1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purpose Driven Church: Misuse of Scripture

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Aug 21, 2003.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One major difference would be that Paul was writing under inspiration and Warren is not. This doesn't mean that we can't draw analogies from nature. IF scripture warrants the idea that healthy churches grow, then we can accept that as authoritative. I suspect that scripture will support the idea that healthy churches sometimes grow, healthy churches sometimes diminish, and sometimes healthy churches are killed by persecution. This assumes that the term "healthy" means sound in faith and practice. If "healthy" is defined to presuppose that there must be growth to be health, then the discussion is meaningless.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I went to The Purpose Driven Church conference in 2000. During that time he mentioned that about 75 percent of the people who attend the church there came to Christ through the people in the church. How many churches can make that claim?

I spoke with him personally. I found him to be a very genuine caring person. I did not find his sermons to be a bunch of nonessential fluff. The people at the church are empowered to do ministry. Anybody can start a ministry there. If I remember right Saddleback has started something like 35 new churches.

The church he started was started by faith. When he came to CA he did not have enough money to even pay his first months rent. By faith he went into a realtor's office and told him his story. The realtor found him a place. A man aent Rick a check for the first two months rent.

Obviously people are coming to Christ and being discipled. Maybe he does not do things quite the way we would but God is blessing his work. If you have noticed the church is not televised. It is done intentionally.