1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Puppets

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ulsterman, Aug 8, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And once again, the Greek word in 1 Cor. 1:21 is kerugma, meaning the message. The verse says nothing at all about the method.:type:

2. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Methodology changes all the time...including the method of preaching and proclaiming. Many people are stubburn and/or just too lazy to adjust their methodology so they raise up theologicaly sounding arguments to keep them from having to organize a puppet ministry, learn video editing, enlist a drama team, etc.

They harp on these arguments so long that similar subborn and lazy people will pat them on the back or say "amen" and everyone feels happy.

Unfortunately, there are still lost people in the world and way too many lazy preachers no willing to reach them, lest they find their way in front of the pulpit.

Very, very sad.

3. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

O.K. time for a break so everyone can get their copy out and read it of:

Warnings to the Churches, J.C. Ryle
    and also
    Today's Gospel, Synthetic or Authentic, Walter Chantry

These are both great and give great perspective to what is happening today and what is o.k. for today. Worth a read!!

4. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Sorry, I don't put any faith in the infallible books of man to tell me what is OK for today. I would rather get out my copy of the BIBLE and study and discern for myself what is OK.

5. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

I would certainly hope everyone here does read their bible extensively!

The books I mentioned describe the apostasy of todays churches and how to respond effectively and how to worship in a biblical manner to prevent such from occuring!

Blessings!

6. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

That's just it. I don't need some book to tell me the "biblical" way to worship. My Bible is perfectly suited for that job.

7. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

filmproducer:

Forgive me if I answered out of turn. I know canadyjd will answer much more thoroughly than I could. Your post indicated a question and I responded with a suggestion.
    Blessings!

8. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

BTW, By no stretch of the imagination can I imagine any christian viewing a movie as titled in your avatar! To capitalize on such abomination.........

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No need to be sorry, Filmproducer. This is a debate board.

The word God uses in Hebrews 12:28-29 for “reverence” is the Greek word “eulabeia” which means “Godly fear”. Awe must denote a sense of wonder at the magnificent, glorious God of the universe. God must be approached with respect and Godly fear. That is what pleases Him, and most beneficial to us.

It is not about relating to puppets. It is about following scripture and showing God the proper reverence He is due. That cannot be done with puppets because they are irreverent by design. I have already explained what I mean by irreverent by design.

peace to you:praying:

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, Lagardo!

When people were preaching the Gospel with the specific goal of getting the apostle Paul in worse trouble, he wrote in Phil. 1:18, "What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice." But our friends on this thread consider it a sin to use puppets to give the Gospel. I'll take Paul's attitude any day! :thumbs:

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where? I've been waiting for you to do this and haven't seen it yet. My puppet is a skunk. God created skunks. So how can a stuffed (with my hand) skunk be irreverent by design if it is designed to be a creature God made? It speaks with my words and voice. It will not be irreverent unless I am.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brothers

Might I take a little poetic license with your statement?

May I change it to:

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, John of Japan, this thread is not about you or your puppet ministry. I can't understand why you are trying to make this personal.

I have repeatedly stated why puppets are irreverent. You do not agree with me. Hey, guess what? I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I based my opinion on scripture. You have rejected my interpretation of scripture. That's fine. Why do you insist on trying to make this ugly?

If you cannot discuss this issue without resorting to insults, then I really don't want to discuss this with you anymore.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

May I ask how 1 John affects our reverence of God?

Since the Apostle was clear that those who do not love each other in Christ, do not know Christ . . .

Is there any way to revere God without loving each other?

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    no

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, come now, I haven't insulted you! Name a single insult and I'll apologize! And I'm not trying to make it ugly. I'm debating!

Can you answer my points? Very simply, I use puppets, I have explained how, now you tell me how it is irreverent. I won't be offended, I'll just say, "So that's what he means!"

You have not "repeatedly stated why puppets are irreverent." You have repeatedly stated that puppets are irreverent. I'm still waiting for the why. Otherwise as you say, we just differ in opinion, because that is all it is, opinion.

17. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Yes, well if you do not think puppets can be used to the glory and honor of God, I have no reason to think you would approve of movies either.

Not that I feel I have to justify my ministry, but our movie is not meant to "capitalize on such abomination". Do you even know what the movie is about? Did you even watch the trailer? I would encourage you do so. In the meantime, you can get a better idea of who we are, and what we are about, by looking at our website.

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

peace to you :praying:

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I read back through these posts and there just seems to be a worldly focus upon puppets. I do not know why something that God has not deemed as unclean can be so regarded as dirty, or beneath God.

It was the Lord in the flesh that commanded us to come unto Him as little children. And if puppets do not bring out the little child in all of us, then what would?

May God give you some of that peace :praying:

20. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Do you not think that a child who sees a puppet show in SS and understands it would also have that sense of wonder, awe, and respect that is pleasing to God? That awe and respect is not for the puppets but for God. The puppets are a mere tool to aid in understanding, nothing else.

Also, forgive me again, but I missed where you explained what "irreverent by design" means. Would you be so kind as to repeat yourself or direct me to the post?

Thanks