1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purchase of Real Property

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

My church recently made a decision to purchase 62 acres of property for a purchase price of nearly half a million dollars with a remote possibility of moving with in the next 25 to 50 years, or perhaps opening an additional Campus. When I was questioning a committee member about this he told me it was not in the immeadiate future to do this but it was too good of an investment to pass up. He said that this property would increase in value by 100% in the next 10 to 20 ears.
    My questionis this. Is this in the best interest of The Kingdom or could tranaactions like this jeopardise the tax free structure of the church?

2. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tough question, half a million dollors is alot of funds. I don't know how some teachers in our camp can teach that we should be frugel with out money and then spend tons of it on things they really don't need. If the Lord decides to bless the church with so much attendence say 10 years from now, I think he can get the church a deal on some land when the need is there. How does having 62 acres of un-used land further the gospel?

Around here in PA, the RCC closed a number of local churches. After a couple of years, the tax man took them to court and it was ruled that unused houses of worship were taxable at the regular rate. Needless to say there are currently some deals on church buildings.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If its too good to be true - it probally is

In our county - if the land / bldg is NOT being used for religious purposes - the real property taxes will be assessed.

The Roman Catholic church is going thu this right now in Cental NY as they closed many churches- so either they have to sell the buliding do somethin.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Proverbs 22: KJB
    7 The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.

Deuteronomy 15: KJB
    5 Only if thou carefully hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe to do all these commandments which I command thee this day.

6 For the Lord thy God blesseth thee, as he promised thee: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, but thou shalt not borrow; and thou shalt reign over many nations, but they shall not reign over thee.

7 If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother:

Matthew 6: KJB
    19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

5. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I know a church that bought about 10 acres about 15 years ago along a main road for possible future use, since their current location is off the road about 2 miles away. They built a pavilion on it and their youth met there periodically and they have a service there once a year.

I know that laws may be different in different states and counties; but my understanding is that they do not have to pay taxes on the land because they use it for worship and other activities each year.