1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pulpit Bible Selection - which?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jprieto, Nov 29, 2011.

1. jprieto

jprieto New Member

Im into daily Bible study. And I underline, highlight, and make margin notes, on passages that has deep meaning for me, or that I would like to share with others.

Starting next month, I will be making local appearances in front of various groups.

My question is:

Would it be proper if I use my personal Bible, with all its markings and highlights, to preach ...... does it looks bad? ...... or is it more proper to use ANOTHER one that is free of markings and highlights, etc.

I mean, when you see Joel Olsteen, John Haggee, and other preachers on TV preach, when the camera is angled over their shoulders .... the Bible page is seen always free of markings or highlights or anything else.

What is your view on this?

Should a minister have 2 bibles: one for study and another for public preaching? OR is it okay, and also public acceptable, to use the SAME?

What say you?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think it matters...just use the one your most comfortable with.

Keep in mind pastors of large churches often have stacks of Bibles available to them. It's. It the same thing. Personally nobody has ever complained to me about a marked up text when I wave it at them.

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where Ever I Share Jesus,

I use my New American Standard. However, I do quote a lot from the Amplified Bible, as I like some of its clear interpretation of passages.

I've never had anyone question or challenge me, and I've shared at Nazarene, Baptist (many different leanings), Lutheran, Assembly of God, Church of God - Anderson Indiana, Full Gospel Businessmen's Group, Church of Christ, Teen Challenge, and many non-Denominational groups and churches.

BTW - My NAS is marked up really good, and I'd be lost without that Bible. On a lighter side, I have had a great many people ask if they could have that particular Bible when I leave this life. I felt that to be a compliment. :smilewinkgrin:

As for Osteen and Hagee, well, it is not necessary for me to be like them, or anyone else. Besides, I'm pretty sure the reason behind them using an unmarked Bible has to do with the fact that they probably have an expensive Telemonitor system.

#3 righteousdude2, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011