1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Puppets

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ulsterman, Aug 8, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

IMHO - The cookie monster version does sound better . . .

I do not know how the subject was moved from using puppets to using puppets for the sermon, things like that happen. And I think that was probably most of the issue.

Whether or not John uses puppets, I feel that he is doing the best that he can to reach the lost - and that is what Paul was saying that he was all things to all people.

IMHO - preaching about paganism to contrast their worship of an unknown god with God is not reverent, but Paul did it.
    So, personally, I can see some people using puppets to get down to the level of the kids. Have you seen what some adults look like? Puppets are a lot less scary sometimes. ;)

Peace to you :praying:

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

mea culpa . . . already used the quote

. . . notice that I did not borrow your words this time.

"mia culpa" - I try not to mix up languages . . . gets too confusing.

peace

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

4. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Alas, the area of my brain which remembers spelling has gone to bed.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I have good news and bad news. The part of your brain that you were worried about was not in error. It wasn't your spelling that got confused, it was your languages . . .

Mia is spanish for the latin mea . . . I do believe.

And if truth be known, you could probably say, me culpa in spanish - if my brain has not gone to sleep . . .

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are going against scripture, even if your intentions are good, then you are relying on the wisdom of man and the world. By the very act of changing what God has commanded, you are proclaiming His Word to be insufficient.

I am going to give you some unsolicited advice. Do not assume you know what is in people's hearts. Do not assume you are more passionate for God or for the lost than someone else. As Paul said, work out your salvation with fear and trembling, and a healthy dose of humility.

peace to you:praying:

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my post I was referencing what transpired in my Sunday School experience at one church in particular . I really was handed what were actually called gizmos and gadgets . I did not want to use such playthings . It is a distraction from teaching the Word of God . Can you imagine the Apostle Paul using such "helps" !

But if gizmos , gadgets , puppets etc. are going to be used in a Sunday worship service -- it is totally out-of-line . I guess as a non-Fundamentalist I would be out-of-step with that program . But ironically I think my thoughts are not as liberal as some Fundies .

8. Rachel

Rachel New Member

:eek: :confused: :eek: Wow! THis is a first for me. I've never heard anyone say they were against the puppet ministry. Most people really love it.
    I'll have to come back and read this thread. I only read the 1st page.

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, this is a fairly narrow view of puppets. My skunk and rabbit puppets are actually designed to look just like the real thing, not a caricature (sp?). Also, there are many puppets around the world that are not designed to look humerous. For example, look at the puppets sometimes used in movies and on TV shows. There have been serious kids shows done with puppets down through the years. Again, the Japanese do not consider the monsters they make for their movies to be humorous (though I do!:smilewinkgrin: ). Again, Japanese Noh drama puppets are entirely serious.

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    OH NO! I am a narrow-minded puppet-phobe:smilewinkgrin:

I have no doubt your puppet show is a sound presentation of the gospel message. I didn't believe for a second that you were intentionally trying to be irreverent. You mentioned it was done only in SS class.

Has anyone ever asked you to do the show in a worship service so the parents can see it? If they haven't, I wouldn't have to be a prophet to predict it will happen at some time. You agreed earlier that would be innappropriate, so "good luck" should it happen.

Again, I am not speaking of movies or T.V. shows. We are speaking of what is appropriate when we approach our LORD. I believe scripture tells us how we should approach God. When the subject matter is Christ and the Gospel, then the issue of reverence should always be kept in mind.

I once visited a church that did a puppet show in the morning worship service. They had a puppet that represented Jesus which sang "Why-y-yy....Not...Today" to the tune of "YMCA". I am sure you can imagine my reaction.:tear:

peace to you:praying:

12. Pete

Pete New Member

I'm not married so didn't have puppet show at wedding, but if I did get hitched Charlie Chimp would probably be best man (even though he would probably try and trade the ring for a few bananas) and deliver a great speech at reception. Same deal for my funeral, if I get enough warning before carking it I'll sure try and arrange for the Chimp to deliver eulogy by dvd.

Puppets are designed and made to...have a hand placed in them and that's about it really, they're pretty much just a fancy glove. Anything/everything else comes from what the person with the hand in the puppet says and does with it.

A puppet can not meet that requirement because as mentioned they are basically a glove, however the Christian puppeteers themselves are another story. For some 5-10 minute puppet shows I've spent up to 5 hours in preparing. Reading and re-reading the related passage, then if needed double checking in different translations, triple checking with a few commentaries, quadruple checking with some concordances....while discussing it with mum the whole way through and getting her final ok before using it. I make sure I get mum's approval on the script because 1: She's a Saint (for 66 out of almost 76 years) and has forgotten more than I'll probably ever learn (not that she has forgotten anything), and 2: She performs the other puppet that keeps Charlie Chimp under control.

So I guess the 1¢ summary of my 2¢ worth is: God bless the puppeteers, the non-puppeteers, puppet lovers, puppet haters, and just generally everyone in no particular order :wavey:

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brother John

I respect your continued peace. Your spirit of peace honors and worships Our God in a manner that is reverent and fearful of the wrath of the Almighty.

Even as I read your responses: God is teaching me to become more fearful that even one soul might be lost to eternal damnation should I refuse to be all things to all people. Your proclamation of His Kingdom resonates with His revealed and Inspired Word - His Holy Bible.

I, as a servant of the Most High God, affirm that reverence of Him is demanded, desired by Him, and He deserves the very best. I, personally, have been broken in His presence at 2 o'clock in the morning often enough to know His desire for the lost to be found and rescued from eternal damnation.

I affirm you and I affirm His work through you in His ministry through you. Yes, I affirm your Theology even when the mode to deliver the Message of the Good News to a lost and dying world is to use puppets. I affirm your use of puppets to deliver the Gospel, even when adults happen to watch.

I pray that the Lost will continue to come to Jesus through His ministry through you.

May your morning be calm in the land that needs Him so desperately.

God bless you

Wayne
    PS Brother Fred Moore (sp) was an inspiring man as well.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repent!
    In a Japanese church? Won't happen! These people are too serious.
    Yes but as I said my puppets are just like real animals--not caricatures. It is not just TV or Noh puppets that are not "irreverent."
    Shudder!

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks so much for your prayer and affirmation, Wayne!

Brother Fred Moritz and his wife are some of my favorite people.:thumbsup:

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brother Moritz impressed me a lot. Not that my impreesion by itself is saying much.

He knows his stuff AND he knows a lot about church planting.

God bless

Wayne

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has his M. Div. and D. Min. from Central Baptist Theological Seminary, and has visited many, many missionaries around the globe and church planters in the States. He has visited us over here twice, but doesn't come to Asia anymore because of handing the Asian fields over to our director, Dennis Walton, another D. Min. man from Central.