture) ect., or complete title. Anywhere you would find my book you would find your own under similar patterns. E-mail me for specifics. I will return information and comments, especially concerning the cover. (That's me and one of my second best friends on our bikes making up the front cover) [email protected]

#2 RevJWWhiteJr, May 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a published writer, let me give you a tip: Don't self-publish your own work. If you are indeed a good writer, and have something of value to contribute to good readers, a publishing company should be paying YOU for your work, not the other way around. Yes, it takes time and patience to find the right company who will accept your manuscripts, but in the long run it will be worth it. In the publishing world, getting "self-published" usually means your work is not good enough to be accepted by a mainstream publisher, or it means your work isn't interesting enough to attract buyers. I would pray about it and continue to submit manuscripts to different companies until one of them accepts you.

4. RevJWWhiteJr

RevJWWhiteJr New Member

Self Publication

Toward the goal of keeping the peace, I will assume present company accepted, since my work is unfamiliar to most as yet.

Granted, there exists many would be writers that are able to publish through the self publishing avenue who have little or no talent or are passionate about a subject that few have interest in. Their work will therefore not fare well in any market.

Also granted, self publishing establishments, correctly referred to as a “press” (sometimes called “vanity press“) can and will publish any manuscript of appropriate length which could be printed in book form for a fee, but lacks the quality and professionalism that is expected to be found inside that industry. I agree with you in that this is an unfortunate truth.

However, I have also seen (as I am sure you have) the reverse in print from professional publishing establishments. Work that should not have been given consideration for publication, yet was. I also have my own opinion of a few current authors in relation to their work, (although good, as well as relevant) I consider not on the level it is accepted by the industry.

As a writer, I did a great amount of research on both subjects before once choosing to be self published. There are a number of authors in history (as I am sure you are aware) who began there careers self published and some who remained so their entire careers. Self publishing, if successful, allows the writer certain benefits within his work as well as rewards. There is a measure of freedom that is not always found by being bound by contract to others.

I would also add, we are both jumping the gun, in that Martin has stated he was interested in “writing” his own book. He is far from ready to contact a publisher or press at this time. Especially a press, in that there is an atmosphere of haste on the part of the “publisher” in the form of deadlines for discounts and inclusion in book conventions. Of which I was going to inform Martin of in private. RevJW.

#4 RevJWWhiteJr, May 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008
  5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the advice. I have also been looking into Chapel Hill Press. A friend of mine published a book with them and he said it was a positive experience. I like the idea of Xulon, and may use them at some point, but I am wanting to target a more academic audience with my work. Which, btw, will probably be an extended version of my thesis on New England Puritans and King Philip's War. I still have not settled on an official title but in cooperation with my major professors I am hard at work. The work focuses on how Puritan views of the Native Americans may have lead to King Philips War. I must admit this research has taken some turns I don't like. I admire many of the Puritans for their theology. However they did not practice what they preached when it came to the Native Americans of New England. At some point I would also like to write a religious history of Southeastern North Carolina. Maybe focusing my attention on towns that border the Cape Fear River (Wilmington, Fayetteville, etc).

6. RevJWWhiteJr

RevJWWhiteJr New Member

Historic disapointments

When it comes to the study of history, and one gets into the little known details, one will find many such examples in (almost?) every person, peoples, circumstance or event. History is told from the perspective of the victor at the time, and it is many hundreds of years (sometimes thousands, if ever) that the near truth is found, discovered or revealed. (It is never complete).

Concerning the subject of this thread, let me know if I can advise. RevJW.