1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pulpit in the Middle

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer is very simple - a woman would have trouble making up her mind which side to go to! :laugh:

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess his idea was if she wasn't "in the pulpit" anything she said wasn't preaching. Remember, this was back in the 1940s and earlier. Our pulpit's been in the middle of the platform for at least the last 55 years. Though, it is movable for times when we need the platform but not a pulpit e.g. weddings.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I like the pulpit in the middle but have seen it at the side. Or less the pastor or speaker is an exceptional orator I like him at the pulpit. I guess it is my weakness but I find myself counting how many times he goes one way or the other and how many steps he takes before he turns and so on. A good orator and a real good message I seem to do well if he running around or not, I learn.

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Our Pulpit is in the middle, normally; but it thankfully has wheels, so it can be moved easily by one person,

This past Sunday we had a Christmas Choir Cantata for the first half of the service, so the pulpit was moved to the side, so when the pastor came up to preach, he could see both the congregation, and turn to his right and "preach to the choir."

Then when we had our children's program, we put the pulpit in another room.

We have also had women speak or read from the pulpit on occasion, Each Advent Sunday, we have a whole family come up to read scripture, light an advent candle, & pray...usually the woman reads and the man prays, the kids help light the candle if they are old enough... but we leave that decision up to the Families.