1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purpose of the Law vs. Purpose of the Gospel

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I have argued that God's appeal for the world to be reconciled is proof that all men have the ability to be reconciled.

Calvinists argue in rebuttal, that the command doesn't imply ability, and point to the demands of the law as proof. But here is the flaw in that way of thinking.

1. God DID provide a way for us to fulfill the law. How? Through belief in the one who fulfilled the Law in our stead...Christ.

2. What is the purpose of the Law? To act as a "tutor" to help men know they need Grace which comes through faith in Christ, right?

Thus, proof that men are unable to fulfill the law is not proof men can't have faith in the one who fulfilled the law once and for all. The law was given to show men they can't fulfill the law and need help, so what is the purpose of the gospel's call to be reconciled? Is it like the law in that the call to reconciliation through faith was given to show men they can't be reconciled through faith? Please explain?

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Exactly!

Why would dead men need a law to show them the requirements of God? According to Calvinism, they are dead and cannot respond anyway. When a person is physically dead, we don't explain to them that they are dead. Now if spiritual death is separation from God, which it is, it is necessary to show man his state and how to be reconciled to God.

3. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a great and, hopefully, thought provoking string but it has been my experience that Calvinists and Aremnians refuse to think. I am, like my first teacher, a Biblicist, buying into neither popular position because both must select some scripture and therefore, ignore, the rest of scripture to stand.

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I understand what you are saying. The problem is, however, everyone thinks their views are biblical and those who disagree with them are the ones who are not following the biblical mandate. I have never claimed to be an Armenian, but I am certainly not a Calvinist. I don't believe either side is correct. But, good luck getting a Calvinists to agree!

5. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

The primary of the law is to drive us to the end of ourselves, so that we will come to our senses and embrace Christ, and the Grace of God that secures us for heaven...

Glory to God!

7. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

The strongest points of one's argument are not typically reflected in the portion that his opponents address, but in the portions ignored.